Local currency onboard

Jordanyaya1

Has any been successful in getting local currency onboard? We will be sailing to Norway in May. I know most shops in Norway take credit cards but we wanted to have local currency for tips on excursions. Not sure we will ge able to get to an ATM before shore excursions. Looking to exchange US dollars or Euros for Norwegian Krone while onboard. 

Tipping isn’t that common in Norway but if you decide that you must have some Kroner, stop at an ATM. 

edit to add: when we were there in 2019 we had one tour guide that I tipped and I used £ - which he happily accepted. 

Edited by mrgabriel

37 minutes ago, Jordanyaya1 said:

Has any been successful in getting local currency onboard? We will be sailing to Norway in May. I know most shops in Norway take credit cards but we wanted to have local currency for tips on excursions. Not sure we will ge able to get to an ATM before shore excursions. Looking to exchange US dollars or Euros for Norwegian Krone while onboard. 

I was able to get some Krone from the purser but that was not recently so I don’t know if in this day and age of contact less they still have Krone. I think we got about $20. We got a bit more later from an ATM in Stavenger which was our first port.  Really could have waited and used the ATM. The exchange rate at the ATM was much better. 

Edited by Charles4515

While aboard I have seen that they carry some Local Currency of major currencies  - Dollars, Pounds, Euros and Yen.    Never seen less used currency. 

BTW the exchange rate is terrible and you would be better served to use an ATM connected to a bankcard that does not charge ATM fees.

You can tip in Shore Excursion Guides in Dollar, Pounds and Euros.   They will gladly accept them with a thank you.    Tipping is not as common a practice in many countries but they gladly accept them.

There’s also currency exchange at the airport. I prefer to have some cash on hand myself. I don’t need to use my card at every random gift shop and cafe. Some small merchants are cash only too. I also prefer using cash for taxis. I have been ordering currency from the bank prior to traveling too. 

26 minutes ago, tigervixxxen said:

There’s also currency exchange at the airport. I prefer to have some cash on hand myself. I don’t need to use my card at every random gift shop and cafe. Some small merchants are cash only too. I also prefer using cash for taxis. I have been ordering currency from the bank prior to traveling too. 

Currency exchanges don't have a good exchange rate. Really don't need cash in Norway except small change for public toilets.