Need advice! Which would you go on?!

Jkeirsten1

14 hours ago, Jkeirsten1 said:

I'm looking at 2 different cruises which would you prefer? And why? 

Carnival Glory out of New Orleans built in 2003 itinerary includes Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel

Or

Carnival Jubilee out of Galveston built in 2023 itinerary includes Mahogany Bay, Costa Maya and Cozumel

Both are around the same price and both ports are about 3 hours from home. 

If you have a review in the Carnival Glory please don't hesitate to let me know

If I were picking for myself, I'd have a tough time choosing.  I like the Conquest class of ships and am well used to them, though the Glory is the only one I haven't sailed on.  I haven't sailed on any of Carnival's XL class of ships yet. They might be TOO BIG for my liking, though with their size comes some nice amenities - like extra places to hang out and different places to eat.

The ports aren't the best.  I haven't been to MoBay, though I have been to Falmouth and Ocho Rios in Jamaica.  I choose other ways to visit my slush funds other than by cruise ship, so Grand Cayman get a "meh" from me.  I've been to both Costa Maya and Cozumel a lot and I'm running out of interesting things to do in both places.

But enough about me.  If I were picking FOR YOU, based on what you've revealed about yourself so far, I'd pick the Jubilee at the same price.  It's a nice and new ship that has a lot of stuff.  The ports have fun things to do - especially for a first visit.

Be sure not to book your cruise when you're too far along.  Have a great trip!

• Like 1

Cruising is great and it may be an easier choice for those of us that have cruised for quite some time as we all have our preferences when cruising and know the ins and outs pretty well. That being said, you have a few other variables that you may need to put some thought into before deciding.  

You will be pregnant and have a 1 year old.  Research the ports, do they dock or do you tender to the port, important especially if you plan to take your toddler with you to port (we dont choose to tender in most ports nowadays and feel it can be a hassle both ways and very crowded).  The Jubilee is a huge ship, we have sailed on the Mardi Gras (love it and about to sail her again in 4 weeks) BUT I never sailed a huge ship like that pregnant.  Many decks and so much walking, we do not use elevators at all on any ship but if you do, you may have to spend a lot of cruise time waiting for them (and they can be shoulder to shoulder crowded inside).  Just getting back and forth to your cabin will be time consuming and possibly exhausting being pregnant.    

My college age son has been cruising since he was a toddler, naps were a big thing and keeping him on schedule somewhat so that we (and everyone around us) could fully enjoy our vacation.  We always booked a balcony cabin as one of us (took turns) would go back to cabin for nap time and once he fell asleep we could go out on the balcony to read while he slept.  That extra space was a life saver and we never felt we were stuck in a cabin while he slept. Look at deck plans and make sure your cabin has cabins on deck above and below for the most quiet experience as extra noise can easily wake the baby or you.  Also note the rules about the pools and diapers, not allowed, so make sure you are familiar with the areas you will want to frequent with your baby.  

Although the 8 days sounds wonderful to most of us seasoned cruisers, with being pregnant, having a 1 yr old and being in a cabin (they are small just saying) you may be done and ready to leave sooner.  Whatever you decide just be sure to research these forums and as someone already mentioned, go to the family boards for a lot of info for cruising with a toddler.  If you are somewhat prepared you will have a great time all being said.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

The age of a ship doesn't matter to me.  But any cruise that includes Jamaica.....I'll pass.

The only stop in the Caribbean where I was generally fearful for my family. That would make the decision for me .also

• Like 1

I love New orleasn and the Glory is one of my favority ships, but I think I would have to do the Jubilee.

With the toddler, that changes everything. We started crusiing when ours was 11 months old. 

Here are my thoughts:

New Orleans will be tough with a stroller.

Cozumel is on both routes so it is a push.

Grand Cayman is a tender port an will be a pain with a stoller.

I was just in Jamica and I did not see much shopping or areas that were easy to navigate with a stroller.I did not see a great beach that was easily accessible.

Mahogany Bay has the beach and pool right in the port. Easy to access with a stroller and to be able to get back to the ship if anyone needs a nap.

To recap for a few other posts.:

Please check your due date so that you are not too close to time.

Naps will be your friend.

Love the idea of the balcony room, I wish we had thought of that.

Additona Dad tip:

Go get a state ID for your infant. It's about $10. With the infant you have no picture identification at all. This gives you a piece of Government Picture ID

Enjoy your trip

• Like 2