Explora Journeys Please Fix Your IT Systems -- this is becoming a joke.

PaulMCO

On 1/2/2024 at 6:08 AM, frankhi said:

The escalation and pull with EJ is just the story your TA relayed to you, right? 

I don’t tend to use TAs for any other segment of travel but for cruising they DO make a huge difference.  It’s not a made up story.

• 4 months later...
On 10/26/2023 at 1:02 PM, artbcpa said:

Sad to hear that the IT problems continue. Explora Journeys was NEVER able to resolve our problem before we boarded. As for those who continue to defend EJ against EVERY negative comment, remember that in today's world they are probably getting paid either through free cruises or directly. I ignore their comments. A true critic reviewer will acknowledge the good and the bad. A good company will pay attention and learn from their customers and make appropriate changes where possible. We will see how EJ responds. 

By the way, I found a great article on ddi.dev about srs requirements, so I think it will be very interesting for people who are involved in technical specialties! I recommend you to check it out and see what else you can find on this great resource! 

You're right that genuine reviews should cover both positives and negatives. It's important for companies like Explora Journeys to listen to customer feedback and make improvements. Ignoring criticisms doesn’t help anyone.

• Like 2

@PaulMCO Hello old friend.  I know you wrote this topic in 2023, yet it seems to be still very relevant.  Many social media contributors want to focus on the systems/products that EJ is using for their website.  I on the other hand, simply don't care what a Luxury Cruise Brand uses as a tool.  I just want that tool to work.  You wrote your topic on October 22, 2023.  I am writing my replay on June 26, 2024.  That amount of time should have straighten out the website issues but it has not. 

This situation kind of reminds me of some of our experiences with the "Old" Crystal Cruises.  All indications are, those that actually cruise EJ, seem to mostly love it.  The same was the situation with Crystal.  However, the touchpoints with the land based staff is less then satisfying. Very similar.

Now what to do as a potentially new guest on a new brand owned by one of the largest vacation cruise companies in the world. Here is what I have done with the intent to help the brand, not hurt the brand.  To outline the issues I am having without threatening them.  Why, we need a really good Luxury Brand that delivers.  

I took about three days and wrote a detailed overview of the issues I am having with two aspects of EJ.  First the frustration on their website; second the frustration on their new summer promotion for guest already booked.  It takes three days because I read, and re-read the text to hopefully refine the communication and fix my god awful spelling/grammar. That letter was sent out via US Mail Certified to 6 executives in EJ/MSC, sent to both EJ/MSC online guest support locations.  I will continue to send this correspondence out every 10 days until someone who can fix the issues can resolve the problems. 

My goal is to help the brand and myself so that these issues become easy to resolve, in a timely manner that exceeds a luxury guest expectations.  Thank you for your original post, it made me feel justified in my frustration and approach to resolve the issues.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 2

Gary – your intentions are good and I'm sure your suggestions are reasonable.  But I suspect that all corporations have a Norman Thomas* file – and once the six execs compare notes (and especially when the second batch of letters arrives) your stuff will be automatically filtered into it, no matter how helpful it could have been.

I know it's frustrating, but it's probably better for your blood pressure to realize that customer feedback has very little impact on large corporations and that the best consumer approach is to take each company as it is and make your choices.

* for those who don't want to 'look it up', Norman Thomas ran for US President on a third-party ticket six times – each time the media and voters paid less attention.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Gary – your intentions are good and I'm sure your suggestions are reasonable.  But I suspect that all corporations have a Norman Thomas* file – and once the six execs compare notes (and especially when the second batch of letters arrives) your stuff will be automatically filtered into it, no matter how helpful it could have been.

I know it's frustrating, but it's probably better for your blood pressure to realize that customer feedback has very little impact on large corporations and that the best consumer approach is to take each company as it is and make your choices.

* for those who don't want to 'look it up', Norman Thomas ran for US President on a third-party ticket six times – each time the media and voters paid less attention.

@Host Jazzbeau Jazz, great to hear from you.  Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.  My approach has provided much fruit in the past, with many other brands.  So when I am working with a new cruise brand, I simply use the same strategy.  Where it is true, I may be put into the Norman Thomas file, love that term, which is always a possibility, usually it only takes two cycles of the letter to gain the needed action or response.  

EJ being a new brand and also associated with a European company may cause a less then acceptable outcome, however worth my effort at least.  I assure you, after my retirement, when I approach things like this, it is strictly for hobby and or sport. My excessive blood pressure meds, keep me safe on that front. The great news is most folks that get on the EJ ships seem to really enjoy the experience.  For me, that is no downside.  

As I have said before, we are lucky to have you here as our voice of reason.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Sthrngary Hi Gary -- just like one of my bulldogs they will eventually prevail.

