Queen Anne

Minnie29

8 hours ago, canoncruiser said:

I have a large glossy Cunard publicity book from the earliest days of QE2 which is full of ‘bright young things’ of the late 1960s, bell bottoms, long hair, mini skirts-the works; and the reaction to the new ship’s decor was shock and negative awe. I first sailed on QE2 in 1973 and the purple, orange, chrome strips and wine leather and blue and green reversed leather, plastic pillars-they were radical departures from all at Cunard that had gone before. 

I had a bon voyage party in the soon to disappear Observation Lounge and the stewards were veterans of the older Queens. Their reviews were very mixed. Also remember the slogan “Ships have been boring long enough"

Cunard was then and again now is reaching for a younger demographic with Queen Anne. Over the coming years she may undergo interior changes just like QE2.

I’ll be aboard in July-we’ll see. 

I expect interior changes will only happen if she’s not popular. Looks good to me. But maybe at 63 I’m the younger demographic 😉

2 hours ago, buchanan101 said:

I thought that their Vlogging income could get them more than an inside though they have the better “landscape” layout. 

As a matter of interest how can you find out which cabins have the "landscape" layout?

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

As a matter of interest how can you find out which cabins have the "landscape" layout?

Just look at the deck plans. Most staterooms are portrait in respect of the main door, some are clearly landscape. So on QA, look at 4060 and 4062. Or for inside staterooms, compare 1116 and 1114. On QA there aren't many so we can probably guess which one they were in.

2 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

Just look at the deck plans. Most staterooms are portrait in respect of the main door, some are clearly landscape. So on QA, look at 4060 and 4062. Or for inside staterooms, compare 1116 and 1114. On QA there aren't many so we can probably guess which one they were in.

I picked a cabin on Q2 that was landscape but when I arrived it was standard portrait layout  so not 100% sure that the plans are accurate and this would work to find them, 

3 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

I picked a cabin on Q2 that was landscape but when I arrived it was standard portrait layout  so not 100% sure that the plans are accurate and this would work to find them, 

That's news to me. Which stateroom was that? 

42 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

Q2 is Queens Grill - and large. Not going to be landscape or portrait. 

If you mean an inside it could be one on a corner and door position not clear? 

the landscape insides seem to be a bit bigger, or better laid out. One of the other Vlogger couples had one. 

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, canoncruiser said:

I have a large glossy Cunard publicity book from the earliest days of QE2 which is full of ‘bright young things’ of the late 1960s, bell bottoms, long hair, mini skirts-the works; and the reaction to the new ship’s decor was shock and negative awe. I first sailed on QE2 in 1973 and the purple, orange, chrome strips and wine leather and blue and green reversed leather, plastic pillars-they were radical departures from all at Cunard that had gone before. 

I had a bon voyage party in the soon to disappear Observation Lounge and the stewards were veterans of the older Queens. Their reviews were very mixed. Also remember the slogan “Ships have been boring long enough"

Cunard was then and again now is reaching for a younger demographic with Queen Anne. Over the coming years she may undergo interior changes just like QE2.

I’ll be aboard in July-we’ll see. 

You may be mentioning this early QE2 Cunard promo?

Edited by NE John
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Pushpit said:

Just had an interesting time researching these on Queen Anne.  I'm intrigued by Deck 8 forward where there are two inside cabins 8019 and 8023 all by themselves.  What is in that big white area, I'm particularly interested as I've been allocated a cabin immediately below it on Deck 7.

5 hours ago, canoncruiser said:

Thanks, I’ve not seen that , but I have an actual book. Not expensively bound but a thin outsized book nevertheless. 

Groovy man…never thought that phrase would describe QE2. That video was certainly groovy. 

47 minutes ago, NE John said:

Groovy man…never thought that phrase would describe QE2. That video was certainly groovy. 

QE2 was never designed to be a stodgy, old school, traditional ocean liner.  She was very forward thinking in design and decor.  Think black carpets and white bulkheads.  How she was at the end of her career (ocean liner theme) was never the original intent. 

