Tips for Tulum Ruins trip ???

Mum2Mercury

We've long been interested in seeing Tulum, and we're finally going to do it on our next cruise.  Because of the travel time, I'm not sure it's the best outing, so we're going with the ship's excursions -- something we never do!  This is going to be a long day, and I want to be sure I understand what's going to happen.  I'd appreciate any help y'all can give -- and if "I don't know what I don't know", please tell me.  Thanks in advance. 

- Royal Caribbean offers three separate Tulum trips:  One with a visit to a Cenote, one with shopping in Playa Del Carmen, and one with a beach break.  I'm not particularly drawn to any of the three.  We're not souvenier people, and I don't think we'll particularly want to swim. Is the beach break right there AT the ruins?  If so, that might be the best because we wouldn't have to transfer to another area.  I'm interested in hearing anyone's experience because I am still considering all three.   

- How do we get from the ship to the ferry?  (And then back at the end of the trip.)  

- How much time did you actually have at the ruins?  I keep seeing varying information on this.  

- The filming fee doesn't apply to cell phones or simple point-and-shoot cameras, does it?  

- What kind of lunch does this trip include?  

- I read that this place can be "scorching hot".  Will this be true in mid-November?  

- Are mosquitoes a problem at the ruins?  

- I saw a You Tube that said you need to buy water /use the rest room in the shops because they have none in the ruins themselves.  Do I understand that these shops are just outside the entrance to the ruins?  

Again, thanks in advance. 

We’ve only been to the Mayan ruins of Tulum while living near PDC so cannot comment on the actual cruise line excursion. But some notes…

Typical excursions provide transfers between the ship/ferry and ferry/ruins.
On most land-based tours, the beach portion is indeed the beach at the bottom of the stairway at the ruins. Beautiful beach, but no amenities last I knew although that may have changed.

I would pass on the Playa Del Carmen shopping version. You have similar shopping in San Miguel (Cozumel).

The cenote choice would likely be Azul since it is on the way to the ruins, but it could be Grand Cenote near Tulum…Our favorite cenote to take visiting friends to is Jardin del Eden next to Azul - much less touristy, but a longer drive from the highway…But locals will make that walk from the colectivo just to avoid the busier vibe at Azul…

The entry area (before the ruins) has grown significantly in the past several years, with many eateries and bars, a ton of shops, and even a skybar. So once your van parks you will likely be led through this busy area enroute to the actual ruins entrance. I assume you will have time after for eating or shopping…

Yes, the ruins site gets very hot in the afternoon and there is no shade so bring or buy water before entering the ruins. A umbrella or wide-brimmed hat is  recommended…

Once you enter the ruins area there are no restrooms or other amenities. There are restrooms just before you enter the ruins. Mosquitoes are not usually a problem there, at least in our experiences, but the guide can better answer that.

Most tours take video and photos during the excursion and offer that at a price. But you can use your phone or camera everywhere you go…

strongly suggest obtaining pesos to use for any spending/tipping. Foreign currencies are accepted, of course, just better for you and the locals…

Edited by blue_water
Typos

@Mum2Mercurywe did the RCCL excursion to Tulum in June 2017 on Liberty OTS. I realize that's a long time ago (pre-Covid) but that doesn't change the distance and time it takes from the ship to Tulum. I'd definitely do the ship's excursion. In our case, there was a fairly torrential rainstorm while we were on the bus back to the ferry. We got soaked and I'm almost positive were among the last passengers back on board.

We did the bus to Tulum with the beach break and it was lovely. The ruins are incredible, especially being right there on the water. There was a shopping area with restrooms as you entered with your tour guide; however, the restrooms didn't have flush toilets. It had toilets you could sit down on but you had to put the TP in a trash can (as I recall). 

The beach break included lunch which was really good. Not the biggest amount of food but it was very tasty. Our teenage son got in the water, but we were only there maybe an hour to an hour and a half, and I didn't necessarily want to get wet and sandy.  

Some of the details may have changed by now, but the main thing I can offer is to definitely do the ship's tour, just because of the length of time the day takes. 

Agree with your choice of doing this through the cruise line. There can be a delay for any number of reasons, including traffic getting out of and especially back into Playa centro. And since our first visit to the Tulum ruins 20+ years ago when there were only a very few vendors and a couple of restaurants, the vendor complex has exploded in size and it takes awhile just to get to the entrance to the ruins. 

It’s worth the time and effort IMHO, the vast majority of day visitors never get to see this Mayan city…

3 hours ago, blue_water said:

Agree with your choice of doing this through the cruise line. There can be a delay for any number of reasons, including traffic getting out of and especially back into Playa centro. And since our first visit to the Tulum ruins 20+ years ago when there were only a very few vendors and a couple of restaurants, the vendor complex has exploded in size and it takes awhile just to get to the entrance to the ruins. 

