Antarctica

Electra 7

No question in my mind - add Antartica if you are already that far down the South American continent.

We loved doing this route both ways, but the addition of Antartica was the best one of all. Be very aware of the limitations now placed on "Antartica" offerings. However, it remains a very, very special bonus. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Other Tom said:

It's my understanding you don't actually get to set foot on the continent.  Is that correct?  I think it's scenic sailing.  

That is my understanding also and we were wondering how scenic it would be if weather was bad or misty

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Electra 7 said:

That is my understanding also and we were wondering how scenic it would be if weather was bad or misty

There are no guarantees as far as Antarctica is concerned. Bad weather has kept ships from crossing the Drake Passage. High seas delayed us, we skipped a stop and never saw sunshine in Antarctica, still an amazing experience. We are considering a return trip.

I would encourage you to comparison shop, see if you can physically and financially handle a ship with landings in Antarctica.

• Like 2

HAL ships do not meet Polar specs to do excursions or get close to the continent like other excursion ships can (i.e. Viking).  The weather can change but even in rain, clouds, sun or whatever, it's a nice experience. We had 1 full day of rain, fog, clouds and sun and all were spectacular and unique. Just to see a contrast between here, Alaska, Greenland (landscape and fauna) is worthy. 

• Like 1

We did this in 2019 and it was a great experience. While you do not "set foot" on Antarctica,  you will not regret doing it. We happened to have great weather, the Captain said it was some of the best h he had experienced there, so saw lots of wildlife, ice bergs, etc.

Do it!

• Like 2

Bucket list trip so do it!  Yes, you will have to cross the Drake shake or the Drake lake.  Our crossing was somewhere between.  You will never forget this trip, and you are already so far south and you may never be there again.  It was amazing.  It was cold and cloudy and we saw so much wildlife without stepping a foot onto ice/land.  Right in front of us on the side of the ship we saw the bubble net feeding by the whales.  The size of the ice is difficult to comprehend unless you see it for yourself.  One aspect we really enjoyed was having a group of people come out from one of the scientific research stations.  People were standing on the side of the promenade watching them come in a boat like a dinghy.  When they left, everyone waved them off and it was a great time.  They did a number of talks on the world stage.  For me, the highlights were:  seeing the huge ice blocks, all of the whales, penguins, seals and birds, and the scientific research group.  If you go, have a decent camera, binoculars and very warm clothes so that you can spend a lot of time on the promenade deck.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We've done it twice and are considering doing it again.  We've had all sorts of weather from sunshine to rain and even snow.  It's awesome!  We love the ports in Chile and Argentina too.  Falkland Islands are great.

• Like 2

We did the 22 day from Santiago to Buenos Aires in Jan 2020, just before the world shut down.  It was an amazing experience even without walking on the continent.  Unbelievably beautiful vistas and lots of whales, seals, and penguins.  It was our longest cruise up to that time, and now we try to choose itineraries that are at least 22 days.  We had a great time and formed friendships that has resulted in booking cruises with people we met on our Antarctica cruise.  Do it!

• Like 1

We have done it twice and both times were amazing.  We were on the Zaandam in 2017 and the Oosterdam in January of this year.  They were very different experiences because the scenery is always changing with the weather and the ice. You don't need to set foot on the continent to appreciate the experience.

• Like 1

It is going to be truly unforgettable any way you do it !   IF (as mentioned by others) you have the financial and physical means to do a more strenuous (and more $$$) trip you should consider that 

however,  no matter which way you experience Antarctica, you will not be disappointed.  There is no where else on the planet to have that experience.

short story:  do it!   You will be SO glad you did

• Like 1

If you are going to travel all the way to South America, there is every reason to add in Antarctica to the trip. You will NOT be sorry. 

If you have to cross the Drake Shake to get there (or back), you will recover. But you will never forget the majesty of sailing in those waters. The air is so fresh it even tastes good to breathe. The quiet is deafening; impressive. The icebergs are beyond amazing, especially the ones that are high, flat, and long. They are HUGE, but even then seem smaller than they actually are. 

The Captain and Antarctic team will have many plans for where they will attempt to sail on any given day, and they will make every effort to find the smoothest seas, and best weather. But this part of the world is worth seeing no matter what the weather is like. 

One time, I saw a sailboat coming out of the Lemeire Channel in a mist. Ethereal is the only word to describe it. 
But each time down there is different. But special in its own way. I have done that cruise three times and am getting excited all over again just typing about it.  

