Israel traveling

Back to school

Initial thoughts and reactions: (1) There might be (2) days of excursions in Cyprus and on Malta; (2) We visit Heraklion, Crete on a different day than was originally scheduled.  Question: On original itinerary, we only had (6) hours in port in Heraklion which REALLY restricted what you could do (no way previously to visit both Knossos & The Heraklion Archaeological Museum for example).  Might we have more time in port with this rescheduling?; (3) Malta’s a decent substitute; (4) The fact that they are avoiding Turkey probably means Viking intends to avoid all Muslim countries.  That said, was slightly surprised that they didn’t nix Cyprus, but actually added another day there despite its proximity to the conflict.  They nixed the sea day between Rhodes and Cyprus which sarcastically, but perhaps in reality, is Viking trying to make that sea crossing under cover of darkness 😀

• Like 1

We are on the December 6 cruise.  Malta is an interesting port.  Not sure how I feel about Cyprus because it is close to Israel and Lebanon.  Also, is there much to see for 2 days in Cyprus.  I would appreciate comments and/or recommendations re: Cyprus.

1 hour ago, hurwitz5 said:

We are on the December 6 cruise.  Malta is an interesting port.  Not sure how I feel about Cyprus because it is close to Israel and Lebanon.  Also, is there much to see for 2 days in Cyprus.  I would appreciate comments and/or recommendations re: Cyprus.

I initiated an online chat w/ Viking inquiring about “new” port times which they proceeded to email me.  Looks like we arrive Cyprus at noon on one day, then have the whole next day.  My guess is the shore excursion you already booked before the itinerary change will still occur that second full day.  The question is whether or not additional shore excursions will be offered for that first half-day.  If so, any excursion would have to be limited to a 4-hr excursion so my guess is it would be something in and around Limassol, probably something like The Crusader Kolossi Castle built by The Order of St. John.  If you hadn’t already booked an all-day excursion, while tastes vary, I was choosing between their Paphos excursion or Nicosia and chose Paphos, a town who’s history extends back into The Bronze Age, through the Greeks and Romans, while also featuring in Biblical history (see Paul).  If I hadn’t done that, I would’ve done Nicosia strictly for the national museum.  image.thumb.png.6a1a55072bea195e4d05e67fa2dd9c9c.png

We also are very disappointed in the response from Viking.  Today the  state department issued  an advisory against traveling overseas for all Americans.  You can google protests in Athens, Cyprus,Greece & Rome along with a planned pro-Palestinian rally for Naples,Italy Oct 13th.  As I figure it that is 9 days out of 14 were there is protests right now involving thousands of people. I can’t believe they have left us with zero information.  Especially now that so many of our ports are also protesting. I think anyone on that cruise should call everyday.  1877-668-4546  At least let us use the money paid for another cruise.  This would have been our 4th cruise with Viking.  Terrible customer service!!!😡

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Urasleep said:

We have booked and paid for an ocean cruise traveling to Israel in November 2023 (CITIES OF ANTIQUITY & THE HOLY LAND). We have sent multiple emails and made calls to Viking inquiring if it will be cancelled or changed. We have NOT received any messages from Viking, email nor phone call. The only Viking answer we get is that "we are monitoring the situation." We are positive that we are not the only travelers concerned about this horrible situation. We feel that this is extremely poor customer service. Viking needs to understand the frustration and anxiety their clientele is feeling about the uncertainty of sailing into an active war zone. Viking needs to do the right thing and contact us now. We have had two previous trips, a river and an ocean cruise with Viking. We really enjoyed both of our cruises in the past. That's why we were return customers. We are rethinking our choice now.

Hello @Urasleep and welcome to the Cruise Critic message board!

To help you out, your new topic/thread posted on an incorrect forum has been merged into an existing thread on the correct forum that pertains to your topic. 

And yes, you are not the only travelers concerned about this horrible situation. You need to locate and post on the specific Roll Call thread for your line, ship and sail date. You did not mention your November sail date so I cannot direct you to the specific Roll Call thread for your cruise. The Roll Call thread will be posts from your fellow Cruise Critic members sailing with you.

