Any recent hash brown sightings?

Seas2mountains

Our most recent cruise was in September of this year on NCL Spirit.  Prior to that cruise, I remember reading a few live reviews noting the absence of the much beloved breakfast hash browns. I mentally prepared myself that there might not be any hash browns for that cruise. It's a good thing I did as we didn't see a single hash brown on the cruise and they were no longer listed on the menu in Windows.  I swear we had breakfast hash browns on the Spirit in June/July but I honestly don't remember.  

Has anyone seen those awesome, yummy hash browns that are so crisp with just the right amount of oil so they just the right texture with each bite?

I was thinking this was a temporary thing but noticed this mentioned in a few recent reviews including on @OrcaGirl 's live review on the Escape this week.

If they are gone, can we petition to bring them back? Much like we need the buffalo chicken wings in the Local/O'Sheehan's to be fried again and not baked.  Please NCL, can you get them on the Pearl by December, please, pretty please.....   😀  🥔

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

No hash browns on the Joy 3 weeks ago. 

No hash browns in the Joy Haven last week.  (We are rarely in Haven, but figured if they didn't have them there they weren't anywhere on ship.)

Our awesome butler was super apologetic about this.   They are still listed on the breakfast delivery hang-tags😕

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Anoynmous Phoenix said:

None in the MDR for breakfast July/August on the Star or the Prima BUT I believe there was something "like" hash browns in the Garden Cafe on the Star!!

Yes it was! I had one, it was fine for me, but I'm not a hash brown eater myself, so my take on "fine" really doesn't say much. FWIW I would say "fine" but I wouldn¨go as far as "yummy"

No hashbrown sightings on the Escape so far this week, and none on the Bliss in June.

What I don’t know is if they purchased the hash browns frozen (so cost-cutting) or if galley crew make them (so labour-intensive compared to country potatoes)?

1 hour ago, richmke said:

Anyone ever seen Biscuits and Gravy?

I've never seen it on the menu, but both are available in the breakfast buffet.  I will say that the "cream" gravy tastes terrible, every time I have tried it was just flour taste, no flavor.  Not something I'd eat.

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS WRONG WITH NCL REMOVING HASH BROWNS?!?!?!?

That is literally insane.  There's cutting costs and then there is cutting costs.  I didn't much care for the ones that they had (too onion-y) but it's a staple like bacon.  They best have on point other breakfast potatoes.  I think this may be my last cruise for a little while until we're past the cost cutting to make up for covid is over.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, OrcaGirl said:

No hashbrown sightings on the Escape so far this week, and none on the Bliss in June.

What I don’t know is if they purchased the hash browns frozen (so cost-cutting) or if galley crew make them (so labour-intensive compared to country potatoes)?

There's a good chance they make them, they don't do a lot of frozen stuff - but can't say for certain. Something to ask next time I'm on a galley tour.

I was on the Sky last month and got hash browns with my room-service breakfast.

3 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but those hash browns are like grease sponges.

Yes, that's why they're awesome! What else you gonna do with the bacon and sausage drippings on your plate?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

Yes, that's why they're awesome! What else you gonna do with the bacon and sausage drippings on your plate?

I meant they're already greasy when they're served. They don't need to sop up any more grease...if that's even possible.

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Thanks 1