NO door decor?

SoloAlaska

I understand NCL has a no door decor policy. I’m just wondering if I bring a single small fridge magnet to identify my room would that be a problem? In a sea of rooms I find it helpful to locate my room especially after a couple of drinks

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Asawi said:

I have heard that it's not allowed, but I haven't heard of it being enforced. I've seen door decors on my cruises this year and they have not been removed.

Perfect thank you so much. I’ll still keep it small and subtle but won’t worry too much then.

10 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

I understand NCL has a no door decor policy. I’m just wondering if I bring a single small fridge magnet to identify my room would that be a problem? In a sea of rooms I find it helpful to locate my room especially after a couple of drinks

There has been extensive door decorations on all of our cruises this year. In our cruise 3 weeks ago, our neighbor had the cabin steward helping getting it up. 

• Haha 2

I saw a pretty large door sign on the Joy a couple of weeks ago. It said something like: "Danger, we have the drink package!" I passed it everyday as it was conspicuous while going up and down the stairs. I don't think you'll have a problem.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

although against ncl rules, there are always tons (ok slight exaggeration) of cabins with decorations on the doors. 

what i dont understand is why you simply cant remember your cabin number. write it down on a slip of paper and keep it in your pocket.

personally, (and this is in no way any type of condemnation)  i hope i never get that drunk where i need a magnet to identify my cabin.  what would you do if someone from ncl came by and removed it from the door? Spend the night in a life boat? 

by the way, if after only a couple of drinks youre in such bad shape you seriously cannot locate your cabin, i strongly suggest you have a couple of cups of strong coffee before heading back

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I saw lots of doors nicely decorated on my last cruise.  This policy might only exist because NCL doesn't want the hassle of dealing with people who are angry when their door decorations are stolen.  We've seen people on these forums asking security to review tapes to find out which passengers stole their decorations.  While I understand the frustration of the victims, I can also understand that NCL doesn't want to deploy resources tracking down magnets that have been stolen.  If door decorations are banned, NCL can turn a blind eye and ignore them while they are hanging but if someone goes to them to complain about theft, NCL can tell them they weren't supposed to be there and therefore they aren't going to investigate it.  I don't decorate my doors because I have small children and don't think it's a good idea to advertise that by putting our family magnets on the door (they have pictures of my kids) - we just hang our magnets in the cabin.  I'd only recommend putting magnets on the doors if they don't have significant sentimental or financial value to you - otherwise keep them inside the cabin (the walls are all magnetic too) like I do (for me its a safety thing for my kids, but I'd only put stuff on the door that I wouldn't be too upset if it got stolen).  If you put a small magnet on the door to identify it easily, then you won't be too upset if it disappears (which is I'm sure all NCL would do if it decided to enforce this policy) so I think its totally fine to try as long as you have no sentimental attachment to your magnet.  

Edited by kitkat343
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

A reasonable plan, but magnets can be moved to nearby doors by fun loving folks who have also had a couple of drinks.  I just bring DW on every cruise and she makes certain that I find my way back from the bar. 😎

disclaimer: I've never moved somebody's magnet to the best of my recollection.🤣

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, complawyer said:

although against ncl rules, there are always tons (ok slight exaggeration) of cabins with decorations on the doors. 

what i dont understand is why you simply cant remember your cabin number. write it down on a slip of paper and keep it in your pocket.

personally, (and this is in no way any type of condemnation)  i hope i never get that drunk where i need a magnet to identify my cabin.  what would you do if someone from ncl came by and removed it from the door? Spend the night in a life boat? 

by the way, if after only a couple of drinks youre in such bad shape you seriously cannot locate your cabin, i strongly suggest you have a couple of cups of strong coffee before heading back

I’m also neurodivergent which makes remembering the number harder. I don’t “need” it but it makes it easier than wondering or having to look it up to make sure. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

A reasonable plan, but magnets can be moved to nearby doors by fun loving folks who have also had a couple of drinks.  I just bring DW on every cruise and she makes certain that I find my way back from the bar. 😎

disclaimer: I've never moved somebody's magnet to the best of my recollection.🤣

If you moved my magnet I’d be honoured 😂 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kitkat343 said:

so I think its totally fine to try as long as you have no sentimental attachment to your magnet.  

I’ve got a free magnet in mind to bring. If it gets stollen I can request a new one or get it replaced in a few months. If someone steals it I hope they love it so much they buy the quilt kit from the company. Making sure not to have anything that identifies myself as a solo traveler on my door is also important for safety reasons.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

our neighbor had the cabin steward helping getting it up.

i’m surprised a cabin steward would provide assistance of, um, such a very special nature. 

what’s next? therapeutic massage?

4 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

I understand NCL has a no door decor policy. 

door decorations are a fire hazard and that’s why NCL has banned them. they also impose one person’s aesthetics on an entire deck’s guests… it’s visual pollution, an eyesore.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, UKstages said:

door decorations are a fire hazard and that’s why NCL has banned them. they also impose one person’s aesthetics on an entire deck’s guests… it’s visual pollution, an eyesore.

I agree with your statement and the policy does make sense. The over the top door decor drives me nuts. 

I’m glad to hear it’s not well enforced however and promise my business card sized magnet is not a fire hazard and you won’t notice it while walking by.

I would also say some peoples attire is visual pollution and an eyesore yet no one would dare say anything.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

i disembarked from the joy today after a 19-day back to back. sadly, there were lots of door decor, much of it juvenile and tasteless. i did see a few cabins with small magnets.

i’m not a fire marshall and I don’t play one on TV, but some magnets are highly flammable, as is the paper or decorative covering that can be found on most novelty magnets.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UKstages said:

i disembarked from the joy today after a 19-day back to back. sadly, there were lots of door decor, much of it juvenile and tasteless. i did see a few cabins with small magnets.

i’m not a fire marshall and I don’t play one on TV, but some magnets are highly flammable, as is the paper or decorative covering that can be found on most novelty magnets.

So is some clothing 😂. Now I’m tempted to try to burn a magnet to see how it goes. If there’s a fire large enough onboard to light the magnet there are bigger hazards to worry about. I’m not a fire marshal but I was a firefighter briefly funnily enough.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, complawyer said:

I got a good laugh reading this one.  I can identify with the person who couldnt remember his cabin number.    Next time I plan to write it on my keycard but I didnt have a sharpie with me this time.  Some people are more organized than others lol.   I  think the OP was just being humorous by the "after a few drinks" part.    

• Like 1

5 hours ago, complawyer said:

Careful there. My SO has dementia but with my special care, he can still cruise. Having a small magnet on the door helps him find our room. I try to never leave him on his own but just in case. So, some folks can’t simply remember their room. You’re lucky you and yours can.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SoloAlaska said:

I agree with your statement and the policy does make sense. The over the top door decor drives me nuts. 

I’m glad to hear it’s not well enforced however and promise my business card sized magnet is not a fire hazard and you won’t notice it while walking by.

I would also say some peoples attire is visual pollution and an eyesore yet no one would dare say anything.

I agree with your last statement.   And I will add that if door decorations bother someone, then dont look at the doors going past them. Who cares what is on other passenger's cabin doors unless it comes out and grabs you as you pass by.  I found some of  them amusing, others gave a neutral  impresson. Now if people post political stuff that could cause some problems.  But again, dont look.

• Like 2