Crossing the Globe (Kind of) - A Pr1ma (Hopefully) Live'ish Adventure, 11/20 - 12/1

cruiseny4life

I am so thankful to be doing a west to east Transatlantic! The booze is keeping me awake as my sober husband snores away. One more hour of sleep tonight! 

Also, I am so grateful to have this opportunity. I need to go outside to say a little prayer of gratitude soon. What a privilege, well- lived life I lead. I reflect on this often as my parents and grandparents were not so fortunate in life, in love, or in adventure. It's good to be self-aware of your privilege and check it every so often (says the Haven cruiser). 

You all be well this evening! 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Food Republic night!

Others were allowed to share a dining credit. We chose not to share as we wanted a full meal here. 

Great minds think alike!

I shared a dining credit with a friend tonight at Food Republic on the Viva. We ordered the Volcano Roll, Tiger Roll, Pot Stickers and Pork Belly Bao. All delicious. 

• Like 5

17 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'm really not sure why the chef insists on serving the full Shrimp Louie when a shrimp cocktail is ordered.

could be a wonky POS system. shrimp cocktail is not on the menu. shrimp louie is. when you order shrimp louie, you can double and triple and quadruple up on the shrimp. but you - technically - cant order a shrimp cocktail. but every food item has to be accounted for in some way.

similarly, it could be a filipino thing. the filipinos, whom i adore and with whom i have worked for decades, play strictly by the rules. they are great in the hospitality industry because they do everything exactly as they are supposed to... they follow the manual, the handbook... they play by the rules!  you want a shrimp cocktail, but there is no shrimp cocktail. they are extraordinarily customer-service oriented, so they have to figure out a way to get you one, while coloring within the lines and playing by the rules.

that's my take, anyway.

11 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

This morning before the meet and greet we stopped at Hudsons to check out the beautiful dining room.

it truly is stunning with sensational wraparound views. and it's the only cruise ship MDR i know that has chandeliers inspired by spatulas found in liberace's kitchen.

10 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I feel bad about not liking Donna.

curiously, this is exactly what helmuth sommer said.

(if you had watched the show, you'd think this was hilarious. actually, i don't blame you. the show is awful. talented cast, but awful show. i stayed for the whole thing, though. you missed the theatre's transformation to a disco, which they do as a sorta kinda show, after the show.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Word at the Haven bar is it's rocky and a lot of ginger has been requested. I barely notice the ship rocking. 

Curious how the weather has been for you as I just saw a video on the Prima FB page of the thermal spa. It has become a wave pool apparently ....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

Curious how the weather has been for you as I just saw a video on the Prima FB page of the thermal spa. It has become a wave pool apparently ....

I saw that too! The Haven pool was bouncing around pretty good as well. They did close the main pool early last evening. Honesty, I feel the motion every so often, but I dont notice most of the time. 

Many at the bar were saying how the "boat is rocking." Due to that they were ordering ginger ale and a few even requested apples. Others said the kitchen would run low with all the ginger they were eating. 

So, I guess it's rocking more than normal, but no barf bags out or worried looking crew. I'm also curious why I don't even notice what's happening - and it ain't the drink package though I am using it this morning! 

Weather is clear skies and a beautiful sea as we approach Ponta Delgada. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, UKstages said:

could be a wonky POS system. shrimp cocktail is not on the menu. shrimp louie is. when you order shrimp louie, you can double and triple and quadruple up on the shrimp. but you - technically - cant order a shrimp cocktail. but every food item has to be accounted for in some way

Definitely makes sense now that they are using iPad at the tables to take orders! I'm sure the system forces them to select the item. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, UKstages said:

truly is stunning with sensational wraparound views. and it's the only cruise ship MDR i know that has chandeliers inspired by spatulas found in liberace's kitchen.

I'll have to take a look at those spatulas next time I'm down there.

