Is a CruiseFIRST certificate a deposit?

Smitheroo

When purchasing a travel insurance plan it asks for the date of first payment when considering pre-existing conditions coverage.  My question is does the date that you applied your CruiseFIRST certificate to the booking considered to be the date of first payment?   I booked on 10/15 and applied a $500 CruiseFirst certificate. I assumed that was my "deposit" since nothing else was asked for. Final payment to be made 9 Dec 2023.      

19 hours ago, ggTexasGal said:

Also verifying that, yes, the date your Cruise First was applied is your Deposit date!

and that means that the date that you applied the CruiseFIRST certificate is the "first payment" for insurance purposes?    Couldnt you apply the CruiseFIRST certificate at a later date (but before final payment) to give yourself more time for choosing insurance? 

50 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

and that means that the date that you applied the CruiseFIRST certificate is the "first payment" for insurance purposes?    Couldnt you apply the CruiseFIRST certificate at a later date (but before final payment) to give yourself more time for choosing insurance? 

You can apply a CF at a later date within the certificate terms.  An unused CF certificate can sit in your account but must be used on a cruise that sails before the expiration date and is at least 120 days from when you purchase it.

if you bought a CF on 10/30/23, you can use it for any cruise after March 3/4, 2024.  If you pick a March cruise in January you could apply your CF as a down payment or an additional payment. 

12 hours ago, Smitheroo said:

Sure you can apply the CF at a later date.

One problem with your plan regarding insurance - where's the deposit required at booking?

If you don't use your CF, you have to pay cash now for the deposit.

Booking date will be your first payment date.

Only exception I can think of is that some TA's will cover the deposit for you for a period of time; but the one I know charges a fee of $24.99 for the privilege. So, technically, you still pay something with the booking. Oops. 

On 11/3/2023 at 3:03 AM, cruiser2015 said:

Sure you can apply the CF at a later date.

One problem with your plan regarding insurance - where's the deposit required at booking?

If you don't use your CF, you have to pay cash now for the deposit.

Booking date will be your first payment date.

Only exception I can think of is that some TA's will cover the deposit for you for a period of time; but the one I know charges a fee of $24.99 for the privilege. So, technically, you still pay something with the booking. Oops. 

That's why I asked if CruiseFIrst is considered a first payment. Because if you dont use it then you will be expected to pay a deposit. At least that's how it looks to me bit I'm the new kid on the block with a lot of this stuff. So yes, CruiseFirst would be like a first payment. 

24 minutes ago, Smitheroo said:

That's why I asked if CruiseFIrst is considered a first payment. Because if you dont use it then you will be expected to pay a deposit. At least that's how it looks to me bit I'm the new kid on the block with a lot of this stuff. So yes, CruiseFirst would be like a first payment. 

My opinion is that if you were to purchase a CF and hold onto it for a while, you have not made any payment towards a cruise as yet (regarding the insurance question). Let's say you booked a cruise a month later; I would call that booking date your first payment date

If you buy the CF and book a cruise at the same time, again, there's a payment date.

The insurance question is based on when you put out cash for a vacation purchase.

6 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

My opinion is that if you were to purchase a CF and hold onto it for a while, you have not made any payment towards a cruise as yet (regarding the insurance question). Let's say you booked a cruise a month later; I would call that booking date your first payment date

If you buy the CF and book a cruise at the same time, again, there's a payment date.

The insurance question is based on when you put out cash for a vacation purchase.

But if using a Cruise First certificate means you dont have to make any other payment until the date the final payment is due then it is like a deposit and would be considered "first payment"   I think.   This isnt that important because as I become wiser about purchasing insurance it is becoming easier to make a decison quickly.   

Sorry i read it again and it says you can make a payment: Your CruiseFirst certificate(s) may be redeemed as a deposit or as a payment towards your new reservation's grand total with a sail date greater than 120 days from purchase date.  Thanks for heads up about 120 days. I didn’t notice that.

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

Sorry i read it again and it says you can make a payment: Your CruiseFirst certificate(s) may be redeemed as a deposit or as a payment towards your new reservation's grand total with a sail date greater than 120 days from purchase date.  Thanks for heads up about 120 days. I didn’t notice that.

The point of the OP's original query was to determine when he had made an initial payment towards his reservation. Booking requires a deposit - therefore you have made a payment upon booking. It does not matter whether you use a cruise first or a separate cash payment - either way it's a payment.