Crossing the Globe (Kind of) - A Pr1ma (Hopefully) Live'ish Adventure, 11/20 - 12/1

cruiseny4life

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Last night @Seas2mountains, the magic number of shrimp was nine. Ther server explained it must be served as a Shrimp Louie, minus the sauce. They did give him cocktail sauce though. So, he had lots of lettuce, tomatoes, and avocado with his shrimp.

20231120_175124.thumb.jpg.a34c4246cf551af78e6a7d3d9aba845a.jpg

YUM!! Lucky guy.  I get all happy and livin’ the life when I get the standard 3 shrimp jumbo cocktail (jumbo = varying sizes)…with a mere shred of iceberg and a dollop of cocktail sauce.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, laudergayle said:

YUM!! Lucky guy.  I get all happy and livin’ the life when I get the standard 3 shrimp jumbo cocktail (jumbo = varying sizes)…with a mere shred of iceberg and a dollop of cocktail sauce.  

So, uh, um...you're not going to like last night's serving. Which is too many! I ordered 6. He ordered 13. After checking with the chef, the server confirmed that yes, any type of reasonable request is allowed. Again, I ordered six! 

We were presented with two platters of 13 shrimp each and one regular Shrimp Louie with two measly shrimp. We enjoyed and the couple next to us found out they could order more. We watched them eat their measly two shrimp Shrimp Louie. Who could only eat two? 

I only took a photo of my shrimp as I figured two photos would be redundant. 

Massive pile of 13 shrimp!

20231121_183501.thumb.jpg.245842f885f20802fde76f0ff68e1ee1.jpg

Normal Shrimp Louie 

20231121_183503.thumb.jpg.5cd1e9eb22c6c34b7794e9b712e1b9fa.jpg

And the waste left behind. I'm really not sure why the chef insists on serving the full Shrimp Louie when a shrimp cocktail is ordered.

20231121_184146.thumb.jpg.b7f92133cda7e54d50965a9f4ad113bb.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

I'm going to sound like an entitled, fat, white dude for a minute. I am sorry, but I think this is important to note. 

Before saying this, we are enjoying ourselves immensely and having plenty of food as evidenced by the shrimp posts. 

Now, here comes arrogant and entitled pr!ck. The food quality just does not quite measure up on this cruise. We didn't know cruising pre-COVID. Our five (I said entitled) Haven cruises have all been since April 2022. I've stated here I have had the literal BEST type of food in my life onboard NCL ships. Currently, I'm focused on the pork chop. Phenomenal! Amazing! Best ever is how I described it before. 

Last night, my husband made the statement that "the food is underwhelming" and not "as goo as before." I agree. After our shrimp smorgasbord, we both had the pork chop. It came with with mashed potatoes (in Haven land they're called Silky Pomme Puree).

20231121_185446.thumb.jpg.2a7d4ac93c51226eab73a3ebb59739a7.jpg

20231121_185441.thumb.jpg.692ff7b188f4db24d979eb02e3e8fec2.jpg

Anyway, the pork chop was nearly tasteless. And, it was very fatty. Fat is yummy! But not when it's 1/3rd of the chop. The evening before my husband noted the mashed taters were cold. Last night they were cold and just not good. No real taste and far too....watery. Unfortunately we didn't finish our chops or potatoes.

The food is all presented well. Service is stellar EXCEPT each meal, the server tries to upsell us on bottled water. Just fill my water glass with normal water like the previous four Haven cruises. 

I say this to say that yes, even Haven cruisers are noticing that 30% cut in food quality that NCLH is very proud to tell investors. Don't expect the same quality and service will worsen as upcharge items are offered.

This post is an observation. Not a complaint (except the water thing - that's annoying). I just want to be real with yall. 

• Like 14

Thank you for sharing the shrimp photos. I thought 13 was the magic number.  😄

That is crazy that they insist on serving it with the Shrimp Louie salad.  I’m sorry to hear about the food quality this cruise and the ongoing absence of the breakfast hash browns. I can’t say death of them as I have to hold out hope for them coming back some day. The only other big changes we noticed with the 30% cuts in food have been the change in steak quality (was filet and now is NY strip) at Teppanyaki. We no longer order the steak and shrimp but now order chicken and shrimp.  The second big change was when the buffet closed a few hours earlier which had to save a lot of $ in food waste. 

We also tend to avoid most of the production shows in the theater but loved Choir of Man. I think my husband would not want to see the Donna Summer in the theater but he’d enjoy the music if it were played by a band or duo or soloist in a smaller venue. 

