Semi-Live Review of Oceania Riviera November 9-19, 2023 from a New Oceania Guest

Sthrngary

Red Ginger for Dinner Last Night:

This cruise brand is so different in a unique way.  On the first night, we ate at Toscana.  It was lovely and everyone in my party was so impressed.  The second night we ate at Jacques, to the person we all agreed, this was a truly positive experience in so many ways.  The third night we ate in the grand dining room.  The food was good, but how can you compare.  It was better then most Main Dining Rooms I have gone to.  THEN there was Red Ginger.  To everyone who gave me advice on Red Ginger, Thank you.  I was afraid our guest would not like it.  Instead we all agreed, it was slightly better then Jacques.  

The crispy duck salad, the sushi plate, the expanding wet wash cloth, and for me, the Rack of Lamb.  Yes, I did not get the Sea Bass but others did and LOVED it.  BUT that lamb was outstanding. I have not been impressed with the deserts but my simple cake desert in Red Ginger I ate every bit. 

About the food:

The food is obviously really good but that is compared to my previous experience on other cruise lines.  I did not cruise Oceania pre-covid so I have no comparison to those that did.  It is hard to image it being any better across the board. I am not challenging anyone that is was better, just giving my opinion.  

In addition, I am eating less and less every day we cruise.  I find that the food is richer then I am used too.  I have adjusted my eating patterns to eat less so I can be more hungry for dinner.  

Some Area's of Improvement:

The pool bar is good for mixed drinks but don't order a Mud Slide there.  Kind of tasteless.  However the only reason why I ordered a mud slide was I tried to order a Milk Shake at the ice cream counter.  The crew member there was over worked and alone.  He keep leaving the door open for the Ice Cream and it was melting.  My Milk Shake was like drinking chocolate milk.  I wrote it off because I rarely ever get a Milk Shake anyway.  

The Morning Pastries are hit of miss.  When they are a miss, I simply don't finish them.  Back to my appetite.  If you ever met me, I love to eat even when I am not hungry.  When everything is for the most part a new level of good, it is hard eat something that is just OK.  So I just eat less and wait for dinner.  I hope that makes sense.

My bedroom was a frozen tundra and I had to ask twice for it to be fixed.  Finally, it is adjustable.  Who ever stays in this suite on the upcoming cruise, you own me a drink. 

Conclusion for this Post:  Bumpy waters for our first and only sea day.  The weather has been crazy. One second it is raining cats and dogs.  The next second it is sunny and warm.  Trying to take a nap and being bounced around the bed is a unique experience.  I thing all this bouncing makes one need to go to the bathroom more.  That is my experience anyway.  

PS: To all the folks dancing late last night in the Horizons, I have you did not have to much of a hang over this morning.  Some of you were feeling no pain.  Yes I took pictures but will not release them unless you send me lots of money to Bit Coin.  

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@shepherd really Good for you for getting my humor.  Funny thing, it was a wind breaker.  Also funny, you cannot make this stuff up.  

Thanks Gary, keep on posting.  I'm 87 days from the start of my next cruise (not that I'm counting), so firsthand travelogs like yours are keeping me engaged.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

I say to each his own and enjoy my steak. how they dressed does not affect my cruise one little bit.

1 hour ago, shepherd really said:

But he was wearing a jacket, so the fashion police will give him a pass.

I said it was disappointing, but in no way, does it affect my cruise 'one little bit'. I'd also add dressing like a slob in a nice dinner venue (whether on land or at sea) shows a complete lack of awareness and respect... for self, for others, and for the venue. And I'm not into policing anybody's behaviors but my own. Common sense should dictate there's a time and place for everything...but of course, in today's world, the practice of common sense is a lost art.

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

23 hours ago, LHT28 said:

At one time the top suites could dine in the specialties  anytime space was available   not sure if that still is the case

We simply asked our butler to get us a table in the restaurant we wanted to eat in.  He did and we did.  (Vista and Owners Suites...)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jazznruby said:

I said it was disappointing, but in no way, does it affect my cruise 'one little bit'. I'd also add dressing like a slob in a nice dinner venue (whether on land or at sea) shows a complete lack of awareness and respect... for self, for others, and for the venue. And I'm not into policing anybody's behaviors but my own. Common sense should dictate there's a time and place for everything...but of course, in today's world, the practice of common sense is a lost art.

