where to wait after disembarking Port Liberty / Bayonne

trish1c

Friends will disembark around 9 a.m. this Thursday.     We can't pick them up until at least 1- 2 p.m.  because we have to work.  They can't take a taxi / ride share to us because DH works from home & can't take time to let them in / get them settled.  They can't come to my office.   Neither of us has the option to take the day off; we just learned they're coming which is fine if they can be flexible about this.  

I suggested they take a cruise line tour to "waste" time & have Royal Caribbean deal with the luggage.   Is there a diner or something nearby (w/i a mile or 2) where they can wait with luggage?  

Even though we live in NJ, we have never sailed from this port & don't know the area.  

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

50 minutes ago, trish1c said:

Friends will disembark around 9 a.m. this Thursday.     We can't pick them up until at least 1- 2 p.m.  because we have to work.  They can't take a taxi / ride share to us because DH works from home & can't take time to let them in / get them settled.  They can't come to my office.   Neither of us has the option to take the day off; we just learned they're coming which is fine if they can be flexible about this.  

I suggested they take a cruise line tour to "waste" time & have Royal Caribbean deal with the luggage.   Is there a diner or something nearby (w/i a mile or 2) where they can wait with luggage?  

Even though we live in NJ, we have never sailed from this port & don't know the area.  

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

The closest place to wait would be Starbucks on Goldsborough Dr, about 2 miles from the terminal. Since they will be waiting 4 hours or more, Broadway Diner is about 3 miles from the terminal. Rental cars are available in Bayonne.

The Broadway diner sounds perfect! Thank you.  

I am waiting for a call back from the Liberty Science Center to see if they have a coat check that can accommodate large luggage.  

Additional suggestions are still welcome 

1 hour ago, Got2Cruise said:

DH can’t answer the door for 1 minute to let them in if they take an Uber? 

No he can't.  

It's way more than one minute.  It takes 30 - 45 minutes to properly welcome somebody into your home.  To show them to their room; get them a beverage & enable them to acclimate.  DH also has fiduciary responsibilities in his job meaning it would be inappropriate for other people to overhear him on the phone etc.    He can't just open the front door then run back to his office, closing the door &  leaving them completely to their own devices.  

Since these friends surprised us today by saying "hey we're going to be in town from 3,000 miles away on Thursday & expect to stay at your house for 3 days & for you to drive up to the airport after"  I'm not uncomfortable asking them to find something to do until I can clear my schedule to accommodate them.  Hence, I am looking for someplace safe for them to wait.  I suggested they check into a hotel & explore NYC on their own on Thursday & then we'd pick them up on Friday.  They didn't like that idea. 

I was also told that the cost of an Uber to our house was cost prohibited for these "guests" so again, if they don't want to pay $150 to come to us, they can sit & wait.  I'm not heartless.  I am open to trying to help them find someplace safe.  

IMO a diner works.  If they are the stragglers, last folks off the ship, around 10 it will be 10:30 by the time they get to this diner with their luggage so having a snack & playing on their phones until I can get there is not that bad.  

Edited by trish1c

3 hours ago, trish1c said:

The Broadway diner sounds perfect! Thank you.  

I am waiting for a call back from the Liberty Science Center to see if they have a coat check that can accommodate large luggage.  

Additional suggestions are still welcome 

The biggest issue is their luggage. The only other option I can think of and it would be weather dependent is for them to transfer to Jersey City (light rail/taxi/uber),pay for a hotel to watch their bags and spend the day along the waterfront with views of lower Manhattan or take PATH into Manhattan.

Luggage Hero is a storage service, check if they have locations in Jersey City/Bayonne area.

American Dream mall in East Rutherford in the sports complex could easily occupy hours of their time. Lockers are available, I doubt if they have luggage storage.

Edited by meadowlander

Are you kidding?  He can’t let them in and quickly show them where to hang out - just the bedroom they will use so they can nap - 5 minutes ought to do it rather than have them spend several hours at a roadside diner?  You could easily make that clear between now and when they show up - so there would be no need for the 30 - 45 minute orientation session you see as essential.

Of course if you only have a one room house that won’t work.

Are you really willing to put them up for three days - while they are not flexible enough to co-operate?

I think you should consider the option of just telling them that you cannot put them up.

Edited by navybankerteacher

• 2 months later...
On 11/5/2023 at 1:48 AM, trish1c said:

It's all good.  They are fine with going to the diner.  

How did that work out?  Heck, I let friends come into my house and make themselves at home even if I'm not there.  I just make sure there is something to eat/drink and a place for them to hang.  Not a huge production and no reason to be.

• Like 2