Queen Anne

Minnie29

3 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

That inside cabin had two single beds together in the middle. Were they made up as a double, there would be slightly more from down the sides. Were they actually being used as two singles, they would probably be against the walls, leaving a larger space in the middle.

The plugs would be in a strange place if beds at the side...

If you book an inside you know what you are getting - and aren't expecting to be spending much time in there. There's a reason why they are cheap and you get everything else the same as 80% of the rest of the passengers.

The other cabins are no different in size to Vista cabins AFAIK

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

I think it must be mainly cabin. In all our years, we’ve never had a window seat in QG on the Vistas.

Same for us.  I'm preparing for that wall-facing seat in October.  I'm hoping that at least those banquette tables are spaced far enough apart that you're not sharing your meal with the next table.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

If you book an inside you know what you are getting - and aren't expecting to be spending much time in there. There's a reason why they are cheap and you get everything else the same as 80% of the rest of the passengers.

Yes, that is a point. Well, if I were on a cruise with my best friend, I wouldn’t want the beds together like that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alc13 said:

Same for us.  I'm preparing for that wall-facing seat in October.  I'm hoping that at least those banquette tables are spaced far enough apart that you're not sharing your meal with the next table.

You do share a table effectively with the next table in QM2 QG - or maybe it's just the bot where they put the first timers. Luckily neighbouring tables were good company, and you didn't have to make conversation, so almost perfect set up...

Just now, buchanan101 said:

You do share a table effectively with the next table in QM2 QG - or maybe it's just the bot where they put the first timers. Luckily neighbouring tables were good company, and you didn't have to make conversation, so almost perfect set up...

I think this happens in all the ships. Luckily, we have enjoyed the owners of nearly all the adjacent tables, some admittedly more than others. But, if they are not congenial, you just have to say Good Morning and that is it. Indeed saying Good Morning when arriving at dinner is an especially effective way of avoiding unwanted conversation. 😀

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

No bookshop. There must be a reason other than corporate insanity.

Considering how the bookshop on QM2 has deteriorated, I wonder if low sales there caused Cunard to give up on the idea. Or perhaps it will be in a section of another shop?

Just now, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Considering how the bookshop on QM2 has deteriorated, I wonder if low sales there caused Cunard to give up on the idea. Or perhaps it will be in a section of another shop?

But they always seem to be full of people, when I go in. Yes, I wondered if there might be at least some books in, say, the gift shop.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Well, I don’t know what it is, then. Obviously in your case you don’t arrive waving wads of notes at the M d’H. 😀😀

Ha, spot on. We don't do bribes!

It must have been my charming nature and winning smile wot did it! 😄

and did it thereafter until we went two top after Covid!

edit

Apart from twice, once on segments of a Worldie when the bubble housed two tops and once on an 'ordinary itinerary when again, two tops ruled!

Edited by Victoria2
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

Agree with the look comments but why should how a ship looks give a maritime experience? Genuinely interested; why is an interior that could have been on ships decades or even a century ago (as the other Queens) be synonymous with a maritime experience?

Pretty sure there were elements of decades old ships that I’d rather not experience…

I’m certainly not looking backwards for ship design ideas and I do find much of the design on QA pleasing. My maritime comments stem from Cunard’s unique connection to their maritime heritage that is apparent on their present ships. In the very limited videos I have seen, the ship looks more like a boutique hotel vs a Cunard ship. Again, not a bad thing but pictures and vids of QA could easily show a ship from several other premium lines. Luckily, as @exlondonerstates, there seems to be a connection to the sea and that is important to many of us. The QA is no mall at sea.
On a separate note, there seems also to be little attention given to the Royal family; other Cunard ships have artwork and busts of present and former Royalty. Maybe those on board can check that out and report back. 

1 minute ago, NE John said:

I’m certainly not looking backwards for ship design ideas and I do find much of the design on QA pleasing. My maritime comments stem from Cunard’s unique connection to their maritime heritage that is apparent on their present ships. In the very limited videos I have seen, the ship looks more like a boutique hotel vs a Cunard ship. Again, not a bad thing but pictures and vids of QA could easily show a ship from several other premium lines. Luckily, as @exlondonerstates, there seems to be a connection to the sea and that is important to many of us. The QA is no mall at sea.
On a separate note, there seems also to be little attention given to the Royal family; other Cunard ships have artwork and busts of present and former Royalty. Maybe those on board can check that out and report back. 

Thought I saw some royal portraits in Chris Frame's tour?

• Like 3

I just saw a picture of the Queens Room. I suspect some purists won't like it but I can see some positives. The floor has a curve all the way round from the acute corners either side of the stage. In practice that means it only really has two "lines of dance". We can dance for ages following the main line of dance, turn in the first tight corner, cross in front of stage to another turn, then another lengthy line. If one gets bored part way along you can always throw in an extra turn here and there.

