JFK and Terminal 1

sambamama

Anyone flying in or out of JFK should check what terminal their flight is going in and out of. If it is terminal 1, you may want to reconsider, or make an alternate arrangement. The Air train station is closed and you must take a shuttle. This can take 90 minutes or more! I have done this three times now in the past year! It is a disaster!!! You may want to fly out of Newark or La Guardia instead. Or, if going to Terminal 1, and coming from Jaimaca Station take an Uber or Lyft instead. 

Let's put this into some perspective.  First off, it should never take that long to get from terminal to terminal - that is, if you think first.  The main shuttle route is from T8 to/from T1, with a secondary shuttle from T4.  What is probably the issue is that the T4 shuttle doesn't run as often as the T8 shuttle.  What one should do is take the AirTrain to T8, then take the shuttle, which runs continuously.

As for your suggestion to use Newark or LaGuardia:  Only three carriers from T1 also fly from Newark.  Air France, Lufthansa and Austrian.  I'm not sure that they will readily change existing tickets just because of a train disruption at T1.  All other carriers don't fly from EWR.

As for LaGuardia -- none of the T1 carriers fly from LGA, considering that T1 is for international carriers and the only international destinations from LGA are Canada, Aruba and Nassau.

• Like 1

I've done it from T8 and it still took 90 minutes. There were waiting lines for the shuttles. Every single time I've used the shuttle it takes 90 minutes to 2 hours. Every time! It turns a 35 minute trip from Penn Station to JFK or the reverse into a nightmare. Maybe going from another airport is not the answer. But perhaps taking an Uber from Jamaica Station if you are traveling inbound speeds up the time. Right now I wish they still had the Airporter. 

18 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

"Frontier Airlines - We Make Spirit Look Gooooood"

Why is it a rule that any time an airline name gets used a second or third time, it's NEVER as good as the first one?

PanAm

Braniff

Eastern

Frontier

National

There are airlines that fly nonstop from Newark. Emirates flies nonstop from Newark to Athens. And for me, its much easier to take Amtrak right to Newark than to get to JFK. There are no easy ways for me to get to JFK or LaGuardia or Boston from where I live and Bradley has extremely limited international options. All I am telling you is every time that I have to use the shuttle and I can't use the Airtrain directly,  it takes 90 minutes or more. Perhaps that is because I'm using it doing rush hour. People from outside the NY area may not realize the Airtrain is not running directly to each tunnel and they need to add extra time. That was my point. 

15 minutes ago, sambamama said:

There are airlines that fly nonstop from Newark. Emirates flies nonstop from Newark to Athens.

And since Emirates uses Terminal 4 at JFK, that has zero relationship with your complaint about Terminal 1.  And Emirates isn't the only carrier flying internationally at EWR, so....

16 minutes ago, sambamama said:

And for me, its much easier to take Amtrak right to Newark than to get to JFK. There are no easy ways for me to get to JFK or LaGuardia or Boston from where I live and Bradley has extremely limited international options.

Aha....it's easier for YOU to use Newark.  Probably also applies to everyone in New Jersey.  But for many, JFK works - either as the start of their journey or as a connection point.

I would almost never take Amtrak to reach a flight.  Unlike your choices.

To each their own.  Choice is good.

• Like 2