REVIEW of Seabourn Ovation, Barcelona-Civitavecchia,10/29-11/5/23

Catlover54

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic."

Catlover54 was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

Bottomline:  It was overall a pleasant cruise, with mostly good food, service, and facilities.

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=708178&stay=1&posfrom=1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

When I visit that link, using Safari, I only see the ports and boarding process reviewed. I can't find how to move from that page. 🤔

Anyway, I was interested to read it as my understanding was that catlover hated most every apect of their previous experience on SB so I'm surprised they took another SB cruise...

Edited by Isklaar
  • Like 1

Catlover, thanks for the review. Having been in the same SB Quest cruise with you in September 2022, I have appreciated your harsh but fair observations. I have also read some of your reviews of other cruise lines. I am glad to hear that you found SB, as least on the Ovation, has improved. I have also found that SB has improved in my Alaskan cruise this year.

• Like 1

What the review tells me is that Seabourn Ovation has a ways to go in the quality/competitive universe. Getting quality room service food on time, receiving accurate information and generous service from the Square, and having access to an MDR for all meals with adequately spaced tables are fundamental to a real luxury cruise experience, and hardly too much for us to expect! (I hardly believe I have to make this point!)

And I hasten to add that I respect and appreciate the poster’s effort to make the lapses clear with an appropriate amount of context. So… thank you.

Happy and healthy sailing!

2 hours ago, markandjie said:

It's confusing, you have to click read more at the end of the boarding paragraph.Screenshot_20231108-070204.thumb.png.8e1f6a63223d2a3bf54c6c006a7a4455.png

Thank you! I scrolled as I read the port reviews and expected to move through the review from there. I've never had a similar isssue when reading previous  reviews here. Now looking forward  to read the review in full, rhanks again. 

Thank you Catlover for taking the time to present an informative and balanced review. I believe it would be interesting for all SB cruisers, i.e  those new to SB, current cruisers and those of us who have been unable to cruise in recent years. 

Finally had the time to read your review Catlover54. Thank you for taking the time to be so thorough. I followed you on your previous SB journey, and I am really happy that this experience for the most part met and exceeded your expectations. It seems like this time, in almost all areas, the needle moved in a positive direction for you. 

I wasn’t really surprised at your excursions experiences. We just haven’t found them to be much different from line to line. We had hoped for a better experience when we sailed on Quest earlier this year. I think the problem is that there are just so many companies from which to choose, and as a result cruise lines pretty much use the same big busses and often mediocre experience. Maybe you and others have noted this not to necessarily be true, but ship excursions are just not our go-to because of what you described. Aside from excursions (we took two) our time with SB was really quite lovely. We look forward to our next SB cruise in the Spring. 

Another thank you for the thorough review.  As we board Ovation in a week's time, it is helpful to have a current view of the baseline expectation and potential shortcomings.

I have never been impressed with the excursions offered on Seabourn.  In fact, I've twice ended up with a refund of excursion fees because the actual excursion fell far short of what was described. Based on past experiences, I think they have particular execution issues in ports they don't frequent repeatedly in a season as they are relying more heavily on the local operators to provide accurate information.  Similarly, excursions that are "new" to Seabourn or in a port they are returning to after a long absence can be dicey. We had that issue being on one of the earliest sailings in the Alaska "return" season in 2017 - the local operators were pros, but used to servicing Princess and HAL passengers, not Seabourn passengers, so they didn't understand that they couldn't jam us into their full capacity on busses - or combine our small group with another large cruise operator for efficiency.  I've also found that being in the Mediterranean on the very early/very late edges of shoulder season leads to quite a few issues with closures.  

Cruise line excursions, be they Seabourn and the "included excursions" on Silversea and Regent, are generally not for us. Although we have from time to time used the so-called "on your own" transfers into a city or town to meet a private guide.  We have taken a few very special "extra cost" excursions where we have been assured that the head count is low but we prefer to hire private guides.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toseaornottosea said:

Cruise line excursions, be they Seabourn and the "included excursions" on Silversea and Regent, are generally not for us. Although we have from time to time used the so-called "on your own" transfers into a city or town to meet a private guide.  We have taken a few very special "extra cost" excursions where we have been assured that the head count is low but we prefer to hire private guides.  

Sounds just like how we always travelled. I am finding it more difficult to find private guides post Covid though.