Any recent hash brown sightings?

Seas2mountains

2 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Then you better inform every diner in the US. That's what they call them...even though my mom called them potato pancakes when she made them.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. All of the breakfast places I go to like Denny's and IHOP serve hash browns that look exactly like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Then you better inform every diner in the US. That's what they call them...even though my mom called them potato pancakes when she made them.

Just like everyone think Hawaiian pizza was invented in Hawaii ... it wasn't, it's from Ontario, Canada 🤷🏻‍♂️  

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, sebas030 said:

In fact this is a "RÖSTI",it was invented in Switzerland...not a Hahsbrown 😉 

Not sure it was invented by the Swiss.  Although the "RÖSTI" is a staple in Swiss culture, potatoes were not even a thing in Europe until after they were discovered in the "New World" in the late 1500's by the Spaniards.  I cannot imagine that in the thousands of years they had potatoes in Peru before they were discovered that it was the Swiss who figured out how to thinly slice and cook them into a "cake".  

OMG! 😮

So one more thing to bring onboard ourselves, after:

• Tim Hortons Coffee (the real McCoy)
  • 18% Cream for said coffee
  • Real Quebec Maple Syrup
  • an ample supply of Clamato Juice for our Bloody Caesars
  • now
    - enough Hash Browns for a weeks worth of breakfasts... 

Sheesh, eh?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, GuelphCruisers said:

OMG! 😮

So one more thing to bring onboard ourselves, after:

• Tim Hortons Coffee (the real McCoy)
  • 18% Cream for said coffee
  • Real Quebec Maple Syrup
  • an ample supply of Clamato Juice for our Bloody Caesars
  • now
    - enough Hash Browns for a weeks worth of breakfasts... 

Sheesh, eh?

I'm on your cruise, I'll gladly fork over some cash for the Tim Hortons coffee 😀

Also - Can you bring cream on a cruise ship?  My wife would be extatic if we could do that.  Wasn't a problem on our last 2 trips in the Haven but sadly we are down in steerage for this one.  Someone needs to cancel their Haven suite so we can upgrade!

11 minutes ago, wilmingtech said:

I'm on your cruise, I'll gladly fork over some cash for the Tim Hortons coffee 😀

Also - Can you bring cream on a cruise ship?  My wife would be extatic if we could do that.  Wasn't a problem on our last 2 trips in the Haven but sadly we are down in steerage for this one.  Someone needs to cancel their Haven suite so we can upgrade!

You’ll have to talk to my sister, she is setting up the Tim Hortons Kiosk in her stateroom. LOL

Sure, the cream is no problem - don’t even ask me how she is getting several bottles of Bailey’s into her room. 😄

From my younger days serving @ a Diner…

Hash browns  

Scattered, Smothered & Covered

Actually for me just scattered & covered w/ good cheese 😎

Just like Mom taught us to cook - well seasoned…

Grilled them for Brunch yesterday.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Von & John said:

From my younger days serving @ a Diner…

Hash browns  

Scattered, Smothered & Covered

Actually for me just scattered & covered w/ good cheese 😎

Just like Mom taught us to cook - well seasoned…

Submerging hockey pucks of frozen potatoes into a deep fryer and calling them hash browns is blasphemy. Proper hash browns are created with shredded potatoes on a griddle.

Edited by schmoopie17

1 hour ago, schmoopie17 said:

Submerging hockey pucks of frozen potatoes into a deep fryer and calling them hash browns is blasphemy. Proper hash browns are created with shredded potatoes on a griddle.

Well, Norwegian don't do them either, so that's us all double screwed.

6 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

The thing is the “proper hash browns” are rare to have a layer of crispiness in most restaurants and I’ve unfortunately been served barely thawed soggy shredded potatoes with no crispy top layers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

The thing is the “proper hash browns” are rare to have a layer of crispiness in most restaurants and I’ve unfortunately been served barely thawed soggy shredded potatoes with no crispy top layers. 

Remember that they also rarely have salt, pepper, or onions! One diner in the world gets them right. Based on this report, I'm stopping in at @Von & John's place in Talkeetna for a proper hash brown. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

Absolutely - Hashbrowns are fresh shredded, seasoned, scattered on the griddle & occasionally covered w/ cheese. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

That’s truly unfortunate. 
Hashbrowns cooked properly are amazing. 
Must be a Mid-West thing …

”Here hold my beer”

34 minutes ago, Von & John said:

That’s truly unfortunate. 
Hashbrowns cooked properly are amazing. 
Must be a Mid-West thing …

”Here hold my beer”

The only place I've had decent hash browns is Snow City Cafe in Anchorage. Also the diner that made me desire crab cake eggs Benedict! Alaska does it right!

• Like 2

On 11/6/2023 at 1:09 PM, schmoopie17 said:

Here are REAL hash browns as I tried to describe earlier. Now we’re talking…

IMG_9808.png

THESE are the kinds of hash browns I was talking about that I am regularly served at diners. The "hockey puck" shaped ones I have only seen at fast food restaurants like McD's, Wendy's, Burger King, etc. I prefer the diner kind.

I'm a huge fan of hash browns (as shown above, not the formed "puck" style) over country potatoes or similar style.  On the Getaway earlier this month I did see the "pucks" occasionally in the buffet and even though Taste had a breakfast item with the option of hash browns or country potatoes listed, hash browns were NOT available.  I hope I can find some on the Bliss in 2 weeks.

11 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

The only place I've had decent hash browns is Snow City Cafe in Anchorage. Also the diner that made me desire crab cake eggs Benedict! Alaska does it right!

A few years ago while in Vegas and staying at the Bellagio I had a couple for the breakfast buffet. It was amazing, they had a station that all they did was make fresh hash browns while you waited. Best I've ever had

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Laszlo said:

A few years ago while in Vegas and staying at the Bellagio I had a couple for the breakfast buffet. It was amazing, they had a station that all they did was make fresh hash browns while you waited. Best I've ever had

This sounds wonderful!!!

• Like 1