It’s worth the time and effort IMHO, the vast majority of day visitors never get to see this Mayan city…

Have the security issues around Tulum improved? I know it was bad there 18-24 months ago but haven’t been following it much recently.

Edited by c-leg5

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Have the security issues around Tulum improved? I know it was bad there 18-24 months ago but haven’t been following it much recently.

You’re right, Tulum became the new “hotspot” 3 - 4 years ago, and the cartels follow the $$. The cartels are very active, especially in the beach area. In Playa the cartels are pretty well entrenched, or established, and we still see shootings right on 5th Ave and elsewhere. The cartels are still turf fighting in Tulum so yes, we don’t recommend Tulum to friends.

We talk to folks who own there or stay every year and they are very defensive of course. But you do need to be aware of the situation, and of course the vast majority of visitors are not. The odds of being caught up in the violence is slim, but…And it’s now sooo expensive there as well. Not the Tulum we knew…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But I should have added that the excursion to the ruins is not a problem and I would have no concerns going there. It’s just I wouldn’t suggest staying in the Tulum area to friends, there are just better choices today if looking for the Tulum of 25 years ago…

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Sad to hear.  There used to be some great restaurants in the town if you were staying there.🙁

Yes, for sure…
And don’t get me wrong - thousands of visitors flock to Tulum every week or month! It’s just gotten to be like Playa as that became one of the fastest growing tourist areas in the world…

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the cruise line excursion vs DIY, most folks will indeed want the security of the cruise line excursion, and that is certainly understandable. This is a multi-transfer excursion. But for more “seasoned” travelers going on your own is worth the effort, if for no other reason than the flexibility that provides, as well as avoiding the inevitable queues during transfers. Not for everyone, but certainly a viable option with a long enough port time, and using a reputable tour outfit based in Playa…

Edited by blue_water
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Yes, very doable DIY. But a lot depends on time the cruise ship is in Cozumel. And return ferry times.

Yes to both, most definitely, Especially the ferry schedules! Ultramar and Winjet alternate their departure/return times on odd/even days so you’d need to look at that carefully…

Thanks for the information, All!  We've chosen the Ruins + Beach Break, and -- though I am usually in favor of private tours -- we never considered anything except the ship's tour for this lengthy /multi-transportation excursion. 

What I'm still not clear on:  How do we get from the ship to the ferry?  Yeah, yeah, typically the ship shuttles you over ... but does anyone know for certain just how this works?  

10 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

What I'm still not clear on:  How do we get from the ship to the ferry?  Yeah, yeah, typically the ship shuttles you over ... but does anyone know for certain just how this works?  

There are multiple cruise vessel docks in Cozumel. One of them, Punt Langosta, is in the center of the city, and to get to the ferry pier one walks a very short distance. That said, however, Royal Caribbean International vessels typically tie up at the International Cruise Terminal, about three miles south of the city. Persons transferring between the International Cruise Terminal and the ferry pier downtown typically travel by taxi, the fare being USD 8.00 each way (per taxi, not per person). Usually there is no shuttle provided by the cruise line. With a paid tour this transfer might be included, but you would have to look at the tour description. Where is the tour meeting point advertised to be?

If one needs to make an individual taxi arrangement from the International Cruise Terminal to the ferry pier, and an individual ferry arrangement from the ferry pier to Playa del Carmen, then it seems to me that a "tour" from Playa del Carmen to Tulum, particularly one that also packages with it an undesired additional "attraction," would not be worthwhile. Travel by bus or collectivo from Playa del Carmen to Tulum would provide greater flexibility and value, though without the hand holding that a tour might offer.

12 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

57 minutes ago, GTJ said:

There are multiple cruise vessel docks in Cozumel. One of them, Punt Langosta, is in the center of the city, and to get to the ferry pier one walks a very short distance. That said, however, Royal Caribbean International vessels typically tie up at the International Cruise Terminal, about three miles south of the city. Persons transferring between the International Cruise Terminal and the ferry pier downtown typically travel by taxi, the fare being USD 8.00 each way (per taxi, not per person). Usually there is no shuttle provided by the cruise line. With a paid tour this transfer might be included, but you would have to look at the tour description. Where is the tour meeting point advertised to be?

If one needs to make an individual taxi arrangement from the International Cruise Terminal to the ferry pier, and an individual ferry arrangement from the ferry pier to Playa del Carmen, then it seems to me that a "tour" from Playa del Carmen to Tulum, particularly one that also packages with it an undesired additional "attraction," would not be worthwhile. Travel by bus or collectivo from Playa del Carmen to Tulum would provide greater flexibility and value, though without the hand holding that a tour might offer.

