What to do...I don't even know where to begin :(

mitsugirly

We have only been here once with our large family group and we went to the Baths. I wouldn't mind going again to get a better experience this time around (the entire family is not coming this time around) but we are only in port from 6am-1pm. WHATTHEHECK! 😶  This is really throwing me off. I don't think there would be enough time to visit the Baths and actually enjoy a day there with all the travel to get there and back and last time we did it on our own. (I recently seen a video of a ship excursion by a couple that was told "you get 45 minutes on one side, make your way to the other side, then 45 minutes there" only for everyone to get to the first beach, put their things down and told to "come on, time to go" and the same happening on the other side. I'm not sure I wanna experience something like that with a ship tour). 

I thought about doing a Discover Scuba, but with those times, I have already been turned down by 1 (so far) because of the times. Anyone know of a good dive company we could use? I seen that there were 2 close to the dock and have emailed a total of 3 companies so far. I'm just not sure it will work with our time in port. ??

Any other suggestions on what to do here so darn early in the morning? 😞 We are beach/water people so even snorkeling at a decent beach would be a plus. 

Or is this port just a wash? Ugh! 

Tortola is a beautiful island with different land and sea experiences, and is well worth exploring for those with the time. This early/short port time just doesn’t allow you time to enjoy one of those well without a private option…

Short of hiring a private driver for a tour and to hit a more remote beach like Smuggler’s Cove, a private charter to get dropped at the Baths before your fellow cruisers arrive, or getting lucky with an early daysail with Aristocat, Kuralu or Patouche to the Indians and Norman Caves, a Tortola beach is probably your best option.

We head to Smuggler’s Cove or Long Bay, West End when ships are in port as they are a bit more secluded and offer less amenities than CGB. If we were on this early cruise and wanted snorkeling we’d head to Brewers Bay based on others’ experiences…

Would you be interested in surfing lessons in Josiah’s Bay?

9 hours ago, blue_water said:

Tortola is a beautiful island with different land and sea experiences, and is well worth exploring for those with the time. This early/short port time just doesn’t allow you time to enjoy one of those well without a private option…

Short of hiring a private driver for a tour and to hit a more remote beach like Smuggler’s Cove, a private charter to get dropped at the Baths before your fellow cruisers arrive, or getting lucky with an early daysail with Aristocat, Kuralu or Patouche to the Indians and Norman Caves, a Tortola beach is probably your best option.

We head to Smuggler’s Cove or Long Bay, West End when ships are in port as they are a bit more secluded and offer less amenities than CGB. If we were on this early cruise and wanted snorkeling we’d head to Brewers Bay based on others’ experiences…

Would you be interested in surfing lessons in Josiah’s Bay?

Thanks for the information Blue. I appreciate it. Not really wanting to hire anything private or a daysail (I did look them up) due to the price per person. We will be there in December and since it's so close to Christmas, those prices are just not something I'm willing to pay at this time. 

I will check out the beaches you mentioned. How far of a drive are these beaches? Easy to get a taxi from them?

Surfing probably wouldn't be something we are interested in at this time. 

I just hate these hours. Who came up with this??? :classic_sad:

I've been researching these forums and seen this mentioned...

"We just got off the Escape with the same 6am to 1pm stop. All-aboard time was 12:30pm and we're not cut-it-close people. We were looking for a hike and found a company called Hike BVI. Our guide was Sef and he was fantastic. We met him at 8:00am (there was no way our teenage kids would have been up any earlier) and he drove us to the hike starting point. Sef was very knowledgable about the island history, the flora and fauna, etc. so we learned a lot as we went. The hike he chose for us (Bat Cave) offered stunning views of the island. After the hike he took the long way back to the port so we could see more of the island. He dropped us off around 11:45am giving us plenty of time to get back onboard."  by @webwise 

and also  

"Just back from our cruise and booked Hike BVI (Sef) on your recommendation. Had a wonderful hike, thank you for sharing your experience." by @cruisin4familyfun 

I looked at their website and it might be a possibility. Know anything about this Blue or anyone else?

Edited by mitsugirly

Yes, Knowing Kim’s history she would probably love one of the east daysails that include the Indians, Norman Caves and the WT or the Bight…
One way of making that happen with these port times is by taking a private powerboat charter, and finding others on the Roll Call forum to share the costs. This is definitely a challenging port time for many…

Patouche offers that option, as does Sunshine Powerboats.

https://patouche.com/

https://sunshinepowerboats.com/

Dive BVI is a popular outfit, and I’m sure you’ve looked at them…

Edited by blue_water
  • Like 1

Doing a boat trip like that does sound exciting but when I look them up, they are mad expensive and with it being just the 3 of us, it's just not in the cards. 

I've contacted so many of the dive companies and they've all said that there's not enough time for a dive with our ship hours in port. 😞  The only one that was willing to take us wants $600 and will only do a charter boat for up to 6 divers. They won't just take us 3. 

I'm thinking we may just do the hike with VI. At this point, we are running out of time to find something. I just hate these hours. 

I have been following you for a long time (that sounds creepy 😁). We are also in port 6:00-2:00 and want to snorkel. Thinking of a cab to Brewers or break down and take the NCL Normans snorkel excursion. I don’t like the ship excursions but port time is so short!

14 hours ago, KarimaJ said:

I have been following you for a long time (that sounds creepy 😁). We are also in port 6:00-2:00 and want to snorkel. Thinking of a cab to Brewers or break down and take the NCL Normans snorkel excursion. I don’t like the ship excursions but port time is so short!

You don’t need to be apprehensive about just hopping a taxi on your own. The drivers do this everyday and your driver will tell you what time to expect him back for you. 
Enjoy Brewers Bay! 😄

• Like 1