QM2 World cruise - Lisbon cancelled.

Zeg

The itinerary for Queen Mary 2 World Cruise has suddenly been changed in that the programmed call at Lisbon on 14 January 2024 will no longer be made. 

No goodwill gesture offered. 🤷🏼‍♂️

1 hour ago, Zeg said:

The itinerary for Queen Mary 2 World Cruise has suddenly been changed in that the programmed call at Lisbon on 14 January 2024 will no longer be made. 

Nothing new on a World Cruise, I expect before the completion of your WC voyage you'll experience a couple of other port changes/cancelations .  Join the Club.   

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zeg said:

What would you expect?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Nothing new on a World Cruise, I expect before the completion of your WC voyage you'll experience a couple of other port changes/cancelations .  Join the Club.   

Joined the Cancelled Port Insurance Club a while back too!  👍

The “smaller” Cunard ships (and other sub-3,000 pax vessels) are getting iced out of popular ports in favor of the 5k++ pax mega-mall ships.  We’re seeing this with QM2 in Red Hook already. The largest ship in Cunard’s parent company Carnival is the Carnival Jubilee, only 5,300 pax. RCL and MSC may soon dominate these ports with 7k passenger monsters. I hope I’m wrong. 

• Like 1

It seems fair to mention that in exchange for losing Lisbon we’re getting an overnight in Port Elizabeth, which will allow Cunard to offer a two-day safari option - so it’s not like they took something away without offering anything back. I’d rather stop in Lisbon, but I know people who are thrilled with the change. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Patria21 said:

It seems fair to mention that in exchange for losing Lisbon we’re getting an overnight in Port Elizabeth, which will allow Cunard to offer a two-day safari option - so it’s not like they took something away without offering anything back. I’d rather stop in Lisbon, but I know people who are thrilled with the change. 

Are they adjusting the dates of any of your other cslls to allow for the extra day in Port Elizabeth?

4 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

Are they adjusting the dates of any of your other cslls to allow for the extra day in Port Elizabeth?

Yes. Tenerife and Walvis Bay both shift up a day. So Tenerife moves from the 16th to the 15th and Walvis Bay moves from the 25th to the 24th. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Patria21 said:

Good point. Can’t please all of the people all of the time.

It also allows the opportunity to arrange your own two day safari trip and an early morning game drive at the best time of the day. 

Or maybe the new Cunard one will take that in?

21 minutes ago, Zeg said:

Good point. Can’t please all of the people all of the time.

It also allows the opportunity to arrange your own two day safari trip and an early morning game drive at the best time of the day. 

Or maybe the new Cunard one will take that in?

Can recommend Addo Elephant National Park.Easy one day trip from Port Elizabeth.

1 minute ago, Host Hattie said:

But I wouldn't get your hopes up, we've had a few itinerary changes before sailing and never had obc.

Yes, I think you are right. I think it is the onboard ones that they might give you a glass for. Anyway, I assume there are very few who go on a world cruise to visit Lisbon, as opposed to Singapore or NZ or somewhere like that.

4 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Yes, I think you are right. I think it is the onboard ones that they might give you a glass for. Anyway, I assume there are very few who go on a world cruise to visit Lisbon, as opposed to Singapore or NZ or somewhere like that.

True, but remember there are sectors. Not all are doing the complete RTW voyage. 

2 minutes ago, Zeg said:

True, but remember there are sectors. Not all are doing the complete RTW voyage. 

Probably only a small proportion are doing the entire trip. Nonetheless it seems unlikely that many booked a long voyage between continents to see Lisbon, nice as it is, at any rate as far as Europeans are concerned.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NE John said:

The “smaller” Cunard ships (and other sub-3,000 pax vessels) are getting iced out of popular ports in favor of the 5k++ pax mega-mall ships.  We’re seeing this with QM2 in Red Hook already. The largest ship in Cunard’s parent company Carnival is the Carnival Jubilee, only 5,300 pax. RCL and MSC may soon dominate these ports with 7k passenger monsters. I hope I’m wrong. 

I see exactly what you mean, but find it extraordinary that QM2 is now a ‘smaller ship’. Perhaps other ports in places that complain about too many cruise passengers will favour the medium and small ships.

• Like 2