Luggage Damaged on Aurora Disembarkation

tring

We had a case damaged at the beginning of this month and reported it at the port as normally done.  Details were taken and we were given a copy of the report, being told they would contact us within 72 hours, though if we did not hear in that time we could ring a phone number, which went through to the normal P&O answering system, answered by the bot which though we were asking about luggage labels, so it has not been easy to get through.  We have still not heard from P&O and DH eventually rang them at 8.30am yesterday and got through to a person.  The man who answered the phone was extremely rude though and kept interrupting DH as he tried to explain what we had been told.  The man insisted that we needed to email P&O attaching a copy of the report and they will then have another 28 days to reply.  He refused to give DH his name and totally refused to put DH through to a supervisor, when he asked.  We have sent an email, but are not confident this will be dealt with. 

Either the member of staff who took the report at Southampton was incorrect in what she had told us, or the rude man on the phone yesterday was wrong.  We certainly feel he should have at least have given us his name!  I would be very interested if @molecrochip could give an opinion on this and tell us what the system should be.  Do we really have to wait anther 28 days!

Also, has anyone else had luggage damaged and negotiated the system? 

Edited by tring

I cannot help you with the cases but if you have the actual time of the phone call and 

the guy was rude,then do another e-mail putting in a complaint to p&O.

I had similar with the AA a few years ago when I was with them.

The renewal quote was a lot higher than the pervious year.

I was told "We are not a charity, why do you expect lower prices,when we give you such good service "  When I tried to explain ,I had been told to ring if I was not happy and I had never claimed in over 20 years. He just cut me short  and told me he thought the price was good and try elsewhere if not happy .

Would not give his name or put me through to his manager .  The AA rang back and said they were sorry  after playing back the recording of my call and said that person no longer works for us and gave me a quote £25 less than the year before .

People at work have a right not to be abused , just like we do when calling them .

Don't let them get away with it  ! 

• Like 10

We had a case damaged a few cruises ago , the port staff helped tape up the damaged case and took our details , within a week we had confirmation to purchase a new case which we were reimbursed for and also my good ladies dresses which had dragged on the floor were either replaced with a cash adjustment or dry cleaning paid for , still unsure how such damage occurs as it was a top notch case but can have no complaints with how it was all dealt with . Hoping you have your issue resolved soon

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tring said:

We had a case damaged at the beginning of this month and reported it at the port as normally done.  Details were taken and we were given a copy of the report, being told they would contact us within 72 hours, though if we did not hear in that time we could ring a phone number, which went through to the normal P&O answering system, answered by the bot which though we were asking about luggage labels, so it has not been easy to get through.  We have still not heard from P&O and DH eventually rang them at 8.30am yesterday and got through to a person.  The man who answered the phone was extremely rude though and kept interrupting DH as he tried to explain what we had been told.  The man insisted that we needed to email P&O attaching a copy of the report and they will then have another 28 days to reply.  He refused to give DH his name and totally refused to put DH through to a supervisor, when he asked.  We have sent an email, but are not confident this will be dealt with. 

Either the member of staff who took the report at Southampton was incorrect in what she had told us, or the rude man on the phone yesterday was wrong.  We certainly feel he should have at least have given us his name!  I would be very interested if @molecrochip could give an opinion on this and tell us what the system should be.  Do we really have to wait anther 28 days!

Try an email to: Executive.Correspondence@carnivalukgroup.com - and make sure you mention your dissatisfaction with the guy on the phone. After receiving unsatisfactory responses from customer services I emailed Paul Ludlow directly, and received a response from this address.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LondonLad60 said:
Try an email to: Executive.Correspondence@carnivalukgroup.com - and make sure you mention your dissatisfaction with the guy on the phone. After receiving unsatisfactory responses from customer services I emailed Paul Ludlow directly, and received a response from this address.

I used this email address following issues regarding a cancellation & re-booking and the way it was being dealt with by staff on the phone.

Satisfactorily resolved within a couple of weeks.

Certainly worth emailing and letting the higher ups know how their staff are inapproriately treating customers.  At the least someone needs a bit of retraining.  Possibly even regrading to P45.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tring said:

Very poor customer service!

• Like 3

Thank you for your advice everyone, will will do as suggested and report back.

We know the call was on the dot of 8.30am yesterday as we knew there was more chance of getting through then, so they should be able to pick up a recording and listen to it as DH had mentioned in his initial email.  We do realise staff will have been under pressure over the last week or two since there has been a Cunard (and now P&O cruise launch), but this does need addressed.  

Will report back,

Barbara

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/17/2023 at 12:50 PM, molecrochip said:

You should have heard by now. Port team pass details to P&O on a cruise by cruise basis.

I would chase up via the email mentioned above. I’d also give details of call and time so the poor customer service call can be followed-up.