• Like 3

Antartica was the best experience we have ever had.  The wildlife is incredible and everywhere you look.  Whales jumping, penguins jumping, seals on the icebergs....it's difficult to describe it accurately.  We were lucky to have Drake Lake both ways and sunny weather, but I would have enjoyed it either way.   It's scenic cruising only but you're so close to land that it feels like you are THERE.  I didn't need to step through the penguin poop to feel like I had experienced it all.   Like a previous poster mentioned, take good quality binoculars (recommend Nikon Monarch 5) and good camera with telephoto lens.  I'd love to do it again.  

• Like 1

We did it last year and it was truly the trip of a lifetime.  We absolutely loved every minute of it.  We didn't get to stop in the Falklands due to weather but I was so happy that our Drake Passage crossing was good and once we arrived in Antarctica we were lucky to have amazing weather.  The weather was so nice on Jan 1st that we were outside with just a sweatshirt and I got a little bit of a sunburn (nothing significant).  It seemed funny because back home that same day it was -30 degrees.  The magnitude of the ice and beauty is indescribable.  I do love Alaska but Antarctica was just a very different landscape and the vast ice is breath taking.  We saw tremendous amounts of wildlife and honestly the adorable penguins leaping out of the water as they swim by is just too cute.  The crew on the Oosterdam was wonderful and honestly we would do this trip again in a heartbeat but we have a couple of other places we want to check off the bucket list first.

Antarctica 10.jpg

• Like 4

For those that have taken this cruise, do you recommend springing for a balcony (I usually do interiors)? I've been eyeing the Jan 7th 2024 cruise but been hesitant to jump on it as worried about the Drake Passage crossing as I don't do well with rough seas. But I can only imagine it would be worth it. 

20 minutes ago, cwd79 said:

For those that have taken this cruise, do you recommend springing for a balcony (I usually do interiors)? I've been eyeing the Jan 7th 2024 cruise but been hesitant to jump on it as worried about the Drake Passage crossing as I don't do well with rough seas. But I can only imagine it would be worth it. 

I did all three of my cruises there in an inside cabin. There is nothing like being outside as much as possible while down there. Things are going on all around you, and you can move from side to side easily. 
Not only that, on my first cruise down there, there was a very strong wind on port side, making it bitter cold. A chill to the bone cold (I was wearing my heaviest winter jacket, with hood, too). Easy enough to head over to starboard. Can't change your balcony's side! 

I would rather put the money I would spend on a balcony into upgraded airfare. They are long flights! 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, cwd79 said:

We are on the January 7, 2024 cruise, and so looking forward to it.  We researched cruises, like Viking, that have zodiacs and other craft to put into the water.  We decided that we wanted to see more of South America on this trip. There was also a comment re ships that put passengers into small craft in an area will stay there for a long time because there is more than one excursion..  HAL ships do not launch small craft and it is easier to move and see more spots.  After our first trip in January we may do a more up close and personal trip but we'll see.  Also, weather seemed to really effect small craft being put into the water.  As has been said, the Drake Passage can be a lake or hold onto your hats.  We're really looking forward to the January 7th cruise and know that we just need to accept what Mother Nature sends us.  Hope you'll join the cruise.  Cherie

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cwd79 said:

We cruised on the "beautiful and elegant" Oosterdam (as the captain announced every day) in February this year. One of my favorite memories was standing in my cabin and having my husband spot wildlife from the door to the veranda. We kept running in and out on the balcony with our binoculars. I'm so glad we had a balcony!  I echo the comments of everyone that it is an unforgettable place to visit because of the vistas, the ocean and the wildlife. The trip we took had 4 enrichment speakers and that was wonderful as well. My husband is prone to seasickness so we booked a mid ship cabin on deck 5 and that helped a lot on the one day we had rough seas. Our cruise had the Drake "lake" but we had to miss the Falkland Islands because of sea conditions. 

• Like 1

Loved reading the prior reports of happy "sail by" Antarctica passengers. Me too. We did not feel we missed anything not landing either. Other than not actually landing, boots on the ground.  It was just extraordinary anyway, as so many others have described so well.

I am so glad HAL gave those of us the option to see this continent even as a sail-by, when the other options that provide landings can be so pricey. Thank you HAL, for continuing to get us down there too.

We had an easy Drake passage too. But if not, I assume I would just take to bed, take my Bonine and order in chicken soup, crackers and green apples.

• Like 1

It sounds amazing thanks for all the positive reviews think we are sold on it 

Flights are very expensive from Scotland so we cannot even consider balcony but not a problem as my Husband will be bouncing from one side of ship to the other binoculars and camera round his neck and telescope beside him as he was our Alaska  cruise and our Greenland cruise 

• Like 2