Documents Needed?

DDL4056

Documents needed from NY-Bahamas-NY. We didn't book yet and want to make sure we understand the rules for travel. Firstly, we have a couple in the process of name changing (marriage) and getting a passport. When making reservations in the current names can we adjust the name once they get their name changed? Second issue is we have my son's girlfriend who is from South Africa who is a permanent resident but hasn't gotten her green card yet. What documents would MSC require from her? Lastly, we are looking at booking NY-Orlando - Ocean Cay- Bahamas. With Ocean Cay set to open the day before our planned arrival we are aware that they may change port to Bermuda. Does Bermuda have different regulations that we should be prepared for? Sorry, so long and winded, but after all day figuring out where and when to go with 10 adults and 3 children for our 45th Anniversary, these questions have come up. Plan B.....go ourselves and book the Yacht Club will all the extra money.  TIA Diane

As for the couple getting married, I would not do a name change until after the cruise.  Passports are taking several months and if it did come before the cruise, the name could be changed on the booking to match.  Otherwise they can sail that itinerary with BC and DL or other government issued photo ID.  I don’t know what to say about the GF.  Has she been approved but the card hasn’t arrived yet?  When does her temporary expire?  She should also travel with her South Africa passport…. You do not need a passport to cruise to Bermuda.  They are part of the WHTI.  EM

Our trip is 5/19/24, so I think the passport couple should be ok.  The girlfriend has been here as a permanent resident for a long time, but when she went back to South Africa to her grandmother's funeral in 2019 they restarted the time for her green card.  So she can't get it till 2029, when she could have gotten a long time ago, but that trip in 2019 messed her time up.  She doesn't have a valid South Africa passport.  A shame such a nice girl came her as an Aupair when she was 19, went to college, has a great job and spent tons of money on lawyers to get this green card.  She is now 30 still trying to do the right thing.  Anyway, if this doesn't work out, wondering what else we can do as a group with her status.  So looking forward to a cruise.  Thanks for listening....

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/manage-booking/before-you-go/travel-documents-visas

The sailing region boxes at the top and middle of the page are good for non-US travelers,  the FAQ section at the bottom of the page has a section "IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR USA CITIZENS, U.S. RESIDENTS AND CANADIAN CITIZENS" that covers those with resident visa or naturalization certificate. 

• Thanks 1

Cruise in your maiden name, your birth certificate and ID in that name are fine. 

If you have ID in your new name you need a bridging document like the marriage license to show the name change and match the birth certificate. 

Passports take a long time and you have to send in your birth certificate so I would stick without the passport as long as you know all the warning people will remind you about not flying without a passport in case of an emergency. 

Permanent resident w/o a green card issue, you need an official answer from MSC, the US Government, and the countries you are visiting. 

• Thanks 1

MSC told us to contact the NYS Customs to get a determination.  Sent an email and won't hear back for 7-10 days. I'm going to see if in the meantime she can renew her passport, which I'm sure is another debacle.  Thanks!

Oh my, with all that's been going on with documentation challenges impacting boarding, I would certainly check with MSC a few times as well as a really good travel agent as you work through everyone getting the documentation they need. Good luck. Hope it works out. 

On 10/31/2023 at 4:51 PM, DDL4056 said:

The girlfriend has been here as a permanent resident for a long time, but when she went back to South Africa to her grandmother's funeral in 2019 they restarted the time for her green card.  So she can't get it till 2029, when she could have gotten a long time ago, but that trip in 2019 messed her time up. 

I assume that this trip does not present any similar risk to her green card situation?

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 12:51 PM, DDL4056 said:

The girlfriend has been here as a permanent resident for a long time, but when she went back to South Africa to her grandmother's funeral in 2019 they restarted the time for her green card. So she can't get it till 2029, when she could have gotten a long time ago, but that trip in 2019 messed her time up.  She doesn't have a valid South Africa passport.  A shame such a nice girl came her as an Aupair when she was 19, went to college, has a great job and spent tons of money on lawyers to get this green card.

it doesn't make ANY SENSE. Zero. Nada. Not at all. Unless she isn't actually a permanent resident (aka, green card holder), especially since the last sentence says that she is still trying to get a green card. What category did she get her permanent residency under?

There is no such thing as "restarting the time for a green card" unless a permanent resident leaves the US for a long time, loses their permanent resident status, obtains it again and THAT restarts the time as a permanent resident.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

Well maybe i misunderstood what she explained to me.  But, something happened when she went back to South Africa in 2019.  Maybe she stayed to long and all I know is she can’t get her green card till 2029.  In the meantime she works, when to college and has lived here for about 10 years already.

Even though I know you said it lightly, getting married to a US citizen does not change the situation quickly. Still have to go thru same green card approval process and it is not necessarily fast.  Keep all kinds of documentation (receipts) of any wedding celebration, photos past and present of the couple, cards received, etc. I speak from personal family experience. 

The best short-term solution is a passport from her actual country of birth. 

All best wishes. ☘️

• Thanks 1