9 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

I am so thankful to be doing a west to east Transatlantic  ...  gateful to have this opportunity. I need ... to say a little prayer of gratitude

Happy Thanksgiving 🦃 we missed our deck's Latitudes reception yesterday and might crash the one this afternoon instead, nobody going to check our deck # regardless ... Maybe we'll run into each other upstairs as we have been too busy to visit the OL yet, still got 7 more days & nights onboard 😁

Are you sure we are going west to east with the ship on a 270'ish course heading.  I think we are on a westbound TA. But, it's a crossing and do start thinking of the next one for 2024 🤓

Henry

• Like 2

Just now, mking8288 said:

Happy Thanksgiving 🦃 we missed our deck's Latitudes reception yesterday and might crash the one this afternoon instead, nobody going to check our deck # regardless ... Maybe we'll run into each other upstairs as we have been too busy to visit the OL yet, still got 7 more days & nights onboard 😁

Are you sure we are going west to east with the ship on a 270'ish course heading.  I think we are on a westbound TA. But, it's a crossing and do start thinking of the next one for 2024 🤓

Henry

Judging by the captain's reception, you won't be missing a lot. Just a long line, pass by the captain as he says hi, grab a drink and sneak out the back way as you're bored and want real food. But, I'm not one for fancy as those upstairs can attest to. I do know a fish knife from a dessert knife though haha

I was just testing you on the west to east haha.... nah, I'm just a dummie! I do remember my old orienteering days from Boy Scouts though, so at least I know what a heading of 270 degrees is. 

We are westbound yall! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have no fancy tools to gauge this, but based on the amount of time it took to upload those spa photos, the internet is considerable slower than earlier in the cruise. I suppose to be expected given were truly in the middle of the deep blue sea and everyone is likely trying to access the internet. Well...except for our thermal suite snoring passengers. Oh to be old and carefree!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

@Sugar Magnolia I should have believed you!  The Pr1ma thermal suite is set up so well. But why, oh why, did they put the gym over the suite? Treadmills and weights oh my!

its still quite a relaxing experience, but I'm stunned at how loud it was from above! At first I thought the soothing music had a thunder score in it, then I realized what it was. 

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for taking us along for the Haven ride!  Please corner the head chef at some point to ask about the missing hockey puck hash browns!!!  LOL.

Oh! It'll be on my post cruise survey. Methinks the chef onboard - are they actually chefs when the menu, ingredients, etc. are set my Miami - will just say blah, blah...but maybe I should go bug him! At 6 PM during the middle of service hehe

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, cruiseny4life said:

@Sugar Magnolia I should have believed you!  The Pr1ma thermal suite is set up so well. But why, oh why, did they put the gym over the suite? Treadmills and weights oh my!

its still quite a relaxing experience, but I'm stunned at how loud it was from above! At first I thought the soothing music had a thunder score in it, then I realized what it was. 

It is even worse for those getting massages or other treatments when they are expecting a quiet, serene, zen-like atmosphere to melt away their stress and then their experience is interrupting by this sudden rude thunderous boom.

• Haha 2

As live as it gets. Enjoying some Pork Vindaloo for Thanksgiving. Pork, Indian spices, tomato sauce. Yum, yum! Amazing taste. A bit tough to chew the pro, so I'm afraid more than half will be fed to the fishes.

20231123_180855.thumb.jpg.91cf65dcaaa042d810a8c21e15ffbb8c.jpg

I went slurpy slurpy with the Chinese Lanzhou just before. Mmmm, very good!

20231123_175440.thumb.jpg.c8850e27c02ee9df98798ba99153b00f.jpg

And a wee bit of brisket before that. 

20231123_175205.thumb.jpg.dafce930600d6a6c583249a11c6a940d.jpg

• Like 7

Thoughts from my drunk on a milkshake husband. The Gelato is spiked, I tell you!

20231123_181337.thumb.jpg.6a2c2313a4aa40c17b5f539ab838ab75.jpg

So, my husband would like me to explain to everyone on Cruise Critic that we need to calculate the value of the drink package based on the cost of the materials necessary. So, now I need to drink 30 or 40 drinks per day to get the best value!

• Like 1
  • Haha 12