Israel traveling

Back to school

7 minutes ago, Mitten5 said:

We get ZERO back from them!! They wouldn’t even let us transfer monies to another cruise, which would have been $4000 more. We did not have there insurance we had a different  insurance that didn’t cover for declared war! This would have been our 3rd cruise THIS YEAR with Viking.  We were trying to catch up on our travel because of 2 years no Covid travel.

2 minutes ago, edward77 said:

asked for refound 2 weeks ago, cancelled today. If they sail there will not be many on the ship

There are other great cruise companies out there. Viking has tried to create brand loyalty but consumers have a lot of choice. You can only base your decisions on how you were treated.

2 minutes ago, millybess said:

If they refunded everyone who perceived x, y & z about their upcoming cruise, they wouldn't be in business.  

For example, we are going on an Amazon cruise.  The Amazon is experiencing a major drought right now that might well have an effect on our cruise.  If we had known that would happen, we probably wouldn't have booked it.  Do we expect a refund if they can't get to the Amazon -- NO!  Do we expect them to cancel the Amazon cruise if they can't get to the Amazon -- NO!  Re-read the Terms & Conditions .

In our case, we're happy to embark and see what alternate plans they have made for us, if that is necessary.  All of this is just part of the experience of travelling, and your perception of the "danger" or of not being able to knock an item off your "bucket list", is very different from someone else's.  So you are calling for them to cancel a cruise that others want to take.  

I fully understand terms and conditions. If an Amazon cruise can not get you to the amazon then I think 99% of people would expect a refund. I just think that Viking is showing poor judgement goint to Cyprus for 2 days, Lots left in the bucket list and certainly will not be with Viking.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, edward77 said:

You can only base your decisions on how you were treated.

Very true!  

4 minutes ago, edward77 said:

I fully understand terms and conditions. If an Amazon cruise can not get you to the amazon then I think 99% of people would expect a refund. I just think that Viking is showing poor judgement goint to Cyprus for 2 days, Lots left in the bucket list and certainly will not be with Viking.

I respect your position, but I disagree that 99% of people would expect a refund.  If I were on your cruise, I would still want to take it and I would be very disappointed if it was cancelled.  (Having lived in the region during the tumultuous 70's/80's, the chances of something happening to you are minuscule IMO.)

Anyway, best wishes for finding something else and I totally understand the disappointment.  Hopefully, you will be able to get to the region some time in the future.  

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, millybess said:

Very true!  

I respect your position, but I disagree that 99% of people would expect a refund.  If I were on your cruise, I would still want to take it and I would be very disappointed if it was cancelled.  (Having lived in the region during the tumultuous 70's/80's, the chances of something happening to you are minuscule IMO.)

Anyway, best wishes for finding something else and I totally understand the disappointment.  Hopefully, you will be able to get to the region some time in the future.  

Thank you, I think we are happy to be at home just now. We would like to travel when we do not have to look for the latest updates every minute and when things are calmer. Meanwhile, home looks pretty good.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, edward77 said:

Thank you, I think we are happy to be at home just now. We would like to travel when we do not have to look for the latest updates every minute and when things are calmer. Meanwhile, home looks pretty good.

I'm at home right now and I'm still looking for the latest updates every minute. 🥲  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, millybess said:

the chances of something happening to you are minuscule IMO.)

As long as the Dawn goes - we will be on it.  We've always understood the pitfalls of traveling abroad and while this time the danger is ramped up a bit, we're excited and we are going!  If we make it home, just think of the stories to tell and if we don't, just think of the stories our children will have to tell!

I bought an international health insurance policy when we booked this trip with a healthy sum to repatriate our bodies should the need arise.  My son, emailed me and thanked me for thinking ahead!  🤔🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, kismetique said:

We've always understood the pitfalls of traveling abroad and while this time the danger is ramped up a bit, we're excited and we are going!  If we make it home, just think of the stories to tell and if we don't, just think of the stories our children will have to tell!

👍  I like your personal observations with regard to risk while travelling.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mitten5 said:

We get ZERO back from them!! They wouldn’t even let us transfer monies to another cruise, which would have been $4000 more. We did not have there insurance we had a different  insurance that didn’t cover for declared war! This would have been our 3rd cruise THIS YEAR with Viking.  We were trying to catch up on our travel because of 2 years no Covid travel.