The seats near the floor look very practical. Probably wishful thinking, but if the gold bases  swivelled that would be ideal! Face the table whilst taking our refreshments and when the music starts simply swivel round and launch ourselves onto the dance floor.

The downside so far is that I haven't seen it being used for actual dancing yet.

And of course since it's not a transatlantic liner we won't be on it.

23 hours ago, busmech said:

I think to many pay restaurants. People will go if on a 7 nightish cruise but can see them empty most of the time on the world cruise. Will have to find out as my sister is boarding tomorrow. 

For a new, non-grill, WC passenger, which QA restaurants will be included in the price?

5 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

The QA insides are considerably smaller than the Vistas and Queen Mary.  As for "cheap" as the ship has been built without any single cabins they will in a lot of cases be the only reasonably priced cabin for many solos.  For 14 nights on 8 September that miniscule inside cabin is costing me £3508.  Admittedly the 24 May late booking on  late saver was only £2098.  There are apparently 348 of these cabins which is a fairly large number on a 3,000 capacity ship.  You mentioned P&O's Britannia back in your comparisons and she has 448 with no outsides and her insides are 170 sq ft minimum.

These "cheap" inside cabins will need to be filled to ensure the ship stays profitable. Disregarding the people choosing them is a little short sighted.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

The QA insides are considerably smaller than the Vistas and Queen Mary.  As for "cheap" as the ship has been built without any single cabins they will in a lot of cases be the only reasonably priced cabin for many solos.  For 14 nights on 8 September that miniscule inside cabin is costing me £3508.  Admittedly the 24 May late booking on  late saver was only £2098.  There are apparently 348 of these cabins which is a fairly large number on a 3,000 capacity ship.  You mentioned P&O's Britannia back in your comparisons and she has 448 with no outsides and her insides are 170 sq ft minimum.

These "cheap" inside cabins will need to be filled to ensure the ship stays profitable. Disregarding the people choosing them is a little short sighted.

According to the brochure, standard insides on QV are 152, those on QA 148. I would call that a very slight difference, not a considerable one. QM slightly larger at 157.

• Like 1

Just now, exlondoner said:

According to the brochure, standard insides on QV are 152, those on QA 148. I would call that a very slight difference, not a considerable one. QM slightly larger at 157.

QA is 13sqm apparently around 145sq ft. This is actually slightly larger than P&O Arvia at 135sq ft and these are more than adequate as their layout is different.  The one inside shown in the videos I have seen does not have a layout to make the small space feel larger in the way QE and QV has. 

This is all beside the point really, the fact is there is a big market for inside cabins on all cruise lines from Southampton which seems to get overlooked by posters on all of these forums.  With rising interest in cruising many will choose an inside as a tester and these cabins will become that.  The person to whom I replied was in my opinion a little flippant about those choosing inside cabins.  

My point was they aren't "cheap" when compared with other lines sailing from Southampton and no matter how good the offering is if new UK passengers - as suggested in the X comment two days ago by Cunard - are being tapped for this ship "designed for the UK market" it's best not to forget those people.

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

The solution to facing wall in QG , is to make it a mirrored wall , will also make room seem wider.

Ewww. One thing worse than looking at a wall is looking at me!

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, NE John said:

BTW - Has a Godmother been named for QA’s Liverpool christening yet?

BBC reporting that all be revealed a week before. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

BBC reporting that all be revealed a week before. 

If it’s going to be a Royal, I’d hope for The Queen (Camilla). Sadly The Princess of Wales is out of the equation and it would be odd for it to be The Princess Royal as she’s called Anne but isn’t a Queen! If not The Queen, I’ve always liked The Duchess of Edinburgh.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Selbourne said:

If it’s going to be a Royal, I’d hope for The Queen (Camilla). Sadly The Princess of Wales is out of the equation and it would be odd for it to be The Princess Royal as she’s called Anne but isn’t a Queen! If not The Queen, I’ve always liked The Duchess of Edinburgh.

I'm hoping it will be The Princess Royal although the D o f E would be a grand choice too. Two wonderful royal ladies.

• Like 4

Another review. Though I don't think INfamous is the right word for the Queens Room and Golden Lion. 

Also isn't it Mr Brainwash in Clarendon, not Banksy. (Very dangerous that gallery - cost me as much as the cabin on QM2 TA)

40 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Another review. Though I don't think INfamous is the right word for the Queens Room and Golden Lion. 

Also isn't it Mr Brainwash in Clarendon, not Banksy. (Very dangerous that gallery - cost me as much as the cabin on QM2 TA)

Yes, she clearly doesn’t know the current usage of infamous. On the other hand she was down to earth enough to have no truck with Artisan’s Food Hall, and just called it the buffet. I must say I do think the ship (mainly) looks great.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

@exlondoner yes it was a good review and yes the ship looks great. Hopefully everything will be running smoothly in 7 weeks' time as the restaurants sound a bit overwhelemed at the moment

Here is a rather tipsy Jamie reviewing the Indian restaurant as much as the ship...The food looks fantastic