For information about our Roll Calls, please read What is a Roll Call? Everything you Need to Know and How To: Create A New Roll Call. For more information about our famous Roll Calls, please read the Roll Calls and Our Policy Regarding Facebook and Roll Calls sections in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free Cruise Critic memberships. We also have the following Cruise Critic article from last year you might enjoy8 Reasons to Join a Cruise Critic Roll Call

Once you locate the specific Roll Call thread for your cruise, read through the whole thread to get to know the other Cruise Critic members sailing with you. Then use the blue Reply to this topic button to post an introductory post about yourself on the Roll Call. If you want to address a particular post already in the thread, be sure to use the Quote feature on that post as I did yours. That way all will be aware of what your post concerns. You then type your reply UNDER the light blue quote box. When you are done with your post, click the blue Submit Reply button.

The specific Roll Call thread for your cruise line, ship and sail date is the ONLY place on the Cruise Critic message boards where you and your fellow Roll Call thread members are allowed to post personal ads about sharing private tours, excursions or transportation with each other. There is a "captive audience" there since you are all sailing together! Your fellow Roll Call thread members may have important information posted in your Roll Call thread. Especially those that have sailed your line, ship or itinerary before. Also, they may have already posted private share requests that may interest you.

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to submit your review for publication by the Cruise Critic website. Many cruisers will benefit from your experience! Make YOUR voice heard. Your honest cruise review will influence next year's Cruisers' Choice award winners and help others choose the right sailing. See How To: Submit a Member Review.

The Cruise Critic website and message boards are great resources for new and experienced cruisers, and we are so glad you found us! Please feel free to browse the Cruise Critic Community categories list for the various forums. Please read a few threads in the different forums to get a feel for what each forum is about. Make sure you read any pinned threads (aka Stickies) on the top of the first page of threads in most forums. You will find very important instructions or information there.

Please remember the following portion from the Guidelines:

Browse Before You Post
Browse a topic first to see if your question has already been asked or answered by someone else. Also, many of the major cruise lines forums have a FAQ (Frequently Asked Question) topic that has been created by our members. Give that a try first. Browsing is your #1 best resource! Please post your messages in an appropriate topic so that you'll receive the best possible response. It is very time consuming to move misplaced messages that are in the wrong topics.

Anytime you need to start a new thread/topic on a forum, first make sure you are in the correct forum for your topic. Word your new thread title in a way to help the members know exactly the information you seek. This greatly helps the members browsing through the thread titles and if they know the information, they will reply to you.

Also, it is best to limit your inquiry to only one topic such as one cruise line, one ship, one port of call, etc. and of course, on the correct forum. You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention your cruise line, ship, port or sail date in your inquiry if that sort of information will help your fellow Cruise Critic members help you with their answers.

Whenever you need technical help in regard to using the Cruise Critic message board software, go to the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum. You will see a large amount of "How to..." pinned threads toward the top of the forum's first page. Also, browse through the threads in the forum looking for threads of interest. Again, you will probably find your fellow Cruise Critic members have already posted questions and received answers that may be of interest to you.

So sorry this is so long, but I sincerely hope this will be helpful to someone new to posting on our message boards. We are glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! 

Happy sails,

Host Kat

• Host Kat changed the title to Israel traveling

We are scheduled for the Nov 22 cities of antiquities and the Holy Land. Just heard from Viking with the revised itinerary. First of all, with the Headliner port of call in the holy land officially gone it is no longer a bucket list cruise. But more importantly, Cyprys for 2 days should be a deal breaker. Why would any company want to sail into Cyprys, about 150 miles from Beirut and Haifa with 2 of the worlds largest aircraft carriers there on high alert. Also soldiers from Germany and Netherlands have been deployed to Cyprys  to be on standby, with likely other countries to follow using Cyprys as a launch point  if necessary.

