No more local shuttles at the dock for Mendenhall Glacier?

surgie

I am exploring options for getting to the glacier and have appreciated your help in the questions I've posed here. Local bus plus walking is not an option for our group.

I reached out to a tour provider who responded the info below. Is it already known that there won't be local dock shuttles in 2024? I'm assuming he/she is correct but wanted to double check.

Our company is in fact the one you would work with to DIY. The problem is that due to limited permits at the park, the price has gone up, there is no longer a $45 shuttle. We are the least expensive way to get a group to the park, your only other options are taxi or car rental. The cruise line offers a shuttle to the glacier park for double what we charge.

The Whatsinport website indicated that one can take a local bus to Mendenhall Glacier Park. It appears to travel Mendenhall Loop but leaves you about 1.5 miles away from the visitor center along Glacier Spur Rd. Is that site's info outdated or just wrong? The same website said direct shuttles were $20 r/t, now there isn't one at more than twice that price? 

We're visiting the end of April, and just a bit taken aback at how pricy excursions and other activities are in Juneau relative to what we've already booked in Sitka and Ketchikan. 

1 hour ago, ciabelle said:

The Whatsinport website indicated that one can take a local bus to Mendenhall Glacier Park. It appears to travel Mendenhall Loop but leaves you about 1.5 miles away from the visitor center along Glacier Spur Rd. Is that site's info outdated or just wrong? The same website said direct shuttles were $20 r/t, now there isn't one at more than twice that price? 

We're visiting the end of April, and just a bit taken aback at how pricy excursions and other activities are in Juneau relative to what we've already booked in Sitka and Ketchikan. 

the local bus is a mile or so walk. which is the first option. you have to get to that bus as well which involves a bit of walking from the port. 

The $20 r/t bus is outdated. it is more expensive, but they ran out of permits last year. This one i've usually taken right outside the cruise ship where they dock. You might be ok early in the season if htey limit again next year.

• Like 2