That is why I have a great TA.  He can contact these VP's and tell them what a bad job that their IT department is doing.  But 1 year later and still the same.

We generally do private tours on a cruise so the lack of tour info is not an issue.  For the restaurant bookings, it easier to call and get these done.  Check in is done via the APP and did work.

By the way we just completed a Crystal cruise.  No issue with the Web pre-cruise booking of a tour and specialties, but lots of IT issues on the ship.  Great cruise never the less..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

@Host Jazzbeau Jazz, great to hear from you.  Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.  My approach has provided much fruit in the past, with many other brands.  So when I am working with a new cruise brand, I simply use the same strategy.  Where it is true, I may be put into the Norman Thomas file, love that term, which is always a possibility, usually it only takes two cycles of the letter to gain the needed action or response.  

EJ being a new brand and also associated with a European company may cause a less then acceptable outcome, however worth my effort at least.  I assure you, after my retirement, when I approach things like this, it is strictly for hobby and or sport. My excessive blood pressure meds, keep me safe on that front. The great news is most folks that get on the EJ ships seem to really enjoy the experience.  For me, that is no downside.  

Just a little request when you send the next round of letters will you add a PS that they need to recognize voyager club points when they Implement their loyalty program and points earned should apply to both brands.you can sign that love,Momma…..lol

• Haha 1

On 6/26/2024 at 11:21 AM, Sthrngary said:

Gary

Excellent 

I have used an online information portal that lists the names phone numbers and emails addresses of many major businesses including AM Ex and Alaska Airlines. I have been able to resolve major issues because I had the right contact info that may not be generally available. I once reached the administrative assistant of a major corporation CEO  whose office was just outside the door of the CEO. My problem was resolved in a matter of hours.

BTW

Does one have to wait until after payment to reserve excursions? Dining reservations are available  60 out? I think

Thanks for your  posts

It would have been fun to have been on same ship in January

All my best

45 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

Does one have to wait until after payment to reserve excursions? Dining reservations are available  60 out? I think

@Waltershipman I really don't know on this.  I am sure someone will respond.  I rarely use the cruise lines excursions any more. 

46 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

It would have been fun to have been on same ship in January

Yes, that would have been fun.  The issue was my older sisters schedule.  Another time.

• Like 1

It’s sad to hear this is still going on.  I wrote detailed feedback on my post cruise evaluation and asked to be contacted and they never did.  Finally my agent flagged it to them at a higher management level and they looked…. it seems the system automatically ignores any feedback if the average rating was ok, even if specific topics were rated poorly and even if people asked to be contacted.  Someone called me and was very apologetic, said they were aware of all the IT issues (including that one) and fixing them…. but that was 3 months ago.  Also BTW, unlike other luxury brands they didn’t offer any meaningful incentive for an unhappy customer to give them another chance. (and they do not offer any discount for loyalty if you’ve cruised with them before).  I have 9 future cruises booked but none with Explora.  It feels like they don’t care, so why would I give them my business?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, JTor said:

It’s sad to hear this is still going on.  I wrote detailed feedback on my post cruise evaluation and asked to be contacted and they never did.  Finally my agent flagged it to them at a higher management level and they looked…. it seems the system automatically ignores any feedback if the average rating was ok, even if specific topics were rated poorly and even if people asked to be contacted.  Someone called me and was very apologetic, said they were aware of all the IT issues (including that one) and fixing them…. but that was 3 months ago.  Also BTW, unlike other luxury brands they didn’t offer any meaningful incentive for an unhappy customer to give them another chance. (and they do not offer any discount for loyalty if you’ve cruised with them before).  I have 9 future cruises booked but none with Explora.  It feels like they don’t care, so why would I give them my business?

@JTor In my pre-retirement life, I was blessed to be both trained and to train other on the mind-set of the luxury guest.  This included what exceeds the guest expectations and what upset the luxury guest.  It was a life time of interesting data.  

Luxury guests are like deposits in banks.  If during their initial touch-points, they are treated well, a deposit is made. The more deposits, the more the guest will put up with a certain level of issues if and when the come up. It is very important that at every touch-point, they are treated professionally, with great listening skills, where action promised are actually done, and as you mentioned in a timely progress, reported back on your issue before the client contact the brand again.  

Luxury client actually rate the brand higher if an issue happens, that issue is resolved in a timely matter, to the clients satisfaction.  The client rates them higher then if no issue had ever happened.  The reason is, most clients think, if an issue happens it may never be resolved.  When it does and it is a priority of the brand, the brand gets better scores.  Interesting stuff.  

