Ideas for wheelchair user?

dcsam

Hello fellow cruisers. How handicap ‘friendly’ is Oceania’s new Vista?  Are there other luxury cruiseline/ships that would be a good fit for someone using a wheelchair?  We loved Viking Oceans and felt it was one of the most accessible ships we’ve cruised on.  However, I think they, and other guests, would rather not have wheelchair users onboard.  We recently cruised with Oceania aboard the Regatta, and realize it’s time we give up that class of ship - very challenging for wheelchair users. 

Looking at Seabourn, Crystal (Serenity), Regent or Oceania’s new Vista.  

Automatic, public ada bathroom doors. Low thresholds, wider hallways, automatic doors into the pool deck area.  These things are important.  

Perhaps newer ships would be best. Yet, we don’t want to cruise the mass-market, mega-sized ships.  

Ideas?  Suggestions?

Thank you!

I use a rollator and I can see how the Regatta could be a problem. The larger Oceania ships are better. I’ve not sailed on the Vista but I would assume that that’s even better again. The newer Seabourn ships would be ok and they show accessible routes on their deck plans so take  a look. Also the larger Silversea would be ok. I think the newest Nova has good self opening doors etc.

I must admit I’ve not had problems on any of the ships and there’s always somebody happy to open a door!

On the VISTA  most of the doors to the outside decks  either had a sensor when you got close the door opened or they have  a red button on the wall you wave your hand in front & the door opens for you

The public washrooms  had the green button .wave you hand infront & the door opens   same as the H/C stall then inside  wave infront of the red button  door locks

also an emergency pull cord in the H/C stall

Cannot comment on the  accessible cabins  there were a couple we passed on deck 7  the door is wider    but we did not see in the cabin   so hope someone will comment further

The staff are very helpful moving a chair if needed to pass in the public areas  but most seem  fine  maybe Horizons  could be  an issue  but some of the crew will move the chair  out of the way

11 hours ago, LHT28 said:

On the VISTA  most of the doors to the outside decks  either had a sensor when you got close the door opened or they have  a red button on the wall you wave your hand in front & the door opens for you

The public washrooms  had the green button .wave you hand infront & the door opens   same as the H/C stall then inside  wave infront of the red button  door locks

also an emergency pull cord in the H/C stall

Cannot comment on the  accessible cabins  there were a couple we passed on deck 7  the door is wider    but we did not see in the cabin   so hope someone will comment further

The staff are very helpful moving a chair if needed to pass in the public areas  but most seem  fine  maybe Horizons  could be  an issue  but some of the crew will move the chair  out of the way

Though a fixable item, I hope those automatic doors on Vista work better now than in June. Oceania had removed the door handles for entrance into the bathrooms and was using the motion detectors. Some didn’t work well, or at all. A host of Jedi warriors waving their hands trying to get the bathroom door open varied between humorous and tragic. Oceania should have kept the handles! 

Just now, pinotlover said:

Though a fixable item, I hope those automatic doors on Vista work better now than in June. Oceania had removed the door handles for entrance into the bathrooms and was using the motion detectors. Some didn’t work well, or at all. A host of Jedi warriors waving their hands trying to get the bathroom door open varied between humorous and tragic. Oceania should have kept the handles! 

I finally figured out that I should not wave my hand but just hold it still in front of the sensor.....it only took 3 weeks onboard for me 

• Haha 2

Hi, I don't know about Oceania, but (as you asked for other lines wheelchair friendly) we were at Cunard's Queen Victoria in the 1st/2nd week of September and my daughter was surprised of how marvellous the access was all over the sip. Not just the physical access, but both crew and most of the passengers are fabulous and will help you out. We don't like big vessels. I think Queen Victoria is under 2000) we felt great and had the most wonderful time. Also we saw a lot of people with mobility impairments having a great time too, not just wheels hairs but walkers and other mobility aids. The boarding and disembark were made a breath of fresh air by their system and crew