Thank you for taking us along! I want to be like the ambassador couple constantly on cruises, too, but also without the crankiness and public arguments.

Lol on the pajamas family. We had a similar sighting in a hotel in Florida this week. It completely ruined our getaway - Not! Haha. 

Enjoy the rest of the cruise! 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Ohhhh Africa!  We just learned our 2025 cruise from Lisbon to Canary Islands including Agadir and Casablanca has been cancelled due to the Sun (ship) repositioning…boo hiss.  But we’ll take the 10% FC discount.

I agree with food quality comments…on the Bliss two weeks ago, everything was just okay.  There was one or two standouts…but that was it. The meat quality has really suffered most.  As @Seas2mountains stated, the steak in Teppanyaki was tough to the point of not eatable, and we’ve stopped going to Moderno because fewer (and slower) meat offerings of lower quality.  We will never cruise NCL again. Oh wait, we have a FC% to use!

Keep the colorful commentary coming!  Looking forward to how the multiple sea days go.

p.s.  you’re a tough audience as far as entertainment goes 🤣. Or, I’m easily amused (heck, I enjoyed just looking at the image of The PJ Family’s Holiday Cruise).

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

This morning before the meet and greet we stopped at Hudsons to check out the beautiful dining room. It is perfect! What a great place to make good (I hope) family memories. 

20231122_100358.thumb.jpg.bd1bc95aef5bb1aad3c3e6fe99c22ad1.jpg

On the way out, I inadvertently caused extra stress to the restaurant hosted as I asked to see the evening's dinner menu. She had to go fetch it. I'm returning with a small tip as I could tell she didn't need me asking stupid questions at 10 AM. 

Here's the menu. 

20231122_100748.thumb.jpg.257d95cb3c8e6e77998f3e41f9e08be6.jpg

20231122_100745.thumb.jpg.024a29a4fa68f3edc5ba9e43384fdfbd.jpg

I'm glad we're going to Food Republic. 

While there jerk bag Jim came up. Sorry to ask Jim's - I just made the name up. He asked the other host where to make reservations. Apparently he didn't like the answer he had to go back to the Atrium to make reservations. After all, the phone didn't work. As he left, after plenty of attitude with the hostess, he uttered, "Jesus Christ" as if the hostess (who was polite) and went unthanked, personally made the rule jerk bag Jim had to go to the Atrium. I've noticed a few jerk bag Jim's on this cruise. I'm going to start calling them out IRL I think. 

For those wondering, here is the official dress code. My shorts and tshirt are safe! 

20231122_100522.thumb.jpg.35ff836f9ed91c90f67066a3024d7436.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Do yall remember way back to September 2022, when I told you I was hesitant to go to a cruise ship show as I figured I wouldn't enjoy it? Then Million Dollar Quartet made me appreciate a good show? 

For a minute there, I thought you were going to break into song, with the opening lyrics from one of my all-time favorite songs..."Do you remember, the 21st night of September"...

• Haha 8

We had linner at The Local. 

Wings, ordered extra crispy with Buffalo sauce. The wings were still wet and sloppy. Hard do not recommend! Buffalo sauce was interesting too. Another do not recommend. Husband had sweet chili sauce. It was actually somewhat spicy and decent tasting. 

20231122_145625.thumb.jpg.c31aa0fdb3c6c2fad8e9f271150ea17f.jpg

I also ordered the sausage Sliders. Combined into one, it was ok. After a bite, just gave up on the bun and ate the sausage. I recommend the sausage. Not the bun or onion. 

20231122_145621.thumb.jpg.82b38aaa79f6d6d69c1f024a6b9ca3fd.jpg

Gosh I sound like a freaking diva! I'm sorry, yall! For the record, I do enjoy typical food - like Olive Garden, McDonalds, and Taco Bell. It's just some NCL food isn't even as good as that. 

We did enjoy the seating area outside! 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

Thank you for sharing the shrimp photos. I thought 13 was the magic number.  😄

That is crazy that they insist on serving it with the Shrimp Louie salad.  I’m sorry to hear about the food quality this cruise and the ongoing absence of the breakfast hash browns. I can’t say death of them as I have to hold out hope for them coming back some day. The only other big changes we noticed with the 30% cuts in food have been the change in steak quality (was filet and now is NY strip) at Teppanyaki. We no longer order the steak and shrimp but now order chicken and shrimp.  The second big change was when the buffet closed a few hours earlier which had to save a lot of $ in food waste. 

