Israel traveling

Back to school

2 hours ago, leishirsute said:

@PhilRSchultz I already sent in my vote to Viking for Sicily if Jerusalem doesn't happen. Of course, they have so much quick logistics changes to manage and maybe by remote chance that area will settle down by 11/14m, though doubt it.

My money would be on some combination of Santorini, Ephesus (Bodrum), with some harder to determine destination (Troy?  2nd port in Crete?).  This is because of the geography of our itinerary which was scheduled for (3) nights in Israel sandwiched between Cyprus and Heraklion, Crete.  All of this assumes Viking will not be changing any non-Israel port dates which of course would give them more flexibility to add a Sicily or a Malta

On 10/8/2023 at 2:29 PM, richmke said:

When Russia invaded Ukraine, any cruise with a stop in St Petersburg could be canceled with a full refund. In general, if they change the itinerary, you can cancel with a full refund.

Not anymore, it's incorporated into the terms and conditions for recent bookings now

20 hours ago, RD64 said:

Nobody will be docking at Haifa in the forseeable future! For those of you wearing rose coloured glasses - you can quote me on this. Haifa will more than likely not be a port until 2025 - it boggles my mind that so many on here have no idea about current events, and do not even bother to turn on a news channel.

Cruises/tourist trade has stopped, according to several newspapers freight and some ferries are still operating

If I'd booked Israel - Egypt I'd be annoyed to be stuck with the Greek Islands instead, nothing against them, but not what was booked. A substitute port in the same country is OK, but not a substitute country without the option to cancel and get a refund. 

If wanting to go to Greece, Greece would have been booked

Edited by KBs mum
  • Like 4

I totally agree.  I understand that the cruise companies need to keep buoyant ( pardon the pun!) but substitute countries are not acceptable to everyone.  I am booked for two stops in Israel towards the end of November and that is the main reason for booking that cruise. 
we had a situation with Cunard and St Petersburg. They insisted it wasn’t a major change to miss the overnight there - so no chance for a refund. Trading standards were very clear that they were legally incorrect but I suppose which country the ship is registered to determines which laws apply.  
I think our contract is with Iglu so then U.K. law should apply.  

• Like 1

On my Vacation Summary for the Epic on Nov 8, the return flight has a blank origination point. Looks like NCL has cancelled the flight from Tel Aviv. But, they haven't cancelled the shore excursion for Ashod (probably happens automatically when they update the itinerary). Waiting to see if they can substitute a Debarkation port, or cancel the cruise entirely.

38 minutes ago, richmke said:

On my Vacation Summary for the Epic on Nov 8, the return flight has a blank origination point. Looks like NCL has cancelled the flight from Tel Aviv. But, they haven't cancelled the shore excursion for Ashod (probably happens automatically when they update the itinerary). Waiting to see if they can substitute a Debarkation port, or cancel the cruise entirely.

Thanks for letting us know! Checking app now! 

1 hour ago, Mackdogmolly said:

As of right now, all US flights to/from Israel have been canceled- at least for now 

Delta announced all flight to/from Israel are cancelled through October. Expect others to follow suit.

IMO don't expect any for months.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mackdogmolly said:

As of right now, all US flights to/from Israel have been canceled- at least for now 

US carriers like Delta, United and AA are not flying. But you can still take El Al from LAX, JFK, EWR and MIA and maybe others.

It was like $775 for an economy ticket and non stop from JFK last I looked

Ive been following the 2023 roll call for the Egypt trip.  Members are reporting that Viking has cancelled its pre-cruise extension to Jerusalem at least into December, that refunds are being made and that flights are being rescheduled.    

17 hours ago, Mackdogmolly said:

We flew into Boston last night from Seattle. The crew asked passengers to stay on the plane so two people in the back could get off first and make a tight connection to Tel Aviv. No airline specified, but apparently flight service still exists into Israel (from Boston at least).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SJD117 said:

We flew into Boston last night from Seattle. The crew asked passengers to stay on the plane so two people in the back could get off first and make a tight connection to Tel Aviv. No airline specified, but apparently flight service still exists into Israel (from Boston at least).

Looks like El Al is running a service every other day from Logan. I haven't seen that plane in the air, but didn't check last night either.

I think El Al has also added a few flights from JFK as reservists are being called up. People are also giving up their seats for the reservists.

Edited by Mike07

On 10/9/2023 at 11:51 AM, KBs mum said:

Cruises/tourist trade has stopped, according to several newspapers freight and some ferries are still operating

I think that's a special UK option because of the rules the country has in place.

We are scheduled on the Cities of Antiquity and the Holy Land cruise on 11/22. It’s a 15 day cruise from Athens to Rome with stops in Israel and Cyprus along with several other places. 

I called Viking and they could give me no information about Viking’s plans for these cruises. We have received zero communication from Viking…not even a “Hey, we’re working on it and we’ll let you know ASAP.” In fact, they are still actively selling excursions in Israel!

i’m not looking for speculation about what Viking might do here. I’m wondering whether any of the earlier cruisers on this same itinerary have heard anything from Viking about their plans for the earlier cruises on 11/14 and 11/16. We have independently booked hotels and air so this is particularly urgent for us.

Thanks in advance.  

13 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

It is really not very clear what you are asking.

I think it's clear enough. Basically can you cancel for a full refund (unlikely, but my speculation), or get a FCC for a trip that includes or majorly includes Israel considering the current state of the country.

really  right now the only people who can answer is Viking.   speculation only fuels rumor.  I am sure Viking has a lot on their plate getting folks in transit safely accommodated and trying to figure out a workable alternative to future trips where many other companies are also scrambling to figure out reworking ports.

I think patience is needed to allow them time to get a policy and plan in place

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Mike07 said:

I think it's clear enough. Basically can you cancel for a full refund (unlikely, but my speculation), or get a FCC for a trip that includes or majorly includes Israel considering the current state of the country.

1. FFCs are a dollar amount based on the actual dollars paid in.  It is not a promise that you will be able to take the same cruise for the same price at a later date (a popular misconception).  If you paid using vouchers you may lose those vouchers unless they were insured.  

2. The only way to get a full refund from Viking is if Viking cancels the cruise. If the passenger cancels the cruise, even if it is 10 minutes before Viking makes its announce, then cancellation penalties are as stated on your Viking Invoice and then you have to put in an insurance claim to attempt to recover the rest.  Read your insurance policy to see if you are covered; acts of war are generally  not covered.

3. Heads up.  When Viking does cancel a cruise, they will send an email to all passengers who have an active booking at the time the announcement is made. Read the whole email carefully.  It may include a voucher and tell you that you have 10 days in which to request a cash refund.  

4. IMO, don't get involved with vouchers regardless of what they offer.  Take cash.  Whatever bonus Viking offers to entice you to let them keep your money is not worth the potential future hassles and pitfalls. If you do take vouchers, make sure that they are covered by the insurance you buy when you use them to book you next cruise.  

• Like 7