Storm delays

molecrochip

Yes it is.  As a Watchkeeper at Prawle Point on the South Coast of Devon, we have decided to close the Lookout on Thursday.  Too dangerous for our watchkeepers to go on duty.

I don't envy Arcadia leaving on Friday either.  The residual swell will be quite big.

• Like 11

There is a chance it could be the lowest recorded pressure since the 50s.  Currently looking at low 960s, but could be low 950mb.  70-90mph winds down the Channel, 15m waves in the Bay of Biscay, not somewhere to be on a ship.

The jetstream is currently crazy,  I saw a screenshot earlier of two identical aircraft, both the same and both at 35,000 ft of the west coast of Ireland. One flying east was doing 600 knots, one flying west only 280kts.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Thejuggler said:

There is a chance it could be the lowest recorded pressure since the 50s.  Currently looking at low 960s, but could be low 950mb.  70-90mph winds down the Channel, 15m waves in the Bay of Biscay, not somewhere to be on a ship.

The jetstream is currently crazy,  I saw a screenshot earlier of two identical aircraft, both the same and both at 35,000 ft of the west coast of Ireland. One flying east was doing 600 knots, one flying west only 280kts.

As the saying goes, you can't have it both ways!

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Thejuggler said:

70-90mph winds down the Channel, 15m waves in the Bay of Biscay, not somewhere to be on a ship.

Blimey. We had 6-8 metre waves in the Bay of Biscay and lots of people were suffering with that 🤢

• Like 2

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

Quick conversion, 3 metres is 10 feet so 15 metres is 50 feet 😱

I feel nauseous reading that!

I can imagine a lot of shipping in the channel and BoB will take action to protect their vessels during the vicious forecasted storm where in some places winds are expected to exceed 100mph.

Vesselfinder.com might be ‘quite interesting’ tomorrow just to see how much shipping has altered course. Or for the ones attempting to ride through this, there are wave stats for each ship.

Just what heights some of these will report back!

Edited by GSPG
  • Like 7

Just finished a watch at Prawle Point (National Coastwatch).  New gale warning issued this morning for Plymouth was Gale 9 to Hurricane Force 12 with high or very high seas.    Even when that's over the seas will remain high for 2 days or so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

27 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Delaying departing cruise ships is one thing, but are there any P&O cruise ships that will be heading back to Southampton through it?

The next P&O ship isn't until the 11th - Iona

MSC Euribia due on Friday from Rotterdam, then a bit of a break until the 8th (Queen Victoria)

• Thanks 3

Just now, showingdiva said:

MSC Euribia due on Friday from Rotterdam, then a bit of a break until the 8th (Queen Victoria)

Thanks. We are due back 11th as well (Ventura). Hopefully it will all just be a bad memory by then 🤞

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

I’ve seen elsewhere, someone on Euribia says they are sailing at 10pm tonight from Rotterdam. If true, I can only assume the plan is to find shelter somewhere 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’ve seen elsewhere, someone on Euribia says they are sailing at 10pm tonight from Rotterdam. If true, I can only assume the plan is to find shelter somewhere 

She's due in Le Havre on Thursday morning.   Hopefully.   Therein lies the problem of embarkation / disembarkation at each port.    However, on the plus side, Captain Chris is at the helm.   He comes across as a calm, safe pair of hands when the going gets touch.   Which they may need.

Relieved to hear Arcadia is staying put in Southampton, although she may need held by a tug at Mayflower.   A bit exposed (and close to the container terminal) if things get bouncy.

1 hour ago, jh1809 said:

There must be some mistake somewhere. 940 maybe, but 840 isn't really possible.

current eye of the storm pressure estimated as down to 720!, Obviously wrong or are we on a 'day after tomorrow' path?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

She's due in Le Havre on Thursday morning.   Hopefully.   Therein lies the problem of embarkation / disembarkation at each port.    However, on the plus side, Captain Chris is at the helm.   He comes across as a calm, safe pair of hands when the going gets touch.   Which they may need.

Relieved to hear Arcadia is staying put in Southampton, although she may need held by a tug at Mayflower.   A bit exposed (and close to the container terminal) if things get bouncy.

The person said that Le Havre had been cancelled, and they are leaving Rotterdam tonight to ‘find calmer waters’.

Obviously, this is all hearsay, but it’s a ship to watch out for tonight and tomorrow 

1 hour ago, jeanlyon said:

Just finished a watch at Prawle Point (National Coastwatch).  New gale warning issued this morning for Plymouth was Gale 9 to Hurricane Force 12 with high or very high seas.    Even when that's over the seas will remain high for 2 days or so.

We should be OK at Bournemouth then. That's miles away from Plymouth.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

They are not going into Le Harve. Someone who embarked at Zebrugge posted that he was told on day 1 that this port would be missed. So they may seek shelter or make a dash forSouthampton, who knows.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, davecttr said:

current eye of the storm pressure estimated as down to 720!, Obviously wrong or are we on a 'day after tomorrow' path?

Boggle! The only thing I can think of is that instead of the standard mb they are using mm of mercury as their unit. From school physics lessons over 50 years ago, ISTR that "standard" atmospheric pressure is 760 mm of mercury (so 760 mm equating to about 1012 mb).