NCL stock went down over 5% today.

Topdog52

On 11/6/2023 at 3:34 PM, Topdog52 said:

Ncl lost .70 today and it has been drifting lower. The more NCL takes away from their cruises, the more people will shy away!! 

MSC and some of the other cruise lines are starting to look a little better. 

NCL cancels Epic sailings from 12.1.2023 to 4.9.2024 for "Fleet Redeployment"

I wonder if there'll be other cancellations... I don't mean just Epic

The stock is up .66 since this was posted.  Does this mean people are booking again?  Is NCL looking better now that the stock higher.  

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Liljo22 said:

The stock is up .66 since this was posted.  Does this mean people are booking again?  Is NCL looking better now that the stock higher.  

.66 in two days?  Nice.  I'm buying 100,000 shares.  That means I'll make over $8M in a year.  😎

disclaimer: hopefully I didn't screw up the math (again)🤣

• Haha 5

11 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

No, it just goes to prove that the OP has no clue about how meaningless a one day price move for any given srock is in most instances.  He is probably one of those silly day traders.

14 hours ago, MoCruiseFan said:

No, it just goes to prove that the OP has no clue about how meaningless a one day price move for any given srock is in most instances.  He is probably one of those silly day traders.

It was a two day move, so it's officially a "trend."  🤣

disclaimer: I'm not sure anybody is being serious in this thread.

1 hour ago, MoCruiseFan said:

I was speaking of the 5% the OP mentioned that was one day, which could have been easily deduced by the wording of the post I made.

My bad.  I had kind of lost interest in really following this silly thread.  To your point, people drawing conclusions from short term market moves know nothing.  That said, Jack Bogle also said that when it comes to the stock market, nobody knows nothing.  About all we know is that domestic stocks (as a whole) have never failed to provide excellent returns in the long term.  Many of us have hitched our wagon to the idea that this will continue.  Beyond that?  Pfffttt......

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

My bad.  I had kind of lost interest in really following this silly thread.  To your point, people drawing conclusions from short term market moves know nothing.  That said, Jack Bogle also said that when it comes to the stock market, nobody knows nothing.  About all we know is that domestic stocks (as a whole) have never failed to provide excellent returns in the long term.  Many of us have hitched our wagon to the idea that this will continue.  Beyond that?  Pfffttt......

Unless the Dilution is so bad that the stock has no chance for recovery. If it does it will take years.

The Pandemic killed this stock, but Del Rio and the big wigs got their huge Bonus from the Dilution. 

14 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

Unless the Dilution is so bad that the stock has no chance for recovery. If it does it will take years.

The Pandemic killed this stock, but Del Rio and the big wigs got their huge Bonus from the Dilution. 

So Jack Bogle didn't know what he was talking about?

17 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

True.

I’d say that you and I have become close enough to NCL given our mutual extensive experience with them that we can see how they are navigating their financial waters.  All puns intended!

NCL is doing as well, if not better, than all the other cruise lines.

Financially, I’m not worried about them.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

True.

I’d say that you and I have become close enough to NCL given our mutual extensive experience with them that we can see how they are navigating their financial waters.  All puns intended!

Financially, I’m not worried about them.  

Really! 6 months ago NCL stock was about $5 a share higher than Carnival. Today it is about 45 cents higher. 

Edited by Topdog52

29 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Here's a five year comparison of NCLH to CCL:

image.thumb.png.8b54ef6682809602b7312f2522342eb8.png

The readers can draw their own conclusions.

Exactly. You can see how NCL was much higher than Carnival. Then it starting to where carnival is today. This stock will never go up to where it was, and if it starts to They will start diluting it some  more. 

Edited by Topdog52

so what have we learned here, folks?

my takeaway is that katy perry and luis fonsi may not be nearly as popular as NCL thought they were. if you chart the stock dips, you will no doubt see that the stock plummets after each of their recent appointments.

we can only hope somebody in miami has convinced taylor swift to be the godmother of the aqua.

she saved the NFL, surely she can save NCL.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Topdog52 said:

Exactly. You can see how NCL was much higher than Carnival. Then it starting to where carnival is today. This stock will never go up to where it was, and if it starts to They will start diluting it some  more. 

Can’t follow your logic.   But, if you’re that nervous, you probably shouldn’t cruise at all, on any cruise line!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone who is worried about losing their "investment" in shares of NCL stock (okay, NCLH) shouldn't even be investing in the stock market, period. 

I took the plunge yesterday and bought my 100 shares at $12.80. If I'm going to lose sleep over $1280 (of which it will probably go up, anyway) then I should not have done it. 

There's a saying on CC that you should only spend money on cruises that you can afford to lose. If you can't afford the cruise, don't book the cruise. If you can't afford the stock, don't buy the stock. Simple.

• Like 1

My 100 shares were a Christmas/birthday gift from my son a few years ago. As a frequent cruiser I call it the gift that keeps on giving - I've gotten more obc than the cost of the stock...

BUT I do have some major concerns for NCL. I'm currently on the Breakaway Rome/Greece cruise. Both the Athens port and Florence port of call were cancelled "due to weather." In both cases MSC ship on same route made it into ports. For many this was "the trip of a lifetime" that they saved for years to afford, mostly for the two cancelled ports. So many people are angry/complaining/ Never Again with NCL comments. In the past during similar bad weather they pushed ahead during the night to make up lost time and spent the fuel to full throttle to port. It seems to me that the short sighted skipping of major ports may not be the best fiscal decision by corporate. 

• Like 1

except the decision isn't made by corporate. it's made by the captain, who then informs corporate, and maybe even consults with corporate along the way (and they may offer an opinion), but ultimately it's the captain's decision.

and it's based on a number of factors, with guest satisfaction usually somewhere at the bottom of the list. the safety of the crew, the ship and its passengers is usually of paramount concern. without knowing particulars, it's difficult to say why one ship was able to get to port and another wasn't. my best guess is that it was not a fiscal decision based on saving fuel or money, but one borne of safety concerns due to winds and some sort of inclement weather. i can't say why the breakaway wasn't able to get to port, but the MSC ships were... but it's never an apples to apples comparison. in the end, it's risk assessment and a lot of that has to do with what the captain believes to be true 18 - 36 hours out. the MSC ships and the breakaway each have different captains. and each ship may not have faced the very same weather challenges, nor could the ships have been prepared to handle those challenges in the same way.

i've been on a lot of cruises on which there were skipped ports. in fact, i've never been to great stirrup cay (which i understand may not be that great), even though it's been on my itinerary for three cruises.  it's always been canceled due to weather. on my most recent cruise, we skipped. st. maarten.

as upsetting as these things can be... it's just what happens when cruising.

Edited by UKstages

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

i've never been to great stirrup cay (which i understand may not be that great), even though it's been on my itinerary for three cruises.

I guess I've been lucky.  We're two for three at GSC.  That said, if we miss it during our upcoming cruise, I'll be fine with that (as long as nobody makes me get off the ship in Nassau).  I'll just hang in the bar, thank you.😎

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 1:11 PM, graphicguy said:

I suggest anyone listening to statements like these read the 10K for themselves and do the comparisons.

With that said, this stock is hovering around $13. Anyone investing in 100 shares for the tax-free OBC should be in a position to lose $1,300 without too much hardship. Or, you perhaps shouldn't be playing in the market at all, especially one as volatile as this.

• Like 1