• Like 3

Not it was not the original intent. QE2 was the ship of her time- the outgoing 60´s and 70´s - well as we know that style quickly ( thank god) went out of fashion. The Ocean Liner theme- in my opinion-  is timeless, with some alternations of course- but the basic style I thing will never go out of date.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Just had an interesting time researching these on Queen Anne.  I'm intrigued by Deck 8 forward where there are two inside cabins 8019 and 8023 all by themselves.  What is in that big white area, I'm particularly interested as I've been allocated a cabin immediately below it on Deck 7.

You have piqued my interest I will take a look. 

2 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

You have piqued my interest I will take a look. 

7 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I have three ideas. 1 it is a row of cabins that are not available for the public to book. There is a run like that on QE which are reserved exclusively for guest entertainers and other hosts etc.. They are shown on deck plans as a large white area. I had the last guest one before the run once and it was fine as you can imagine. 2. It is some kind of crew storage housekeeping area. 3 Looks like Bridge is on deck 8 so may be offices, cabins etc associated with Bridge.( Back  in the day before Starlink I had a cabin next to the Bridge and the WiFi was much better than I had ever had before. Even had connection in an inside.)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Winifred 22 said:

I have three ideas. 1 it is a row of cabins that are not available for the public to book. There is a run like that on QE which are reserved exclusively for guest entertainers and other hosts etc.. They are shown on deck plans as a large white area. I had the last guest one before the run once and it was fine as you can imagine. 2. It is some kind of crew storage housekeeping area. 3 Looks like Bridge is on deck 8 so may be offices, cabins etc associated with Bridge.( Back  in the day before Starlink I had a cabin next to the Bridge and the WiFi was much better than I had ever had before. Even had connection in an inside.)

All good ideas.  I'm very nervous about it being some noisy after my Arvia nightmare.  I think I really would not be able to cope a second time.  Still at least I'd be in the UK and could get off without the flight complications!

19 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

All good ideas.  I'm very nervous about it being some noisy after my Arvia nightmare.  I think I really would not be able to cope a second time.  Still at least I'd be in the UK and could get off without the flight complications!

Hopefully it won’t be noisy for you. I have no idea is there if there any availability left on this cruise. I would have liked to have done it but originally the dates didn’t work for me. Certainly I don’t think any of my suggestions would suggest excessive noise above standard levels. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Invest  in a white noise machine on a just in case basis. They’re brilliant as long as you don’t choose any water programmes! 😂

We used to stay in a wonderful hotel with a fabulous room, but it overlooked a pool terrace with a hot tub and fire pit. A magnet for late evening drinking sessions even though there was a 'curfew'.

The noise machine cut out all background noise and we never go away without it now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Invest  in a white noise machine on a just in case basis. They’re brilliant as long as you don’t choose any water programmes! 😂

We used to stay in a wonderful hotel with a fabulous room, but it overlooked a pool terrace with a hot tub and fire pit. A magnet for late evening drinking sessions even though there was a 'curfew'.

The noise machine cut out all background noise and we never go away without it now.

Thank you for the suggestion.  Courtesy of Mr Amazon I now have one arriving tomorrow!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

It looks as though it’s a continuation of the Bridge area, so is most likely connected with that, but whether or not that would be a noise issue is anybody’s guess. I tend to avoid ‘white’ areas on the assumption that they will be!

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

It looks as though it’s a continuation of the Bridge area, so is most likely connected with that, but whether or not that would be a noise issue is anybody’s guess. I tend to avoid ‘white’ areas on the assumption that they will be!

On this occasion it was a take it or leave it cabin.  At the time I booked at the end of March the offer was on a guarantee basis only.  Annoyingly this changed shortly after and a considerable number of Cunard fares opened up but by then too late for me.  The only grade consistently sold out has been as normal Queen's Grill. Interestingly as at yesterday only insides are sold out with availability at all other levels including Queens Grill. 

My guess is that the dreadful UK weather has scared a lot of the British off and as a result lower level cabins have not been taken up by those as a result.  In my experience international guests seem to prefer the higher grade rooms and I'd guess this is reflected in the lack of take up below Club Balcony.  The last few insides were on sale at £999 two days ago, as a solo I paid £1779 at the end of March. At that price I'm more than happy to take my chances and in my experience Cunard are much more likely to be sympathetic if I have a problem.

