Excursion Booking

Crestawave

Hi Everyone 

We're trying to book our excursions for our first cruise. We was on the ball and had everything selected and in our checkout basket 5 minutes after the opening time ie 8pm GMT . We've submitted all the payments details and it came up that it should all go through within 5 minutes. 20 minutes later nothings happened. Is this usually the case where possibly everyone of the same cabin type, DV in our case, tries to book excursions at the same time?

We had the same problem last Saturday. Looked to see bookings opened at 8.00pm GMT. (GMT is standard UK winter time). Only problem is that 8.00pm GMT is actually 9.00pm BST (British Summer Time), so when I went on at 8.10pm by my watch - 50 minutes before 8.00pm GMT) booking was already opened. Viking clearly hadn’t sorted out UK times as compared to whichever US timezone they calculate from.

still got the main excursion we wanted and “booked” it. Payment transferred to credit card authorisation app on my phone which I approved and went back to MVJ. It said payment approved and to close the window. When I did it then said payment failed. Did this again on both different platform (Windows v Mac) and different credit card. Eventually excursion sold out. Tried another one next morning and same happened. phoned Viking and they booked me the reserve excursion over phone. No explanation as to what happened or apology for their timing error. They had same timing error on the restaurant bookings the following week.

they have now updated availability and suggested that 1 space has opened up on the original excursion and did we want to change 1 person to that. I guess some couples might want to split excursions, but not us.

• Like 1

All sorted.

One of the three non inclusive excursions we tried to book must have sold out whilst it was in our basket but the only way to find this out was to login on a different device otherwise I'd have waiting all night for the original screen to update.

As far as the trip we missed out on is it a matter of if there's enough interest ie people on a reserve list, Viking will book some more spaces or is it taking a chance on someone dropping out ?

On 10/28/2023 at 12:30 PM, Crestawave said:

Hi Everyone 

We're trying to book our excursions for our first cruise. We was on the ball and had everything selected and in our checkout basket 5 minutes after the opening time ie 8pm GMT . We've submitted all the payments details and it came up that it should all go through within 5 minutes. 20 minutes later nothings happened. Is this usually the case where possibly everyone of the same cabin type, DV in our case, tries to book excursions at the same time?

Yes that happens all the time.

Most people put one or two in the cart first that they value the most and check out, then go back and repeat the process.  You aren't guaranteed anything with tours in the cart, only when checkout is processed.  There are even various "tricks" to speeding up the checkout process.  I've managed to get 2 excursions completed in one minute after the opening at 12 noon Pacific.

Lots of threads on this Viking forum explain the gory details ad naseum.  Do a search for details.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CCWineLover said:

Yes that happens all the time.

Most people put one or two in the cart first that they value the most and check out, then go back and repeat the process.  You aren't guaranteed anything with tours in the cart, only when checkout is processed.  There are even various "tricks" to speeding up the checkout process.  I've managed to get 2 excursions completed in one minute after the opening at 12 noon Pacific.

Lots of threads on this Viking forum explain the gory details ad naseum.  Do a search for details.

Just want to ask the more seasoned cruisers with Viking - do they ever add more slots to the non-included excursion?  Or is it a fixed number for each sailing, and the only way for a sold-out excursion to become available again is if someone had cancelled?

1 minute ago, Reaniel said:

Just want to ask the more seasoned cruisers with Viking - do they ever add more slots to the non-included excursion?  Or is it a fixed number for each sailing, and the only way for a sold-out excursion to become available again is if someone had cancelled?

We just returned from a cruise where one port had 3 choices for the included excursion. The one we wanted was sold out before DVs had a chance. We put our cabin on the wait list, as did others - and a second group was established. I’m fairly sure the same goes for non-included excursions.

1 minute ago, Squawkman said:

We just returned from a cruise where one port had 3 choices for the included excursion. The one we wanted was sold out before DVs had a chance. We put our cabin on the wait list, as did others - and a second group was established. I’m fairly sure the same goes for non-included excursions.

Thank you for the info!  I know that, for included excursions, Viking is contractually obligated to provide you with one per port, so if they ran out, they'll have to somehow make it work once your aboard.  I'm just not sure if they'd do that for non-included ones 😕

Our upcoming sailing had a major itinerary change due to the situation in Israel (we have 1 day in Ashdod and 2 in Haifa), and the rollout of the updated excursion was a major fiasco.  A lot of people were locked out from booking the new excursions, and many of the "good/interesting" non-included ones were sold-out before they fixed the issue.