The other interesting issue is if an issue like both of our IT situations do EVENTUALLY get resolved, but it takes forever, we get NO feedback throughout the process or we fix it ourselves out of frustration; that same client could care less the issue is resolved.  They will harbor resentment with the way it was handled.  So fixing it is only part of the equation.  Fixing it fast, to the clients satisfaction it the key.  Most brands fail at issue resolution in a huge way. This is even worse when the brand marketing department make Value Statement like and I am Paraphrasing, "We will re-define the Luxury Cruise Market."

To your point in showing appreciate to the client for their patience with some sort of perk.  That is ONLY needed, it the resolution take way to long and other issues happen that frustrate the client throughout the process.  If the issue is resolved quickly, the client is more then pleased. 

As this relates to Explora Journey Cruises.  This learning curve is taking them way long.  For me, I can deal with it, because I have been on the other side of this issue.  I know, the actual cruise will be lovely. In addition, I have leveraged two sales that are working together.  So to coin a word, "The price is right".  If it was their normal pricing, depending on the penalty, I would have cancelled already.  

Hope all that makes sense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

@JTor In my pre-retirement life, I was blessed to be both trained and to train other on the mind-set of the luxury guest.  This included what exceeds the guest expectations and what upset the luxury guest.  It was a life time of interesting data.  

Luxury guests are like deposits in banks.  If during their initial touch-points, they are treated well, a deposit is made. The more deposits, the more the guest will put up with a certain level of issues if and when the come up. It is very important that at every touch-point, they are treated professionally, with great listening skills, where action promised are actually done, and as you mentioned in a timely progress, reported back on your issue before the client contact the brand again.  

Luxury client actually rate the brand higher if an issue happens, that issue is resolved in a timely matter, to the clients satisfaction.  The client rates them higher then if no issue had ever happened.  The reason is, most clients think, if an issue happens it may never be resolved.  When it does and it is a priority of the brand, the brand gets better scores.  Interesting stuff.  

The other interesting issue is if an issue like both of our IT situations do EVENTUALLY get resolved, but it takes forever, we get NO feedback throughout the process or we fix it ourselves out of frustration; that same client could care less the issue is resolved.  They will harbor resentment with the way it was handled.  So fixing it is only part of the equation.  Fixing it fast, to the clients satisfaction it the key.  Most brands fail at issue resolution in a huge way. This is even worse when the brand marketing department make Value Statement like and I am Paraphrasing, "We will re-define the Luxury Cruise Market."

To your point in showing appreciate to the client for their patience with some sort of perk.  That is ONLY needed, it the resolution take way to long and other issues happen that frustrate the client throughout the process.  If the issue is resolved quickly, the client is more then pleased. 

As this relates to Explora Journey Cruises.  This learning curve is taking them way long.  For me, I can deal with it, because I have been on the other side of this issue.  I know, the actual cruise will be lovely. In addition, I have leveraged two sales that are working together.  So to coin a word, "The price is right".  If it was their normal pricing, depending on the penalty, I would have cancelled already.  

Perfectly logical and well stated.  I have always held the belief based on my travel experience that the beginning and end matter the most as far as how I feel about my travel experience as the middle usually takes care of itself.  This applies to my hotel experiences and travel  in general JMHO which may not matter to anyone but me

Thank you for your thoughts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Gary:  I hear you but …. (and this is directed at many on these boards!)

…. post Covid, it’s a different world out there. We all know that I’m an Explora cheerleader as I simply love the onboard product.

I’ve given up trying to do ANYTHING on the Seabourn website for my upcoming cruise as it’s basically nonfunctional.

Our friends who are Regent Gold were treated ABONIBABLY by Regent this past week regarding their upcoming sailing. I’m hoping that they post their story on the Regent boards.

All the cruise lines are feeling the same pressures and are having just bizarre customer service issues.

My point?

It’s messy out there!

2 minutes ago, Dr. Cocktail said:

Gary:  I hear you but …. (and this is directed at many on these boards!)

…. post Covid, it’s a different world out there. We all know that I’m an Explora cheerleader as I simply love the onboard product.

I’ve given up trying to do ANYTHING on the Seabourn website for my upcoming cruise as it’s basically nonfunctional.

Our friends who are Regent Gold were treated ABONIBABLY by Regent this past week regarding their upcoming sailing. I’m hoping that they post their story on the Regent boards.

All the cruise lines are feeling the same pressures and are having just bizarre customer service issues.

My point?

It’s messy out there!

Yes I too am an Explora cheer leader having 1st sailed EJ  in October 2023 find the product post covid to be great on board and better than most. I have found back of the house still needs work such as dealing with Ambassadors but it has improved over time.

We have been on 3 lines post covid and found O and Celebrity noticeably different with products that have deterioted a bit post covid.

EJ has been excellent and we are booked again

Enjoy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JTor said:

I have 9 future cruises booked but none with Explora.  It feels like they don’t care, so why would I give them my business?

Because you found value in the on board experience.  The 9 future cruises will deliver a better product than Explora.