A three part update on this:-

We have had a call from P&O customer services this morning regards the damaged luggage this morning - five weeks after we disembarked.  It seems the procedure in use is that the passenger with the damaged luggage has to email P&O when they return home and that P&O do not automatically contact the customer, which is what we were told at Southampton,  They said they will contact the agent who deals with damaged luggage at the port about that, so correct information is given out in future.

The lady also said she had listened to the phone call DH had experienced with P&O regards this (mentioned above) and she apologised, agreeing it was totally unacceptable.  The person is to be "spoken to", so not sure what that means, though she had added that she was surprised as she knows the person concerned and felt it was out of character for him.  At least it has been brought to their attention and DH has had an apology.

Regards our damaged case, she had agreed to refund the price that we had paid for it, no quibble.  The payment system was going to be somewhat difficult for us though, as it would be refunded through something called, "Nat West pay it".  This means that within five working days, we would receive an email with a link which we would need to click and then submit our bank details, but that link only remains live for 30 days.  As we are going away for a long time next week, the email may not come in time for us complete the bank details and DH had no intention of logging into his banking details from anything other than our home computer.  As an alternative she offered to add OBC to our next cruise, which was declined as we will have about £1,200 OBC already for that cruise.  A third option is that they would take the value of the refund off the balance to be paid for that cruise, which we have accepted, since it seems it would remain "live" for two years and could be used against a different cruise if for some reason we needed to cancel that next one.  I think that is probably a future cruise credit, though that is not the exact words used to DH - she said she could add a credit to our balance due.

Hence all sorted now and we are quite happy.  A word of warning to anyone else who has luggage damaged though is that, although they will have reported the damage to the port agent on disembarkation, (which I assume is essential), they then need to email P&O to ask for it to be dealt with, attaching a copy of the report made at the port.

Edited by tring
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, tring said:

A three part update on this:-

We have had a call from P&O customer services this morning regards the damaged luggage this morning - five weeks after we disembarked.  It seems the procedure in use is that the passenger with the damaged luggage has to email P&O when they return home and that P&O do not automatically contact the customer, which is what we were told at Southampton,  They said they will contact the agent who deals with damaged luggage at the port about that, so correct information is given out in future.

The lady also said she had listened to the phone call DH had experienced with P&O regards this (mentioned above) and she apologised, agreeing it was totally unacceptable.  The person is to be "spoken to", so not sure what that means, though she had added that she was surprised as she knows the person concerned and felt it was out of character for him.  At least it has been brought to their attention and DH has had an apology.

Regards our damaged case, she had agreed to refund the price that we had paid for it, no quibble.  The payment system was going to be somewhat difficult for us though, as it would be refunded through something called, "Nat West pay it".  This means that within five working days, we would receive an email with a link which we would need to click and then submit our bank details, but that link only remains live for 30 days.  As we are going away for a long time next week, the email may not come in time for us complete the bank details and DH had no intention of logging into his banking details from anything other than our home computer.  As an alternative she offered to add OBC to our next cruise, which was declined as we will have about £1,200 OBC already for that cruise.  A third option is that they would take the value of the refund off the balance to be paid for that cruise, which we have accepted, since it seems it would remain "live" for two years and could be used against a different cruise if for some reason we needed to cancel that next one.  I think that is probably a future cruise credit, though that is not the exact words used to DH - she said she could add a credit to our balance due.

Hence all sorted now and we are quite happy.  A word of warning to anyone else who has luggage damaged though is that, although they will have reported the damage to the port agent on disembarkation, (which I assume is essential), they then need to email P&O to ask for it to be dealt with, attaching a copy of the report made at the port.

I'm glad you have it sorted. Compared with the saga of the lost QM2 luggage that ended up in the Hudson this sounds like a breeze!

Thank you for the tips if ever we are unfortunate.

1 minute ago, Megabear2 said:

I'm glad you have it sorted. Compared with the saga of the lost QM2 luggage that ended up in the Hudson this sounds like a breeze!

Thank you for the tips if ever we are unfortunate.

I had not heard about the QM2 and luggage in the Hudson, was that recently and how much luggage?  I remember seeing photos of cases floating in the dock at Southampton, when it had fallen off the luggage belt and reports that other cases had sunk. 

Loosing all your luggage like that would indeed be a nightmare and how could you possibly value the losses if you never get the case back?  I bet you would get nothing like the replacement value either.  Certainly a minor problem for us, but very frustrating when we tried to get n touch with P&O.  We were very appreciative of comments here, so felt I should give a complete feedback once sorted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tring said:

refunded through something called, "Nat West pay it"

1 hour ago, tring said:

DH had no intention of logging into his banking details from anything other than our home computer

Using this system you do not need to log in to your bank details - just enter your account details on a secure form. The whole process takes less than five minutes.

This is a system that Carnival use for refunds - I used it earlier in the year with Princess - the email with the link arrived within the hour and once completed the money was in my bank account within minutes.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, tring said:

I had not heard about the QM2 and luggage in the Hudson, was that recently and how much luggage?  I remember seeing photos of cases floating in the dock at Southampton, when it had fallen off the luggage belt and reports that other cases had sunk. 