I agree with you, but have to wonder if perhaps the passengers in question had lost luggage. 🤔 At least I hope it was true for the gentlemen wearing flip flops and a tee. 😏

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

I agree with you, but have to wonder if perhaps the passengers in question had lost luggage. 🤔 At least I hope it was true for the gentlemen wearing flip flops and a tee. 😏

You're much more willing than I to give that "gentleman" the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/8/2023 at 4:23 AM, Vallesan said:

Pinotlover. Not sure if you read Georgina’s posts about the food on Oceania but we exchanged several, good natured, posts earlier on this thread.

I lightheartedly suggested Georgina find another cruise line if Oceania was no longer her cup of tea!

Mexicobob was just agreeing.

Please let’s not turn  lighthearted banter into something less pleasant.

Sometimes the "ignore" feature is the best thing about Cruise Critic. You can delete people that you probably do not want to hear from and you will never see their posts again. 

Tuesday, November 14, 2023:

I am writing this overview based on being new to Oceania, being a veteran Cruiser of 40 years, looking for an enhanced cruise over Main Stream Cruise Brand and being 66 years old and having guest that have not cruised before. You have to understand my perspective when I make comments.  I also attempt to look at the positive vs. the negatives yet still be realistic. Just who I am as a person.  On to my thoughts about yesterday which was a sea day.

Dinner at Polo Grill:  Let me start by saying, I have another reservation for the Polo Grill for the last night of the cruise.  I will cancel it today.  That is going to give you an indication of my thoughts on our experience last night.  

I had high hopes for the Polo Grill yet read every ones review of the experience they had here on Cruise Critic.  So I went in with balanced and realistic expectations.  Let's start with the good.  My Prime rib, queen cut was excellent.  I was thrilled with that.  Yet, I asked for horseradish three times and never got it.  Still, great meat.  The whole main lobster was inedible, tough and hard to cut. The 20 oz porterhouse was not cooked correctly and just warm.  The deserts was average to below average.  Now I can live with all that except the service was simple awful.  From the ability to gain assistance, to the drink service to cleaning dishes off the table to asking us how our food was.  

This was the first and only major fail of this cruise.  The table around me were having the same discussion so it was not just my table.  As it relates to other cruise ship Steak Houses, other then my prime rib, it comes in on the bottom of my personal list.  On our last night, we all agreed we will cancel Polo and go to the Waves Pizzeria. 

The Main Show:  Tonight the show was really not good.  Rather than complain, here is how we handled it.  We sat in the back, gave it a chance, stood up and left.  When to Martini's for a drink and the piano player.  Then went to Horizons for Beatles Music which was very nice. The guest singer will be to night again and she was great for her first performance.  

Cooking Class:  EXCELENT.  I did thing I never thought I could do then ate them.  Learned what i was doing wrong at home which will change my approach especially when cooking pasta and making a salad. I HIGHLY recommend any class.  

Folks From Cruise Critic That I Haven Met:  Everyone has been lovely, kind and interesting.  Thank for the warm embrace.  

Butler:  You want a highlight, our butler.  He caught us gong back to hour suite late and asked, "Since we get in to port late, what time do you want your coffee in the morning?"  A little thing, but just think about how intuitive it was.  Bravo.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2023 at 6:35 PM, Cruzin Terri said:

It has been reported on CC many times that because the Vista suites are in the front of the ship that the furniture is tied down at night.  Why, they don’t say.  However, it is a known fact.  Gary, with all your research, I am surprised you did not find this out ahead of time.  It sounds like you are having a great cruise in spite of this.  Enjoy!

