air fare

azgrandmax3

If you're talking 'domestic' cruising (like from Miami) then most folks will book their own airline tickets. There are multiple issues associated with 'cruise air' that would have many (most) seasoned cruisers steering you away from that option.  The explanation is a bit complicated so I won't go into it here.  Suffice it to say that they have the option to move you onto an incredibly inconvenient schedule. It's NOT like a regular plane ticket at all.

• Like 5

21 hours ago, azgrandmax3 said:

Is there a way I can check available air for a cruise before I book a cruise?

Looks like you are in AZ, where are you trying to get to for embarkation?  Sky Harbor has great flight options, Mesa is home to Allegiant which I probably would not choose for a cruise, but the price could be compelling. 

As others have said, a lot of people will not encourage you to use airfare through the cruiseline, rarely is it less expensive and the largest downside is you are on their time table for departures not your own.

Its good to do your research, depending on the size of your party, airfare can add a significant cost to your vacation - as a midwesterner I'm a 13 hour drive to my closest port so we often fly and it adds up quickly

15 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Just go to Google Flights and compare options

Just keep in mind that the fares change often.  I have Google tracking a flight to FLL and I get an email of a changed fare almost every day. And that's for the same flight on the same airline.

6 hours ago, ericosmith said:

Just keep in mind that the fares change often.  I have Google tracking a flight to FLL and I get an email of a changed fare almost every day. And that's for the same flight on the same airline.

True this, but we use Google Flights as the starting point to every air search that we do.  

We also note that some airlines may not fly the route that we are looking for on a particular day of the week, so if you are not happy with the airlines that Google Flights is returning, and you have flexibility with your dates, you can move the dates a day or two and see different airlines.

This is also a great way to see the price jump from one airline to another as you go down the list and also the total travel time that you have to deal with.

All in all, we see Google Flights like visiting a buffet for the airlines and fares.  Your search results let you look at all the options and they are NOT a travel site trying to get you to book.  

We find our routes and then go to the airline site to book directly.

Google does give you options when you select flights on booking, but we have found that when we have started the booking process with options other than direct with the airline there can be new challenges like you cannot select your seats, etc.

On 10/30/2023 at 1:15 PM, azgrandmax3 said:

Is air cheaper on the carnival site? and can I choose my flight?

Thank You 

The answers are maybe and maybe.  Beware though- just because Carnival sells you a ticket for the same flight you could book on your own, it doesn't mean the ticket is the same.  There will likely be different rules and restrictions attached to that ticket.  They may not be obvious, and the need to understand them may never arise.  But if things go south on the day of travel?  That's when those pesky rules and restrictions often come into play.

• Like 1