Cruise Critic Member for years - this site is very hard to search on now…..

Guest debbiejohncruise

Guest debbiejohncruise

We have always been part of Cruise Critic forums for years but the site is very hard to use now……we used to be able to search for info by typing in what we were looking for and now we always get “not found”. Anyone else have the same issues?

Sorry to hear this, but so far, I'm finding no problems . I know that currently there's a warning about members being unable to update/change their email. Maybe too, when you were/are using the site, updates were being made. For a free site, I'm not complaining. 

What platform are you using CC on? If on a desktop, you want the white search oval on the blue bar below your user name. If you hover over the right portion of the oval you will see "this topic" and a down arrow show up. If you click on the down arrow you will find other options to limit your search.

13 hours ago, debbiejohncruise said:

We have always been part of Cruise Critic forums for years but the site is very hard to use now……we used to be able to search for info by typing in what we were looking for and now we always get “not found”. Anyone else have the same issues?

Hello @debbiejohncruise

IIRC for tablets, phones & iPads, they need to be held in landscape orientation to see the Search feature.

If using a laptop or desktop, be sure you have used the correct location in the drop-down menu for your search. Here is a clip of my choices:

image.thumb.png.30c85fe58d86fd9b30e826a369c8f630.png

And sometimes you need to enter multiple words surrounded by quotation marks - like, "Miami hotels" - you will get different results than if you entered just the two words. This is because quotation marks are used for phrase searching. That way your results will just be posts containing the phrase "Miami hotels" and not ALL the posts containing the word Miami as well as ALL the posts containing the word hotels.

Also, I know you know what you are looking for... but sometimes I try to think in the way someone else would have posted the information. Then use word phrases with quotation marks as mentioned above. 

And when you see the list of results, the first thing I do is to change the SORT BY from Relevancy to Date so the newer results will be at the top of the list. Here is another clip.

image.png.e5cddaa482460a2c3bd82b16d63520e0.png

Hope this will be helpful!

Host Kat

Sorry @debbiejohncruise, I don't know why you get 0 results. I have some ideas on why you could get too many results or not relevant results but not 0. Host Kat's tip of using quotes to search for a phrase is excellent. But without quotes you would get more results not less. 

As @gnome12 and @Host Kat point out, if on a desktop there is a drop down next to the search input box. That drop down can narrow the search to This Topic (aka. the thread you are currently viewing), this Forum, etc. After the search and the results displayed there will be a small button to select more search options titled Content Search if wanted:

image.thumb.png.e35b8f1685ad25c40b7300307f56a34b.png

I am showing this because this "Content Search" is what I get on my tablet (vertical and horizontal display) only and NO drop down to be able to select the range first. Consequently, I get results from all of CC which has little use to me. So if I want to do a search I must use my desktop.

I never browse CC on my mobile so cannot comment on the options on that device. Maybe on your device you will see the drop down to choose the areas to search or maybe not. Just mentioning this to set the expectation that CC operates a little differently on different devices (and orientations) 

image.png.91c85d71d46aedcf4a1eb4989708b46d.png

Guest debbiejohncruise
On 10/31/2023 at 9:08 PM, Host Kat said:

Hello @debbiejohncruise

IIRC for tablets, phones & iPads, they need to be held in landscape orientation to see the Search feature.

If using a laptop or desktop, be sure you have used the correct location in the drop-down menu for your search. Here is a clip of my choices:

image.thumb.png.30c85fe58d86fd9b30e826a369c8f630.png

And sometimes you need to enter multiple words surrounded by quotation marks - like, "Miami hotels" - you will get different results than if you entered just the two words. This is because quotation marks are used for phrase searching. That way your results will just be posts containing the phrase "Miami hotels" and not ALL the posts containing the word Miami as well as ALL the posts containing the word hotels.

Also, I know you know what you are looking for... but sometimes I try to think in the way someone else would have posted the information. Then use word phrases with quotation marks as mentioned above. 

And when you see the list of results, the first thing I do is to change the SORT BY from Relevancy to Date so the newer results will be at the top of the list. Here is another clip.

image.png.e5cddaa482460a2c3bd82b16d63520e0.png

Hope this will be helpful!

Host Kat

Thanks for the help Kat. 

4 hours ago, YoHoHo said:

I never browse CC on my mobile so cannot comment on the options on that device....

@YoHoHo

I have just a laptop so I cannot help with mobile phones. Perhaps something in the following oldie but goodie threads from this forum will be helpful:

No search this forum on mobile?

Search on "this forum" on mobile?

4 minutes ago, YoHoHo said:

You perfectly used the Search feature to search on how to search. Excellent IRL post, @Host Kat

(and I see that maybe I can get to Topics within the Content Type so can indeed narrow down to a thread or forum. If that works on my tablet it would be excellent.)

@YoHoHo

Thanks, and be sure to let this thread know!

• Like 1