Furniture in aft suites is sometimes tied down too -if a storm is coming.  We had a Seven Seas Aft suite on Regent's Mariner once and the "tie down" happened several times (it was a TA crossing...). Our furniture in the Vista Suite on Riviera was tied down almost every night and the cushions put into what should be the little gym (which we never used anyway...)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Dinner at Polo Grill:  Let me start by saying, I have another reservation for the Polo Grill for the last night of the cruise.  I will cancel it today.  That is going to give you an indication of my thoughts on our experience last night.  

I had high hopes for the Polo Grill yet read every ones review of the experience they had here on Cruise Critic.  So I went in with balanced and realistic expectations.  Let's start with the good.  My Prime rib, queen cut was excellent.  I was thrilled with that.  Yet, I asked for horseradish three times and never got it.  Still, great meat.  The whole main lobster was inedible, tough and hard to cut. The 20 oz porterhouse was not cooked correctly and just warm.  The deserts was average to below average.  Now I can live with all that except the service was simple awful.  From the ability to gain assistance, to the drink service to cleaning dishes off the table to asking us how our food was.  

This was the first and only major fail of this cruise.  The table around me were having the same discussion so it was not just my table.  As it relates to other cruise ship Steak Houses, other then my prime rib, it comes in on the bottom of my personal list.  On our last night, we all agreed we will cancel Polo and go to the Waves Pizzeria. 

Butler:  You want a highlight, our butler.  He caught us gong back to hour suite late and asked, "Since we get in to port late, what time do you want your coffee in the morning?"  A little thing, but just think about how intuitive it was.  Bravo.

We had the same experience in the Polo Grill, but we chalked it down to the fact that the Noro Virus was going around the ship and many of the crew were sick.  That was a miserable cruise!  Tried Polo again on the 'make-up' cruise, and while the service was better, the food was not that great.  We compared with our wonderful Tuscan Grill experiences on Celebrity.  Having said that, our experiences in HAL's Pinnacle Grill have been less than stellar in service and food.

That was very clever of your Butler.  I am sure he would like to have a few minutes extra to stay in bed himself!  Lol

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

Furniture in aft suites is sometimes tied down too -if a storm is coming.  We had a Seven Seas Aft suite on Regent's Mariner once and the "tie down" happened several times (it was a TA crossing...). Our furniture in the Vista Suite on Riviera was tied down almost every night and the cushions put into what should be the little gym (which we never used anyway...)

We were in an Aft Oceania Suite on Marina last month. Our furniture was never tied down; some nights cushions stayed outside, some they were brought inside, hidden behind drapes in 
Living Room. We sat outside several nights, and almost every morning. We lucked out with amazing weather for all 10 days. This was our first O cruise, will always want these particular aft Oceania Suites.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Tuesday, November 14, 2023:

Cooking Class:  EXCELENT.  I did thing I never thought I could do then ate them.  Learned what i was doing wrong at home which will change my approach especially when cooking pasta and making a salad. I HIGHLY recommend any class.  

Your Polo Grill experience was similar to all our experiences at the dining rooms on the second (Oct 23) O cruise.  I was starting to wonder if Nautica was a 'starter' ship where you learned the ropes before being promoted to one of the larger ships.  Plus it was just a stark contrast to the amazing service and food on that first Riviera cruise.  

On the first cruise, the service was up there with the best I have ever experienced but on the Nautica, each venue was lacking - beverages not showing up, wine not topped up, wait staff not noticing issues (at afternoon tea I almost went to get my own pot of hot water)

@SthrngaryI was so hopeful that you wouldn't have any bad service!  And the cooking classes looked great but I didn't sign up in time.  Will add that to another reason to go back on O. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GeorginaSpica said:

Your Polo Grill experience was similar to all our experiences at the dining rooms on the second (Oct 23) O cruise.  I was starting to wonder if Nautica was a 'starter' ship where you learned the ropes before being promoted to one of the larger ships.  Plus it was just a stark contrast to the amazing service and food on that first Riviera cruise.  