Most Royal ships dock at International pier. Some smaller older ones will dock at Langosta.

I have never taken a mainland excursion but assuming there are no recent changes from what I have seen the cruise lines always  charters a ferry that goes from the individual cruise docks. The mainland part of the tour is on chartered buses. At the end of the day the return ferry brings them back to the port. There is no transfer to the ferry pier in town. Numerous times I have watched the late arrival of the return ferry and the ship has been late leaving after waiting for it. This is why it is advisable to stick with ship excursions to the mainland.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, c-leg5 said:

I have never taken a mainland excursion but assuming there are no recent changes from what I have seen the cruise lines always  charters a ferry that goes from the individual cruise docks. The mainland part of the tour is on chartered buses. At the end of the day the return ferry brings them back to the port. There is no transfer to the ferry pier in town.

Given the variations between the cruise lines, I decided to take a look at a recent video showing some of the details with respect to a Tulum ruins tour operated from a Royal Caribbean International vessel. It shows RCI vessels at the International Cruise Terminal, with a chartered Winjet ferry using the adjacent ferry pier. Once in Playa del Carmen, tour participants walk from the ferry pier via Av. Benito Juárez, Calle 1 Sur bis, 10 Av. Sur, Calle 1 Sur, to a small bus terminal located between 15 Av. Sur and 20 Av. Sur, about 0.6 km (0.4 miles), a 10-minute walk. Curiously, the walk to the bus terminal is slightly longer than the walk an independent traveler would have going to the ADO Terminal Turística on 5 Av. Norte at Av. Benito Juárez. The buses are chartered from TouringCoach Expressos, a large and reliable charter company with several locations, including one in Playa del Carmen. The details for other cruise lines and vessels may vary. In sum, it can be difficult trying to disaggregate the operating details of a complete tour, in part because the tour operators want to have the flexibility to change the details in the event of changed circumstances or conditions, which them leaves those of us with an interest in logistics frustrated.

Thanks for the info, All. 

Yes, we're going with the cruise ship tour.  In general, I dislike cruise ship tours, but I have enough self-preservation in me to avoid "going it on my own" when the trip involves a ferry, a bus and a trip to the mainland -- and I don't speak Spanish.  

We're sailing on Wonder, so I assume we're docking at the International pier.  We were in Cozumel at the International pier just last month, so I'm familiar with it -- yes, it's certainly large enough that a ferry could easily pull up to the pier along with the cruise ships.  In fact, last month we saw an ambulance drive down the pier and take someone away from a Carnival ship -- but that's off topic.  

I'm hoping the ferry will come right to the port as C-legs5 says, and since I know this is a popular tour, that makes sense; but -- just in case, I'm going to have taxi fare in my pocket (and I know you can't swing a dead cat in Cozumel without hitting a taxi).  I'm proactive that way.  Now I'm going to watch that video that GTJ shared.  

Again, thanks, All!  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

21 hours ago, blue_water said:

Enjoy! It will be a fascinating experience!

Oh, I'm sure!  

I've seen Mayan pyramids in Central Mexico -- back when you were allowed to climb them.  FYI:  The steps are so small that we had to turn our feet sideways, and I wear a small shoe size!  I'm sure Tulum will be absolutely fascinating and (almost certainly) a once in a lifetime event.  

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/16/2023 at 10:48 AM, Kellie in Texas said:

Some of the details may have changed by now, but the main thing I can offer is to definitely do the ship's tour, just because of the length of time the day takes. 

I agree! 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, BlueSkiesTX said:

I agree! 

@Mum2Mercury chose the cruise line excursion, and as mentioned most folks will indeed want the security of the cruise line excursion, and that is certainly understandable since this is a multi-transfer excursion from the island to the mainland.

Others will certainly opt for a non-cruise line option, either through a respected independent outfit, or if more seasoned, on their own. We are very familiar with both Cozumel and the Riviera Maya and getting around so we are obviously more comfortable with a DIY excursion and can share tips to help with that…

Actually, for anyone really wanting to avoid the cruise line option, the Mayan ruins of Tulum - and other options - are really a very easy and safe DIY option. We have shared our favorite taxi driver with many others visiting the area looking for day trips and excursions, including those coming over from Coz while on land vacations or cruises. Just a wonderful gentleman who everyone loves and leaves great remarks on. He would personally meet you when you arrive at the PDC ferry terminal, and be with you until your return to the terminal. 
Just a thought for someone desiring that option…Not for everyone, but for some…😄

Edited by blue_water
Typo!