What foolish business practice by not letting you transfer monies whereby they would  be getting $4000 more! Totally inflexible.  Viking policies allow for terrorism, not war!  Is that way with Berkshire Hathaway.  I am hoping they take Cyprus off the table and find someplace else farther away out of that region altogether.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Alison48 said:

What foolish business practice by not letting you transfer monies whereby they would  be getting $4000 more! Totally inflexible.  Viking policies allow for terrorism, not war!  Is that way with Berkshire Hathaway.  I am hoping they take Cyprus off the table and find someplace else farther away out of that region altogether.

Like that they added Malta. I think Sicily would have been great and 1 more day in Naples would have been better as well. Hopefully they will Cxl Cyprus

• Like 2

We are on the December 6 cruise.  I agree about Sicily and I like Malta.  I am concerned about Cyprus.  There aren’t that many cruise ships sailing in the Mediterranean in December so I would think that Viking has quite a few options for changing ports.

I hope they nix Cyprus also.  US embassy singled Cyprus out about a security alert for Americans.  I wish I knew how to put it on this site for all to read.  Viking is throwing us a bone $500 ship board credit I told them to keep it I didn’t want it just keep me out of the Eastern Mediterranean.😡

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mitten5 said:

I hope they nix Cyprus also.  US embassy singled Cyprus out about a security alert for Americans.  I wish I knew how to put it on this site for all to read.  Viking is throwing us a bone $500 ship board credit I told them to keep it I didn’t want it just keep me out of the Eastern Mediterranean.😡

Not sure it will work but here is a link to the site to which you are referring:

https://cy.usembassy.gov/security-alert-u-s-embassy-nicosia-cyprus-october-19-2023/

Note that is the U.S. Embassy in Cyprus issuing the alert so I'm not sure "singled out" applies, but all they are warning about is potential protests and asking that US citizens be aware and avoid large crowds.  This is far from the "the sky is falling" scenario that you are painting with your post.  There have been large protests in cities all over the world (there was a massive one in Chicago the other day) and to date, they have been relatively peaceful; causing few problems other than obstructing traffic.  Protests, and other similar gatherings are common and generally confined to one place and it would be easy to avoid the area which I am sure Viking and tour operators would do.  Last Spring there were widespread protests all over France and there was little talk of people cancelling trips there!  There were pictures posted on social media sites of tourists sitting in an outdoor cafe while fires burned around them during protests in Bordeaux.  Take a breath and decide whether or not you wish to continue on this trip ... expecting Viking to act in accordance with your level of "risk tolerance" and on your timeline is really a bit unreasonable.  You can always choose to stay onboard in Cyprus.  

• Like 7

We are VERY frustrated with Viking. It took them 12 days to give any response as to what "options" would be available for the Nov 22, 2023 Saturn sailing. We had hoped we'd have options, but they seem to think Malta is sufficient in place of the Holy Land. Certainly understand things are fluid in the region. We have no problem for a cancellation due to the situation. However we would have preferred options, i.e., refund, voucher etc. I get this is a business, but.....lack of communication from Viking has been disappointing. Early on had they sent out a "hold tight we are working this" would have even been ok. But....NOTHING for 12 days! And then offering Malta! NOT ok! 

40 minutes ago, PNW2 said:

We are VERY frustrated with Viking. It took them 12 days to give any response as to what "options" would be available for the Nov 22, 2023 Saturn sailing. We had hoped we'd have options, but they seem to think Malta is sufficient in place of the Holy Land. Certainly understand things are fluid in the region. We have no problem for a cancellation due to the situation. However we would have preferred options, i.e., refund, voucher etc. I get this is a business, but.....lack of communication from Viking has been disappointing. Early on had they sent out a "hold tight we are working this" would have even been ok. But....NOTHING for 12 days! And then offering Malta! NOT ok! 

2 days in Cyprus and 2 days in Malta NOT OK. Should have cxl'd Cyprus, added Sicily and Malta and a 2nd day in Naples would have been satisfactory for us. As you say, lack of Options is frustrating when the headline billing of the cruise has been cancelled. We have loved Viking but we are done  with them as there are other options out there. As much as we have enjoyed cruising with them , We think they really dropped the ball on this one and the $250 per person is an insult.

100%agree. This was our first Viking experience. Previous good experiences with Oceania and other cruise lines. We went with them on others recommendations. Perhaps they will still adjust the itinerary? We are hopeful, since as of today we are 100% penalized. 

29 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

I’ve been to Israel and the West Bank on a DIY trip. I would happily visit Malta and Cypus rather than travel to Israel again.