We also tend to avoid most of the production shows in the theater but loved Choir of Man. I think my husband would not want to see the Donna Summer in the theater but he’d enjoy the music if it were played by a band or duo or soloist in a smaller venue. 

Thank you for taking us along! I want to be like the ambassador couple constantly on cruises, too, but also without the crankiness and public arguments.

Lol on the pajamas family. We had a similar sighting in a hotel in Florida this week. It completely ruined our getaway - Not! Haha. 

Enjoy the rest of the cruise! 

Oh we fully intend to enjoy the heck out of this cruise! It's been great so far. I'm just honest and complain haha

Not going to lie, I hope my husband and I are like those Ambassadors too! Oh a dream to be old with your love. 

I'm glad you were able to salvage some of your vacation after seeing someone with the audacity to wear PJs! Hehe

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, laudergayle said:

Ohhhh Africa!  We just learned our 2025 cruise from Lisbon to Canary Islands including Agadir and Casablanca has been cancelled due to the Sun (ship) repositioning…boo hiss.  But we’ll take the 10% FC discount.

I agree with food quality comments…on the Bliss two weeks ago, everything was just okay.  There was one or two standouts…but that was it. The meat quality has really suffered most.  As @Seas2mountains stated, the steak in Teppanyaki was tough to the point of not eatable, and we’ve stopped going to Moderno because fewer (and slower) meat offerings of lower quality.  We will never cruise NCL again. Oh wait, we have a FC% to use!

Keep the colorful commentary coming!  Looking forward to how the multiple sea days go.

p.s.  you’re a tough audience as far as entertainment goes 🤣. Or, I’m easily amused (heck, I enjoyed just looking at the image of The PJ Family’s Holiday Cruise).

I'm sorry about the cruise. That's such a disappointment!! 

Maybe I can grab a filet from the Haven for when we go to Hasuki. I just can't justify paying that cover (even if it is Free at Sea) to have chicken. Ill take my chances with the NY strip. Ok... now I'm reconsidering. Maybe it'll be just shrimp and chicken. 

I feel bad about not liking Donna. I really wanted to!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Ok... now I'm reconsidering. Maybe it'll be just shrimp and chicken. 

Your husband can ask for ALL shrimp.  If you like noodles, someone at our table ordered the Chicken Yaki Udon and, OMG, my mouth watered just seeing it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We are in the land of dressed up people. Yall can get dressed up and feel comfortable at the captain's event! The fancy captain's event took over the Observation Lounge for a bit. Free drinks and some hors d'oeuvre for those pretending to be VIP for a bit. We know we're fancy. Haha, kidding! 

20231122_180933.thumb.jpg.7bb0e53766cdb19a79f91fc600ca20ef.jpg

And a line to get in.

20231122_180317.thumb.jpg.fb16314246d79060e56e33d1853554da.jpg

These are our only vacation dressy clothes we have, plus shorts! Awwwww, the looks.

20231122_181109.thumb.jpg.8cf14ef8dfcce6994e1786db8fb780fa.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 8

Food Republic night! We had a sushi smorgasbord. The people behind us could not imagine anyone using their dining package here. I can't imagine anyone paying a la carte at any NCL restaurant. Except for American Diner. You know I love this ooooey gooooooooey mozz sticks and banana milkshakes. Who's right? 

Here's our four course meal: 

Tiger Roll wish fish

20231122_183209.thumb.jpg.2a95ad4906ff67ea2fcbe834b40d8f7c.jpg

Volcano Roll wish fish

20231122_183853.thumb.jpg.4ba552359cbd461e9c76d1b1dca233da.jpg

Rock Shrimp Roll no fish

20231122_184747.thumb.jpg.ef7bc00bb3e06cc738d577a8109b70ae.jpg

Tiger Roll no fish

20231122_184751.thumb.jpg.5b468862e0674af1821f245f82648725.jpg

Dragon Roll no fish

20231122_190122.thumb.jpg.fd2b0ee7e89498ff778a01d28411eca1.jpg

Dynamite Roll with fish

20231122_190849.thumb.jpg.8c7b05cc11d1e202fd03ce6e07f1b18d.jpg

We repeated two rolls, so no additional photos of those. We also split the Korean Fried Chicken. 

20231122_184513.thumb.jpg.62e8c80c2224c80284c66af9503f6369.jpg

Everything was excellent! Service was stellar. A great meal! We're planning to be back later on in the sailing. 

Others were allowed to share a dining credit. We chose not to share as we wanted a full meal here. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1