Are we back to three evening dress codes again?

cruisestitch

DH likes to dress up more frequently than suggested since, being retired, it's one of the few chances to wear his many sets of cufflinks. Otherwise those fabulous Redskins links--now a collector's item!--would sit silently in their box at home...

Posted (edited)
On 2/26/2024 at 8:48 PM, frteach said:

Thanks, Nutsaboutgolf. Not something that everybody could wear for sure. I was picturing a rash on a different body part, so I'm glad to be enlightened!

"Rashguard" comes from "rash guard" which is worn to protect against "gi rash" by practitioners of Judo, and likely other grappling combat disciplines (I used to work out Judo). When someone grips your gi (the top garment with long sleeves and overlapping front, secured by a belt) and pulls you or tightens up their grip or whatever, your skin can get caught in the folds of the gi and bruising can occur. This is bruising is known as "gi rash". Wearing a "rash guard" allows the gi to slip over the underlying surfaces without catching/pinching your skin. 

Quick and dirty explanation - I'm sure there are variants, but you get the idea. 😎

Edited by Club Eleven

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Club Eleven said:

"Rashguard" comes from "rash guard" which is worn to protect against "gi rash" by practitioners of Judo, and likely other grappling combat disciplines (I used to work out Judo). When someone grips your gi (the top garment with long sleeves and overlapping front, secured by a belt) and pulls you or tightens up their grip or whatever, your skin can get caught in the folds of the gi and bruising can occur. This is bruising is known as "gi rash". Wearing a "rash guard" allows the gi to slip over the underlying surfaces without catching/pinching your skin. 

Quick and dirty explanation - I'm sure there are variants, but you get the idea. 😎

Here on the beaches, it replaced old tee shirts as a garment to help surfers avoid a rash on their chest and upper arms from paddling against the sticky wax on their surfboards

Edited by sofietucker
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

Here on the beaches, it replaced old tee shirts as a garment to help surfers avoid a rash on their chest and upper arms from paddling against the sticky wax on their surfboards

Cool - I hadn't known this!  Sounds like a significantly more mainstream etymology than the Judo thing!  LOL

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Plus rash guards are typically fairly tight fitting, so they don't ride up in the water, and super fast-drying fabric so you don't have to keep removing it to stay dry.

Edited by sofietucker