I wouldn't go out of my way to spend more time in Israel and all of the regions contained within, except to visit friends, but for a first-timer, I'm sure it's disappointing. 

1 hour ago, edward77 said:

....the headline billing of the cruise has been cancelled. We have loved Viking but we are done  with them as there are other options out there. As much as we have enjoyed cruising with them , We think they really dropped the ball on this one and the $250 per person is an insult.

You are right about that, especially because it was the headline billing. And I agree that $250 pp is not enough.  We received similar for our TA missing Madeira and we expected nothing!  That being said, we would still be on this cruise and would look forward to the adventure.  

2 hours ago, PNW2 said:

We are VERY frustrated with Viking. 

Agreed!  Communication with the customer is not Viking's strong point.  No excuses, but they, and other lines, are scrambling and it's doubtful you would have had a quicker response from any other line.  JMO.  

• Like 1

Could not agree with you more. We are on the same cruise, and have been posting on the Saturn Roll Call for that cruise. They can sail wherever they want, as long as they give a full refund to anyone who signed up specifically for the Israel portion of the cruise. Without Israel, it’s just a handful of stops without the payoff, for us and many other passengers on this route I would dare to speculate.

On 10/20/2023 at 6:12 AM, edward77 said:

We are scheduled for the Nov 22 cities of antiquities and the Holy Land. Just heard from Viking with the revised itinerary. First of all, with the Headliner port of call in the holy land officially gone it is no longer a bucket list cruise. But more importantly, Cyprys for 2 days should be a deal breaker. Why would any company want to sail into Cyprys, about 150 miles from Beirut and Haifa with 2 of the worlds largest aircraft carriers there on high alert. Also soldiers from Germany and Netherlands have been deployed to Cyprys  to be on standby, with likely other countries to follow using Cyprys as a launch point  if necessary.

This is about our safety and Viking is seriously putting their reputation in Jeopardy with this itinerary. I wrote to them this morning asking for a full refund as I am sure that sailing through a war zone will neither be safe and definitely not rleaxing and enjoyable as acruise should be. This cruise should definitely be cancelled.

Could not agree with you more. We are on the same cruise, and have been posting on the Saturn Roll Call for that cruise. They can sail wherever they want, as long as they give a full refund to anyone who signed up specifically for the Israel portion of the cruise. Without Israel, it’s just a handful of stops without the payoff, for us and many other passengers on this route I would dare to speculate.

5 minutes ago, VivaBarcelona said:

Could not agree with you more. We are on the same cruise, and have been posting on the Saturn Roll Call for that cruise. They can sail wherever they want, as long as they give a full refund to anyone who signed up specifically for the Israel portion of the cruise. Without Israel, it’s just a handful of stops without the payoff, for us and many other passengers on this route I would dare to speculate.

2 days in Cyprus and 2 days in Malta with 3 days at sea is NOT a cruise anyone would choose. ( 7 out of 15 days) They could have added Santorini, Sicily Malta, an extra day in Naples and dumped Cyprus. It is now Journey to a Few Cities Of Antiquity. ( WITHOUT ISRAEL). They could not have sold this cruise for 50% of what they charged. They should have offered options for refunds if they could not do better on the Ports.

• Like 3

On 10/20/2023 at 12:36 PM, millybess said:

If they refunded everyone who perceived x, y & z about their upcoming cruise, they wouldn't be in business.  

For example, we are going on an Amazon cruise.  The Amazon is experiencing a major drought right now that might well have an effect on our cruise.  If we had known that would happen, we probably wouldn't have booked it.  Do we expect a refund if they can't get to the Amazon -- NO!  Do we expect them to cancel the Amazon cruise if they can't get to the Amazon -- NO!  Re-read the Terms & Conditions .

In our case, we're happy to embark and see what alternate plans they have made for us, if that is necessary.  All of this is just part of the experience of travelling, and your perception of the "danger" or of not being able to knock an item off your "bucket list", is very different from someone else's.  So you are calling for them to cancel a cruise that others want to take.  

No, that’s not what we want. Let those who don’t care if they are getting an inferior product accept the downgraded package and sail off into the sunset or sunrise, but give the money back to those who know a rotten deal when they see one. Cash refund, not some wish washy promise of some future cruise, or a partial payment if there prices go up. Return our substantial investments now, and we will invest it in Viking when next we sail again, but at our time and where we want. Maybe even to Israel when next it is safe to sail there again.