This is about our safety and Viking is seriously putting their reputation in Jeopardy with this itinerary. I wrote to them this morning asking for a full refund as I am sure that sailing through a war zone will neither be safe and definitely not rleaxing and enjoyable as acruise should be. This cruise should definitely be cancelled.

I am in the UK, I would have no issue with Cyprus at the moment, it’s well enough away from Israel and Gaza.  Personally I wouldn’t have been going to Israel for years now. Obviously it’s escalated on a massive scale, but honestly Cyprus is nothing to be concerned about. It's not yet WW3….  If anything changes, Viking will be the first to put your safety as priority.  

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Goosebear Mum said:

I am in the UK, I would have no issue with Cyprus at the moment, it’s well enough away from Israel and Gaza.  Personally I wouldn’t have been going to Israel for years now. Obviously it’s escalated on a massive scale, but honestly Cyprus is nothing to be concerned about. It's not yet WW3….  If anything changes, Viking will be the first to put your safety as priority.  

150 miles with troops on the ground is not safe for anyone. Far too close to a pending war with Iran. Cyptys will be used as a staging area. Not my idea ofa safe place but maybe safer than the UK right now

1 hour ago, edward77 said:

We are scheduled for the Nov 22 cities of antiquities and the Holy Land. Just heard from Viking with the revised itinerary. First of all, with the Headliner port of call in the holy land officially gone it is no longer a bucket list cruise. But more importantly, Cyprys for 2 days should be a deal breaker. Why would any company want to sail into Cyprys, about 150 miles from Beirut and Haifa with 2 of the worlds largest aircraft carriers there on high alert. Also soldiers from Germany and Netherlands have been deployed to Cyprys  to be on standby, with likely other countries to follow using Cyprys as a launch point  if necessary.

This is about our safety and Viking is seriously putting their reputation in Jeopardy with this itinerary. I wrote to them this morning asking for a full refund as I am sure that sailing through a war zone will neither be safe and definitely not rleaxing and enjoyable as acruise should be. This cruise should definitely be cancelled.

I agree with you. At least offer an FCC if they do sail. Going to Cypress makes nonsense. Their reputation for excellent customer service will be tarnished forever if Viking gets sucked into something that they could have been avoided.

2 hours ago, edward77 said:

150 miles with troops on the ground is not safe for anyone. Far too close to a pending war with Iran. Cyptys will be used as a staging area. Not my idea ofa safe place but maybe safer than the UK right now

As a UK resident please explain why Cyprus (note spelling) is safer than where I am.

• Like 1

Honestly calm down everyone. This is currently Israel and Gaza, just as elsewhere there is Yemen, Russia, Ukraine, etc.  Israel and Gaza have had frequent bombings, this time it’s far far worse, but so far there is no sign of it about escalate outside of those countries. The UK (honestly, some people listen to wind up media too much) and Cyprus are currently safe.  Viking will not send you somewhere unsafe, if anything changes so will the cruise. If Cyprus is ever unsafe, the whole Mediterranean and cruising will be unsafe as NATO will then be involved. . 

Edited by Goosebear Mum
  • Like 5

The US embassy in Cyprus just issued a warning to Americans there and ask that they enroll in the STEP program and stay away from all crowds.  Doesn’t sound to relaxing especially with two aircraft carriers floating around in the Eastern Mediterranean. We are canceling!!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mitten5 said:

The US embassy in Cyprus just issued a warning to Americans there and ask that they enroll in the STEP program and stay away from all crowds.  Doesn’t sound to relaxing especially with two aircraft carriers floating around in the Eastern Mediterranean. We are canceling!!!

Not surprised. I think a lot of the others thinking that everything is safe are delusional. Viking should do the right thing and cancel for the sake of safety and their reputation

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, edward77 said:

Not surprised. I think a lot of the others thinking that everything is safe are delusional. Viking should do the right thing and cancel for the sake of safety and their reputation

If you truly believe that the revised cruise itinerary is unsafe, and that people arguing otherwise are “delusional,” then you might consider taking the initiative and canceling your own booking rather than waiting for Viking to cancel the entire cruise. Presumably you have insurance to cover any cancelation cost. And even if you have to absorb a financial hit, isn’t that a small price to pay in return for peace of mind?