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

On this occasion it was a take it or leave it cabin.  At the time I booked at the end of March the offer was on a guarantee basis only.  Annoyingly this changed shortly after and a considerable number of Cunard fares opened up but by then too late for me.  The only grade consistently sold out has been as normal Queen's Grill. Interestingly as at yesterday only insides are sold out with availability at all other levels including Queens Grill. 

My guess is that the dreadful UK weather has scared a lot of the British off and as a result lower level cabins have not been taken up by those as a result.  In my experience international guests seem to prefer the higher grade rooms and I'd guess this is reflected in the lack of take up below Club Balcony.  The last few insides were on sale at £999 two days ago, as a solo I paid £1779 at the end of March. At that price I'm more than happy to take my chances and in my experience Cunard are much more likely to be sympathetic if I have a problem.

Is this for next weeks British Isles cruise? If so, I suspect that the upgrades have just been allocated, hence the changes in availability. I was surprised to see that it was still possible to pay to upgrade just a week or so prior to departure although, as with P&O, the minimum bid prices were excessive IMHO. If we had been prepared to pay that much more we would have done so when we originally booked and had the first choice of cabins!

12 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Just checked  Holland America’s 3 ships in the same class. They are all showing a similar set up but with 4 cabins.  2x2 side by side, I think we can be sure it is probably something to do with Bridge. 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Is this for next weeks British Isles cruise? If so, I suspect that the upgrades have just been allocated, hence the changes in availability. I was surprised to see that it was still possible to pay to upgrade just a week or so prior to departure although, as with P&O, the minimum bid prices were excessive IMHO. If we had been prepared to pay that much more we would have done so when we originally booked and had the first choice of cabins!

Yes.  The upgrades started being allocated weeks ago, there are some on the roll call who were upgraded as soon as they bid..  I was offered one immediately on booking.  It was about £1,000 less than making a new booking to go from inside to outside.  An outside when I booked was £3,700 or thereabouts whereas my upgrade bids started at £325pp so £650 for one.  I did weigh it up and it's actually still open to me but in the end decided to stick.  Queen Anne is going to be expensive for solo travellers on first booking so if I like her it will most likely be late offerings for me.  

I booked on a whim as we had cancelled our September cruise on her to sail on P&O Aurora with our entire family in August instead.  I wanted to say I travelled all four Queens in one year and this was the easiest solution.

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Yes.  The upgrades started being allocated weeks ago, there are some on the roll call who were upgraded as soon as they bid..  I was offered one immediately on booking.  It was about £1,000 less than making a new booking to go from inside to outside.  An outside when I booked was £3,700 or thereabouts whereas my upgrade bids started at £325pp so £650 for one.  I did weigh it up and it's actually still open to me but in the end decided to stick.  Queen Anne is going to be expensive for solo travellers on first booking so if I like her it will most likely be late offerings for me.  

I booked on a whim as we had cancelled our September cruise on her to sail on P&O Aurora with our entire family in August instead.  I wanted to say I travelled all four Queens in one year and this was the easiest solution.

We booked this one at launch as we wanted an accessible Club balcony cabin and there are only two of them. I didn’t keep a note of the Grills prices when we booked, as we are very keen to try Club, but my recollection was that the price differentials at launch weren’t much different to the minimum upgrade bids.

We are paying a lot more for this cruise than our November QA Med cruise (also in accessible Club balcony) and we booked that one well after launch, so we won’t be rushing to book at launch any more. One odd thing though, we received a ‘price adjustment refund’ of £362 from Cunard for our British Isles cruise over a year after we booked, which softened the blow very slightly. That’s never happened to us in almost 30 years of cruising!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I just checked out the area next to those 2 cabins. Next to 8019 there is a steward's closet, and the other 3 doors all say crew only, so not really helpful. I listened to find out if there was anything to be heard behind those doors, but I heard nothing and then decided to leave as a cabin steward was giving me funny looks. Sorry I can't be more helpful as to the risk of noise below :(. I am hoping to do a bridge tour so maybe I will be able to peek into those areas without getting thrown off the ship.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1