LOL  Viking literally just did this after I posted.  There's now a new (and almost identical except for the "free time" after lunch) tour offered for Limassol.  It wasn't there when I check MVJ less than 2 hours ago.

Screenshot 2023-10-30 10.41.05 AM.png

54 minutes ago, Reaniel said:

As stated by others, this can happen, but not always.

It totally depends of the tour operators and their ability to provide the resources to conduction additional tour times/slots.  We have seen Viking offer additional slots for non-included optional tours - that means they were able to show the tour operator there was demand the the operator was able to put it together.  That is why adding yourself to any wait list is important.

Have also seen and heard where there simply is no ability to add an additional time.  An example is the Alhambra in Spain.  The place itself restricts the number of operators and people that can visit, so neither Viking nor tour operators have control over that.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Crestawave said:

Is that something that you do once aboard or is that something you can do pre cruise?

Only once you’re aboard. Also note, in the example I gave previously, Viking did meet their obligation as we did have a free excursion booked before embarkation - but it wasn’t our preferred free one. 

• Thanks 2

On 10/29/2023 at 4:25 PM, Crestawave said:

All sorted.

One of the three non inclusive excursions we tried to book must have sold out whilst it was in our basket but the only way to find this out was to login on a different device otherwise I'd have waiting all night for the original screen to update.

As far as the trip we missed out on is it a matter of if there's enough interest ie people on a reserve list, Viking will book some more spaces or is it taking a chance on someone dropping out ?

Just tried to book Manfredis for a couple of evenings but all reservations taken before the 7pm GMT opening booking time. Looks like an upgraded cabin might be the way forward if we enjoy our first Viking cruise..

Or, do as we did and call Viking.  Sometimes they can find you a table for 2, or they will ask if you mind being seated with others.  We chose to be seated at a table for 8 and got our preferred 6PM seating and had a wonderful time talking with the other couples.☺️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crestawave said:

Just tried to book Manfredis for a couple of evenings but all reservations taken before the 7pm GMT opening booking time. Looks like an upgraded cabin might be the way forward if we enjoy our first Viking cruise..

JMO, Manfredi's is good, but not it's not worth upgrading your cabin.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, millybess said:

JMO, Manfredi's is good, but not it's not worth upgrading your cabin.  

Just wait until you are on the ship and on Day 1 go to the Restaurant (this place may have changed) and book the special restaurants. There are always more reservations available once you are on board the ship.

• Thanks 1

Just now, janetcbl said:

Just wait until you are on the ship and on Day 1 go to the Restaurant (this place may have changed) and book the special restaurants. There are always more reservations available once you are on board the ship.

You are exactly right and that is very good advice for @Crestawave

59 minutes ago, Crestawave said:

Looks like we'll be spending a lot of Day 1 attempting to book trips and restaurants that we was hoping to have in place before we sailed.

It’s really pretty easy.  I doubt stopping at the restaurant desk and the customer service desk both would take more than 30 minutes.  Sometimes there is a line, but still, I always seem to need to visit both places the first day, to make changes or to add things, and I’ve certainly never spent an hour.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

It’s really pretty easy.  I doubt stopping at the restaurant desk and the customer service desk both would take more than 30 minutes.

We also make that stop to ask about and sign up for wine and spirit tastings. 🍷🥃

• Like 2

Looks like we'll be spending a lot of Day 1 attempting to book trips and restaurants that we was hoping to have in place before we sailed.

You can also usually make reservations in the app or on your stateroom TV once onboard.  Those devices also allow you to see all menus at all venues so you don't miss a special dish (Chilean Sea Bass for us) in the Restaurant. We never bother with dining reservations until we are onboard. 

Edited by Clay Clayton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

They have a reservation desk at the entrance to the World Cafe on the port side. They man the desk when the Cafe is open.

Actually, it won't take as much of your time as you might think. If you are booking shore excursions at Guest Services on deck 1, they can make dining reservations at the same time.

I would place a higher priority on getting the shore excursions you want, as availability is often based on what Viking's contractors can provide. Specialty dining reservations are not difficult to obtain.

Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AZ_Tim said:

I would place a higher priority on getting the shore excursions you want, as availability is often based on what Viking's contractors can provide. 

We managed to get 2 of the 3 we really wanted online, hopefully the other one will be avaiable once aboard.