• Like 3

It’s worth the $18,000 hit.  We have travel insurance up to $20,000 and it covers for terrorist attack but not declared War. Go figure any insurance person out there think we can fight this?  We always just thought we would need to cancel in case of sickness and we would be covered.  Any thoughts? We have been paying $550 a year for this at least 12 years for this coverage.  

13 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

If you truly believe that the revised cruise itinerary is unsafe, and that people arguing otherwise are “delusional,” then you might consider taking the initiative and canceling your own booking rather than waiting for Viking to cancel the entire cruise. Presumably you have insurance to cover any cancelation cost. And even if you have to absorb a financial hit, isn’t that a small price to pay in return for peace of mind?

Long done. Just voicing concerns as Viking has had their share of serious mishaps. You can not expect others to look out for you, you are in charge of that.

On 10/18/2023 at 3:52 PM, Thankfully1 said:

When you canceled did you say why?

Israel is the only reason I am on the cruise, set to said 11/28. I want to cancel. I have Vikings “cancel for any reason” travel policy. Did you get a credit when you cancelled ? I am thinking unless I am sick or injured it will be a credit to be used within a year. 

I don’t think we had to give a reason back then. Viking was still operating under pandemic rules, which have likely changed. We got vouchers that had to be used within a period of time.

2 minutes ago, Twitchly said:

I don’t think we had to give a reason back then. Viking was still operating under pandemic rules, which have likely changed. We got vouchers that had to be used within a period of time.

They should take charge and refund fully, no vouchers. We will see how Viking handles this. If they understand the lifetime value of a customer, they will refund!

4 minutes ago, edward77 said:

Long done. Just voicing concerns as Viking has had their share of serious mishaps. You can not expect others to look out for you, you are in charge of that.

Your post #107, made a few hours ago, suggested you were still booked on the November 22 cruise rather than “long done.” You wrote that you asked Viking for a full refund, not that you had canceled.

We get ZERO back from them!! They wouldn’t even let us transfer monies to another cruise, which would have been $4000 more. We did not have there insurance we had a different  insurance that didn’t cover for declared war! This would have been our 3rd cruise THIS YEAR with Viking.  We were trying to catch up on our travel because of 2 years no Covid travel.

7 minutes ago, SJD117 said:

Your post #107, made a few hours ago, suggested you were still booked on the November 22 cruise rather than “long done.” You wrote that you asked Viking for a full refund, not that you had canceled.

asked for refound 2 weeks ago, cancelled today. If they sail there will not be many on the ship

17 minutes ago, Mitten5 said:

It’s worth the $18,000 hit.  We have travel insurance up to $20,000 and it covers for terrorist attack but not declared War. Go figure any insurance person out there think we can fight this?  We always just thought we would need to cancel in case of sickness and we would be covered.  Any thoughts? We have been paying $550 a year for this at least 12 years for this coverag e.

Yes, we would lose our money, too.  Terrorism covered, but not WAR??? Obviously, a policy designed by a man, ROFLOL. 

10 minutes ago, edward77 said:

They should take charge and refund fully, no vouchers. We will see how Viking handles this. If they understand the lifetime value of a customer, they will refund!

If they refunded everyone who perceived x, y & z about their upcoming cruise, they wouldn't be in business.  

For example, we are going on an Amazon cruise.  The Amazon is experiencing a major drought right now that might well have an effect on our cruise.  If we had known that would happen, we probably wouldn't have booked it.  Do we expect a refund if they can't get to the Amazon -- NO!  Do we expect them to cancel the Amazon cruise if they can't get to the Amazon -- NO!  Re-read the Terms & Conditions .

In our case, we're happy to embark and see what alternate plans they have made for us, if that is necessary.  All of this is just part of the experience of travelling, and your perception of the "danger" or of not being able to knock an item off your "bucket list", is very different from someone else's.  So you are calling for them to cancel a cruise that others want to take.  

• Like 5