On the first cruise, the service was up there with the best I have ever experienced but on the Nautica, each venue was lacking - beverages not showing up, wine not topped up, wait staff not noticing issues (at afternoon tea I almost went to get my own pot of hot water)

@SthrngaryI was so hopeful that you wouldn't have any bad service!  And the cooking classes looked great but I didn't sign up in time.  Will add that to another reason to go back on O. 🙂

It is very important on any cruise not to let any experience affect your overall appreciation. We were also blessed to have the opportunity to cruise at any age. I have had poor experience in steakhouses on most all the cruises I’ve been on. This was no shock and just let me know to try something different. Most everything else food wise has been fabulous. 

Cruise well, and enjoy every moment

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

It is very important on any cruise not to let any experience affect your overall appreciation. We were also blessed to have the opportunity to cruise at any age. I have had poor experience in steakhouses on most all the cruises I’ve been on. This was no shock and just let me know to try something different. Most everything else food wise has been fabulous. 

Your experience seems to mirror mine. I’ve had excellent meals on Oceania, along with mediocre and some poor ones. If you want to reduce the odds of having a poor one, don’t order the lobster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Your experience seems to mirror mine. I’ve had excellent meals on Oceania, along with mediocre and some poor ones. If you want to reduce the odds of having a poor one, don’t order the lobster.

Thank you you take the good with the bad, but still, best cruise I’ve ever taken in my life. I also took your advice, we bought some nice wine and bought it on board and my wife is loving it. Thank you for all your help over all these months.

• Like 3

Not Laurence, she is definitely French. Late 2021 or early 2022 two ladies were promoted to GM’s and have been great successes so you have Laurence’s colleague but I have not met her yet. 
Any additional insights for O and Riviera, shoot me an email. gerryesker@gmail.com

Enjoy,

Mauibabes

@Sthrngary

Absolute BUMMER on the Polo meal. Let’s hope it is an aberration. We know nothing is perfect as you have said but you need a little chat with the Polo Maitre d. He/She needs to know that their team really dropped the ball. If not the Maitre d, then mention it to your Outstanding Butler, the message must and will be shared. We have had an unacceptable experience in the past and shared it in our mid cruise survey. The day after I submitted it, I had a call from the Sr. executive chef and we were invited back and this time it was the Polo Chef who ensured we were not disappointed as well as the Maitre d. That Maine Lobster is usually very good so they need to know there are issues.  When you go to the O Club Party, I am sure the Restaurant Manager and Food and Beverage Director will be in the Receiving Line. Share your experience and give them a chance to do better.
We just got off Vista and ate in the Waves/Pizzaria one evening and while the pizza was OK, Chicken pineapple Hawaiian, the chicken was tasteless. Bad choice of toppings on our part. IMHO you might just be compounding your experience.

Glad to read you elected to bring some good wines aboard for some special meals. On our last trip we brought 6 bottles of Silver Trident, Benevolent Dictator, Pinot Noir on board. It should be available on Riviera as well and they sell it it for $125.  I bought it at the Silver Trident Tasting Room in Younteville CA and even paying the $25 Corkage, we probably saved $30-50 a bottle. I mention this wine because it is Excellent and the Silver Trident owner/partner is Bob Binder, one of the CEO’s who helped FDR start Oceania Cruises over 20 years ago. 

Should you have time and the availability to try Privee as I mentioned awhile back, you could really give them an opportunity to “Make it Right”. Maybe in mentioning your experience to the F and B or RM, you could ask about booking Privee. You never know, they might even take you up on a dinner invitation and Comp it as well 😇🙏. Believe me, they want you to leave Riviera having had a FANTASTIC cruise experience. 

Just some thoughts,

Mauibabes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, mauibabes said:

We know nothing is perfect as you have said but you need a little chat with the Polo Maitre d. He/She needs to know that their team really dropped the ball. If not the Maitre d, then mention it to your Outstanding Butler, the message must and will be shared.

@mauibabes This will be done.  I did not want to do it the night of. I would not have been as clear diplomatic as I would be a day later.  But I assure you, it will hapGpen, thank you. 

Glad to read you elected to bring some good wines aboard for some special meals.

