Will Celebrity cancel Turkey ports for 2024

cricketlover

19 minutes ago, zitsky said:

If there is an open conflict or legitimate expectation of one, then sure, avoid it.  I think folks are exaggerating the risk of visiting a place like Turkey.  I went there despite it not being LGBT friendly.

There is an open conflict in the region. 

• Like 1

My DH and I were accosted in Marseille, so anything is possible; however, I still remember the unsafe feeling that went through my bones, but also did not let this one incident keep me from traveling either.  We were both prepared, but just didn’t expect it.   No one can predict the future!  The cruise industry is no different.

Edited by Lastdance

1 minute ago, Lastdance said:

My DH and I were accosted in Marseille, so anything is possible; however, I still remember the unsafe feeling that went through my bones, but also did not let this one incident keep me from traveling either.  No one can predict the future!

Marseille is one of those  iffy places but not in a war zone! 

Having Been in conflict zones, and since Im now retired, there isnt enough money to be in or near one again. Türkiye is not a combat zone, but there is a good deal of issues throughout the area over the US’s support of Israel. 

Yes, have had issues in big cities; pickpocketed in Venice and would still go back, but those type of issues have Nothing to do with Turk port call concerns. 

I had a river cruise from Bucharest to Budapest but was canceled due to Pandemic; going to go again…….Once, once Ukraine quiets down. 

My restrictions on not putting myself or my wife into an area where there is heightened concerns that a group of people could raise.

I Loved Istanbul (and Kusadashi) and felt very safe there, but Id give it a bit of time right now.  

Den

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Having Been in conflict zones, and since Im now retired, there isnt enough money to be in or near one again. Türkiye is not a combat zone, but there is a good deal of issues throughout the area over the US’s support of Israel. 

Yes, have had issues in big cities; pickpocketed in Venice and would still go back, but those type of issues have Nothing to do with Turk port call concerns. 

I had a river cruise from Bucharest to Budapest but was canceled due to Pandemic; going to go again…….Once, once Ukraine quiets down. 

My restrictions on not putting myself or my wife into an area where there is heightened concerns that a group of people could raise.

I Loved Istanbul (and Kusadashi) and felt very safe there, but Id give it a bit of time right now.  

Den

I thank you for your perspective.  So if you avoid certain areas, do you avoid traveling to major cities like New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles etc?  Have you ever been to Mexico?

• Thanks 1

Den

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

I thank you for your perspective.  So if you avoid certain areas, do you avoid traveling to major cities like New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles etc?  Have you ever been to Mexico?

As I posted, enjoy going to Big Cities. And have visited all the ones listed above recently and will again. Being concerned’ with a Turkyish port has nothing to do w visiting such. 

watched a protest crowd marching through Barcelona and had enough sense to step away not knowing what was being protested. 

With Israelies and Palestinians being killed and major protests which include attacking Jews and Muslims or anyone who someone thinks supports them, for me,it’s time to limit where I go a bit. 

heading to Mexico, then Australia and NZ, followed by Ireland and Scotland.  And just came from 2 weeks in France. 

so going overseas, going to enjoy big and little cities. But will limit a bit into Eastern Europe and Middle East…..which Türkiye is part of. 

den

• Like 1

21 hours ago, zitsky said:

If there is an open conflict or legitimate expectation of one, then sure, avoid it.  I think folks are exaggerating the risk of visiting a place like Turkey.  I went there despite it not being LGBT friendly.

How about Carib Island of  Dominica? 

Just back from a cruise with 3 Turkish ports and don't get why people have any issues. Felt as safe as anywhere I've been. Istanbul was beautiful and no issues walking around day or night with my 2 year old.

Unless things change, cruise lines are not going to be cancelling Turkish stops next year. In fact I predict the opposite as it makes a good alternative to other more volatile locations like Israel which may need to be cancelled depending on the situation.

• Like 3

They may - they may not. If you are one of those people who “I only booked this cruise because I wanted to see one specific port in Turkey” , then perhaps booking one of these cruises may not be for you.

Anybody booking these cruises needs to realize that ports - even ports of embarkation/disembarkation are not guaranteed, and may change at short notice. If you are not able to roll with the punches, then you may want to reconsider.

• Like 1

i

7 hours ago, RD64 said:

They may - they may not. If you are one of those people who “I only booked this cruise because I wanted to see one specific port in Turkey” , then perhaps booking one of these cruises may not be for you.

Anybody booking these cruises needs to realize that ports - even ports of embarkation/disembarkation are not guaranteed, and may change at short notice. If you are not able to roll with the punches, then you may want to reconsider.

i think this is very good advice  and the best approach to cruising...roll with the punches! many variables..including weather

• Thanks 1

Just now, hcat said:

i

i think this is very good advice  and the best approach to cruising...roll with the punches! many variables..including weather

some carib ports hit or miss ex.  gr cayman .. costa mayo

1 hour ago, hcat said:

some carib ports hit or miss ex.  gr cayman .. costa mayo

But Istanbul is usually a two day stop and then Ephesus so three days in Turkey. People book for those ports. I probably would not book that itinerary if there was uncertainty. Depends on the other ports. 

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

But Istanbul is usually a two day stop and then Ephesus so three days in Turkey. People book for those ports. I probably would not book that itinerary if there was uncertainty. Depends on the other ports. 

That make sense..

We were lucky to visit Ephesus and the old area in the port.. before things changed..

Luckily our neighbors' family survived the recent earthquake. They are waiting  a bit for their annual visit to Istanbul.

• Like 1

I have a land vacation planned to Turkey for next June.  We will be doing 3 nights in Izmir and 4 nights in Istanbul with additional nights in Cyprus and Venice.  I am just hoping this situation is resolved sooner and does not escalate further.  Unfortunately I also had plans to do a land vacation to Israel and Egypt in October but that will not be happening.  

3 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Has anyone actually looked at a map to see where Istanbul & Kusadasi are located relative to the "hot spots"?

not always  just the location that matters..and who knows where the conflict may spread next.??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Has anyone actually looked at a map to see where Istanbul & Kusadasi are located relative to the "hot spots"?

I doubt it.  Istanbul and Jerusalem are only 700 miles away.  To some people that’s right next door.

On 11/6/2023 at 8:55 AM, newtocruiseinblue said:

I personally would not feel comfortable traveling in Instanbul at the moment but I traveled to Kusadasi a couple of months ago and traveling with a tour group to Ephesus is safe. 

Great you got to Ephesus! One of the places we were fortunate to visit a pre-covid, and as a Catholic, will never forget!!!! 

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, zitsky said:

I doubt it.  Istanbul and Jerusalem are only 700 miles away.  To some people that’s right next door.

I agree that the distance may be small for some and large for others. I am keeping a close eye on what is happening in the region as I have a two week land tour booked to Turkey for next June. I have two Celebrity cruises after the land trip but at the moment my flights to and from Australia are to Istanbul. 

Edited by PurpleTraveller

23 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I would hesitate to go because Turkey supports a terrorist group. 

That was one of my points but to some it matters not!   Focus there changed shortly after we were lucky enough to visit!  It could always switch again..

• Like 1