Just back - Celebrity Flora - Galapagos / Machu Picchu 16 night trip

Shiba_Lover

14 minutes ago, Hawaiian Mongoose said:

Aloha Shuba_Lover,

Thanks for the in depth review.

We are leaving for our cruise in a week.  I am confused by the information out there on insect spray and sunblock.  Are there any restrictions on either insect spray or sunblock?

Thanks,

Patric

They would prefer you to use reef safe sun block.  They do provide this for you in room ( and will replenish ).  We never needed insect repellent on Galapagos, but they asked it to be non aerosol.  They did have it available.  You do need if going on to Machu Picchu, there were some mosquitoes.  Have a great trip!!

4 hours ago, Shiba_Lover said:

They would prefer you to use reef safe sun block.  They do provide this for you in room ( and will replenish ).  We never needed insect repellent on Galapagos, but they asked it to be non aerosol.  They did have it available.  You do need if going on to Machu Picchu, there were some mosquitoes.  Have a great trip!!

Just to clarify on insect repellent - we did not need it for Galapagos in October.  Those going in other times may need it if they are reading this.

On 11/1/2023 at 1:47 PM, Shiba_Lover said:

Just to clarify on insect repellent - we did not need it for Galapagos in October.  Those going in other times may need it if they are reading this.

Very nice review and photos. We will be out there in a couple of weeks.

Were you allowed to bring a backpack (personal item) in addition to the 22 lb carryon luggage or were they considered to be the same thing?

On 11/2/2023 at 8:04 PM, rowval said:

sounds like you had an amazing times, we were on the xpedition 9:yrs ago, we had unlimited alcoholic beverages then , is it the same now? 

Yes.  Everything was included.  WiFi, Gratuities, alcohol, all the excursions.  The only thing you could purchase was a massage in the spa or a few items in a small gift shop.  

5 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Very nice review and photos. We will be out there in a couple of weeks.

Were you allowed to bring a backpack (personal item) in addition to the 22 lb carryon luggage or were they considered to be the same thing?

I had a backpack, my purse and a checked bag.  Others had similar.  Enjoy your trip!

6 hours ago, GlobalCruiser1960 said:

Great post!

Question. I am quite near-sighted. Did they have magnifying lens snorkel masks available or should I bring my own?

thanks. 

If you need a prescription lens mask - you should bring it.  They only have non-prescription ones.

On 11/2/2023 at 3:09 PM, calicakes said:

We're currently on Eclipse and just booked Flora for Oct 2025.  Thanks for the info.  Did you bring any snacks from home?  We like to have pretzels/nuts as a snack.  

You cannot bring nuts, seeds or fruit.  It is checked prior to boarding.  Other things are allowed.  We didn't bring anything.  I will say they serve a small snack when you come back from excursions - like a small nacho bar or mini sandwiches.  They also have chips and cookies, crackers, cheese available in the evenings.

On 10/23/2023 at 8:39 PM, prmssk said:

Thanks for sharing!  Great photos!  We are less than three weeks away from our 10 night trip on the Xpedition.

We are on the Xpedition in February and would appreciate your comments about the ship, especially any things that are different from OPs experiences on Flora.

tia

• Like 1

On 11/9/2023 at 10:53 PM, ReturnCruiser said:

Hello Shiba_Lover

When you went to Machu Picchu, how much time did you actually have at the site and about what time did you arrive and leave.  We are doing the same trip in late January .

We arrived around lunch and had a lunch buffet in the restaurant there.  Then we set off to explore.  They ask if you want to explore the lower grounds only or hike up to the views.  You have a choice which guide to go with.  We went up to the top views.  We explored hiked about 3.5 hours.  Then we went back to the hotel for tea/ snacks before the train out.  This was around 4:45 ish I think

11 hours ago, Poconolady said:

I’m really enjoying your trip report.We will be on Flora in August, along with our daughter and her  husband  and two grandkids, age 13 & 16.  Is there anything in the evenings for the teens to do? What channels are there on the tv?

There is really not much.  TV has really nothing.  The evening activities are only three briefings for next day activities, then dinner.  One night they had a trivia contest and a crossword puzzle.  For both there are prizes, so they may like that.  Both are all about the Galapagos, so have them pay attention to the little tidbits/fun facts the naturalists mention.  And I've night there is a silent disco, which was a lot of fun.  Other than that, I would say load up an iPad with Netflix shows or something for them.  If course if you are going on August, there may be some other teens onboard, so they may find some new friends to hand out with 

Edited by Shiba_Lover

10 hours ago, Shiba_Lover said:

We flew home from Lima.  If you are on the package, they take you back to Lima included in the package.

Thanks. We are booked for early June 2024 for the 16 day but don’t have the full details.

On 11/12/2023 at 6:38 PM, rjwex said:

Thanks. We are booked for early June 2024 for the 16 day but don’t have the full details.

Here's the details for Peru.  One note... On the Sunday we moved from Quito to Lima, it was the day of presidential elections and we had a later flight.  They gave us day rooms at the EB hotel near the airport.  We were told they don't always do that, so I think it may have been because of the elections/ extra caution.  Oh and on arrival in Lima, it was really late.  I don't think anyone ate dinner, but it was available (as room service or in the restaurant).  

20231116_094121.jpg

20231116_094132.jpg

20231116_094139.jpg

20231116_094147.jpg

Edited by Shiba_Lover