From Roma Termina to Civitavecchia by train

HappyInVan

Hi,

First time transferring from Rome to Civitavecchia. I can take the train from the Termina station to Civitavecchia. Apparently, there's a public bus from the Civitavecchia station to the cruise terminal. Has anyone had any experience?

I have light luggage and am mobile. Just wondered if there are any issues. Do I need to pay for the bus ride?

Thanks.

From memory (dangerous, I know!) its pretty straightforward. Walk from the station west towards the port...its only about 1/2 a mile. At the SW corner of the fortress is the Port Shuttle bus stop which will take you along the harbour wall to your ship. It was free when we did it several years ago, but I don't know if thats changed.

Simon

• Thanks 1

There is a long post at the top of this forum with a lot of details on taking the train. Options and pick-up/drop-offs have changed in the last couple of years, so I would confirm with those who are up-to-date on all of the options, including the benefits of taking one of the less-frequent trains with reserved seating and fewer stops and the ability to book both your train and bus ticket online.

• Thanks 1

There are, local (regionale), intercity (IC) and fast (Frecce) trains between Rome Termini and Civitavecchia every day.

The regionale are the least expensive (4,60 euro) and most frequent trains, but they do not offer reserved seats, so it's a free-for-fall when you get on, and they leave from the Lazio auxilliary tracks three blocks from the main track head at Termini in Rome.  They take longer to make the trip, between 60 - 123 minutes, and make several stops along the way (up to 12).

IC trains are the most uncommon, only a couple each day.  They are more expensive (11,50 last minute fare), offer assigned seats, and usually make only one stop en route.  They depart from the main track head at Termini.

Finally there are the Frecce trains.  There are not many each day but they depart from the main track head, offer assigned seats, have more room for luggage, and make no stops between Termini and Civitavecchia.  This is the most expensive option at 16,00 euro (base fare in second class) but you can get a better price by purchasing in advance.

Only Trenitalia serves this route:  EN - Trenitalia

In all cases, if you choose Civitavecchia Porto as your destination you'll get a ticket for the bus (6 euro) from the Civitavecchia station to the port in addition to the train ticket.

• Thanks 1

Getting the train from Termini in Rome to Civitavecchia is really easy and inexpensive. We usually get a train later in the morning so that it is not crowded. Cost in 2022 was €4.60 each. When arriving in Civitavecchia the shuttle to the ships are right outside the station and cost €6.00 each this year. If you are paying on the bus you pay in cash. There are different shuttles for the different ships so check the sign on the bus or ask the driver to make sure you are going to the correct ship. If your ship is docked close to the port entrance you could walk if you don't mind dealing with your luggage.

2 hours ago, PurpleTraveller said:

Getting the train from Termini in Rome to Civitavecchia is really easy and inexpensive. We usually get a train later in the morning so that it is not crowded. Cost in 2022 was €4.60 each. When arriving in Civitavecchia the shuttle to the ships are right outside the station and cost €6.00 each this year. If you are paying on the bus you pay in cash. There are different shuttles for the different ships so check the sign on the bus or ask the driver to make sure you are going to the correct ship. If your ship is docked close to the port entrance you could walk if you don't mind dealing with your luggage.

This was exactly my experience in May 2023 exactly.  I paid a little more for a reserved seat on a Freccia train.  I walked out of the Civitavecchia station and caught the €6.00 cash shuttle bus directly to my ship.  Very easy and low stress. 

Thanks for all your help. This anchored thread has a lot of info. Thanks to eurocruiser.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2848357-civitavecchia-port-rome-by-train-2023-your-questions-answered-here/

From my further research, the CIVITAVECCHIA Express only runs to November 1st. So, I'm taking the FrecciaBianca 8616 at 11:57am from Termini. It's much more expensive than the local train, but I figure that it will be worth it to arrive in CIVITAVECCHIA in good shape.

The only question is whether the paid special shuttle (PortLink) drops us at our ship. Or, drops us at the Largo della Pace shuttle exchange. Looks like we will have to change shuttles at Largo della Pace on November 26, because they'll drop us at the cruise terminal.

BTW, the FrecciaBianca fare allows us to reserve a seat. Looks like there's still a lot of empty seats in First and Second Class for this date.

Note: On Nov 26th, the travel time has increased by over half an hour for the local train.

Trenitalia Civitavecchia.jpg

Edited by HappyInVan

I think the increase in travel time is simply allowing for the bus connection to the port, if you look at ust the train schedule there is no change.

The 6 euro Port Shuttle connection goes to the ship if in the outlying berths (#25), otherwise it goes to the cruise ship terminal.  It does not drop at Largo della Pace.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

I think the increase in travel time is simply allowing for the bus connection to the port, if you look at ust the train schedule there is no change.

The 6 euro Port Shuttle connection goes to the ship if in the outlying berths (#25), otherwise it goes to the cruise ship terminal.  It does not drop at Largo della Pace.

Thanks. That makes sense since the price reflects the Portlink segment.

I'll give an update after embarkation. 

5 hours ago, camjake said:

https://www.civitavecchiaport.org/from-civitavecchia-train-station-to-the-port/

The port has a website with detailed information that I hope will be helpful for you. I have been researching this myself for an upcoming cruise. I hope it helps and that you have a wonderful time.

Thanks, I think there's some confusion because the port runs three services into and within the port.

There's the paid Euro 6 shuttle from the train station that should go straight to the appropriate cruise terminal. There's the Public Service Bus (CSP) to Largo della Pace, where you need to transfer to the port's cruise shuttle bus.

Then, there's the ordinary shuttle service that runs around the port, and stops at Largo della Pace twice per circuit.

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/shuttles

At this time, I don't know which pier my ship will be assigned. Therefore, I don't know which cruise terminal I need to go to. There's the new Amerigo Vespucci Terminal which handles pier 10-13. There's the terminal for pier 25. I was confused earlier because Google map identified the Roma Cruise Terminal as the one in the old port near Largo della Pace, and far from piers 10-13.

https://civitavecchia.portmobility.it/en/rct-cruise-terminal-port-civitavecchia

My view is that its best to pay 6 Euro and be driven straight to the right terminal. I suppose that it is possible to walk from the train station to the shuttle stop (Molo del Bicchiere) near McDonalds restaurant, if the ship docks at the Amerigo Vespucci Terminal. However, I have no experience with this route.

nuova_mappa_sito_09_09_21_1631517703.pdf

Edited by HappyInVan