Loosing all your luggage like that would indeed be a nightmare and how could you possibly value the losses if you never get the case back?  I bet you would get nothing like the replacement value either.  Certainly a minor problem for us, but very frustrating when we tried to get n touch with P&O.  We were very appreciative of comments here, so felt I should give a complete feedback once sorted.

Yes in September.  I believe it was while you were on Aurora.  A very big storm hit and two ful cages of luggage went off the quay.  It was the day NYC flooded and some did indeed end up floating up the Hudson.  In an effort to recover the luggage divers were sent down to try to find it, with very limited success.  

There has been a great deal of angst for the people who lost their luggage, being Cunard some of the cases contained high end clothing and in some cases even jewellery.  One very pro active lady has pursued them constantly and has succeeded in finally getting a resolution. Other unfortunates still have no news.  Cunard state they are liable for only $500 compensation which has caused huge debate about how to sue the dockworkers, port and just about anyone else.

This is the thread from the Cunard boards, it's very long, some irrelevance but a real eye opener on making sure your luggage has full cover!  

I recall the P&O incident but am not aware of the outcome. Hopefully handled better than this has been!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, david63 said:

Using this system you do not need to log in to your bank details - just enter your account details on a secure form. The whole process takes less than five minutes.

This is a system that Carnival use for refunds - I used it earlier in the year with Princess - the email with the link arrived within the hour and once completed the money was in my bank account within minutes.

I am always a little confused by scam programmes and anti scam info, which seems to advise that we should never disclose our bank details; and yet we have to provide sort code, account number and account name to enable someone to pay us money by a bank transfer.

Clearly its the on line login details of our bank account that we need to protect, because without these no one should be able to withdraw money from our account, even if they know the account number.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

I am always a little confused by scam programmes and anti scam info, which seems to advise that we should never disclose our bank details; and yet we have to provide sort code, account number and account name to enable someone to pay us money by a bank transfer.

Clearly its the on line login details of our bank account that we need to protect, because without these no one should be able to withdraw money from our account, even if they know the account number.

From memory with this system there are some security checks before you send the details from separate pages and is secure. The point is that you know you are getting the email - it is not just some random email from somebody that you have never heard of.

In fact it feels more secure than paying for something online or setting up a direct debit online.

6 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Yes in September.  I believe it was while you were on Aurora.  A very big storm hit and two ful cages of luggage went off the quay.  It was the day NYC flooded and some did indeed end up floating up the Hudson.  In an effort to recover the luggage divers were sent down to try to find it, with very limited success.  

There has been a great deal of angst for the people who lost their luggage, being Cunard some of the cases contained high end clothing and in some cases even jewellery.  One very pro active lady has pursued them constantly and has succeeded in finally getting a resolution. Other unfortunates still have no news.  Cunard state they are liable for only $500 compensation which has caused huge debate about how to sue the dockworkers, port and just about anyone else.

This is the thread from the Cunard boards, it's very long, some irrelevance but a real eye opener on making sure your luggage has full cover!  

I recall the P&O incident but am not aware of the outcome. Hopefully handled better than this has been!

As the OP of that thread, I can tell you that I lost one suitcase and one was submerged and damaged.  I presented a detailed list of what I lost and the values and I was not asked for proof or receipts for any item.  While Cunard only offered a pittance (250 per bag), the Port stepped up and paid me almost full value of my claim - in the high 4 figures.  The balance I expect to get from my Chase Sapphire Reserve card -- a little over $600

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, bitob said:

Thank you for the information.  I'm delighted you managed to get it sorted.  It seems the others who were affected have a little hope.  Certainly as a UK resident it's made me think as most UK insurance policies are very low value for luggage with very few offering upgrades. Naively I'd always believed if my luggage encountered a disaster the cruise line would be my main point of contact. Clearly not.

41 minutes ago, david63 said:

Interesting it can work so quickly, so Carnival seem to have got that right.

In fact if we could have been sure it would be dealt with within the five working days, we would have been OK, but did not want to risk a delay, even if one day.  DH just did not want to put bank details into anything on a public WiFi system.  Doing that at home is fine.  He would have wanted to log into his bank to check the money had arrived, so not a good idea to us, though admittedly better than giving employees of a company our details direct.  

Anyway alternative is fine.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you for the information.  I'm delighted you managed to get it sorted.  It seems the others who were affected have a little hope.  Certainly as a UK resident it's made me think as most UK insurance policies are very low value for luggage with very few offering upgrades. Naively I'd always believed if my luggage encountered a disaster the cruise line would be my main point of contact. Clearly not.

Your contract with the cruise limits liability. Your homeowner’s policy can help but only if it’s a covered peril. Theft eg. Bags going in the water is not. The chase sapphire reserve card gives us 6000 coverage plus many other great benefits 

lucky for us the port took responsibility