The wine was lovely more important it was Italian wine.  My wife LOVED it and the experience buying it. 

You never know, they might even take you up on a dinner invitation and Comp it as well 😇🙏.

Why do you tempt me like this?????   I promise my voice will be hear in 100 words or less.  And a smile. 

Cruise well and thank you. 

• Like 1

Wednesdays, November 15, 2023--07:00 AM

Yesterday we were in Messina, Italy.  Again for those following this information,  we did not Oceania Excursions.  Messina is all about the clock.  We found a cafe, got Expresso, and watched the clock.  We then took the tourist train for 10 euro's each which took us around the area with audio information.  It stopped several times to let us take pictures.  A few of the Homeless asked for money but no one was mean when we said no.  

During our tour, we found a Pizza place off the beaten path and randomly choose it.  It was GREAT. Came back to the ship after about 4-5 hours.  

Everyone wants something different on a ship.  I want relaxation and the heated tile loungers in the spa is just up my alley.  My wife and I laid down, and in 2 minutes were fast asleep.  Now that is living because when we woke up, it was sunset outside.  Again I say, a cruise is what you make of it.  

Everyone knows i did a lot of study, yet when I entered the ship, I stay open and flexibly.  If there is one thing I really want to do, that is a focus.  The other things are options.  It is as if my hard core structure brain is turned off.  

We ate in Jacques for the second time.  Just as lovely as the first.  The weather was GREAT and we feel so lucky for that.  We went to bed early because we all wanted to do a lot of walking in Naples.  My goal is to find the espresso place I say on YouTube.  Other then that, my friend wants to shop and I will watch her do so.  I don't shop, I buy for my wife, but shopping is not my thing.  Unless you are in Naples of course.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Thursday, November 16, 2023:

Naples was fantastic.  We went to Gini's by the water for pizza and pasta.  We walked the city, went to the famous Galleria Mall.  Everyone has French bull dogs like I do and it was so nice to see the all.  They are all allowed to run off leash and mind their humans.  Mine would have ran to Rome if I let him off leash.  

We canceled our dinner in Toscana for Wednesdays Night and rescheduled it for Saturdays night.  We cancelled our last night at Polo Grill and YES I did say something "Nicely" to the staff about our dinner.  Not an issue, enjoying the food anyway.  

We took an early night because of all the walking in Naples and caught up on some reading.  For the first time I used the Jacuzzi in the Master Bath and it was great.  We still have not used the one on the deck but tonight is the night I think. 

We are going to book another 10 day cruise for 2025 in October on the Vista.  When we come back from Rome today, we will go to the future cruise desk to fully understand the deal.  

If you have any question I can answer, ask,  I will keep my posts and answer short but happy to help.

PS: Weight Watchers, here I come.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Glad you are having a good time!

I know you had done some very thorough research before this cruise, and had a good idea what to expect.

What has surprised you?

There is a certain ambience on O which is hard to quantify, and I feel you have to be in it to understand it, and no matter how much you think you understand O before you go, unless you have experienced O you don’t “get it” til you are onboard. 

Speaking to the a senior member of crew one evening on Sirena I asked her what she thought it was…she said it’s the crew - I tend to agree. It is a very beautiful package that all fits together well to make a great product. Not without crinkles in the packaging, that can happen anywhere of course. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, ToxM said:

Glad you are having a good time!

I know you had done some very thorough research before this cruise, and had a good idea what to expect.

What has surprised you?

There is a certain ambience on O which is hard to quantify, and I feel you have to be in it to understand it, and no matter how much you think you understand O before you go, unless you have experienced O you don’t “get it” til you are onboard. 

Speaking to the a senior member of crew one evening on Sirena I asked her what she thought it was…she said it’s the crew - I tend to agree. It is a very beautiful package that all fits together well to make a great product. Not without crinkles in the packaging, that can happen anywhere of course. 

I agree.

Some things are just hard to quantify especially ambience. I’ve always found Oceania special. I put it down to the small ship atmosphere. I’ve found similar on Seabourn and Silversea.

• Like 3