Lunch on embarkation day

deanman02

57 minutes ago, the penguins said:

They do indeed serve a specific purpose.

I was just trying to cheer up Jackie (upwarduk) for not knowing the Golden Arches was McDonald's. Weatherspoons food is mass produced in central kitchens and shipped to the pubs for reheating and serving.

The biggest attraction is the price of the beer and the coffee.

What you call "nondescript Fish and Chip places" are where you get the "real thing". Ask any local and they will happily point you in the right direction. Of course F and C always tastes better when eaten straight from the wrapping paper/bag  (used to be old newspapers but sadly not any more) using your fingers.

In the last few days we have eaten in an IHOP, Whatburger, Cracker Barrel, Layered ( great place for breakfast/lunch in Historic McKinney) and La Parisienne in Frisco so you can see we enjoy variety.

In 2019 we did a post cruise road trip from Southampton to as far north as the Lakes District then over to Leeds/York where we ditched the car hire and trained to London for a few days before flying home, spending a total of 7 days in the UK post cruise. We were with my elderly parents for whom spending lots of money on a nice meal isn't how they enjoy utilizing their savings (Pretty typical attitude Asian Immigrants despite being in the US for six decades but I digress). We did in fact patronise several Witherspoon company establishments in the various cities we stopped in and what we liked was the wide variety of menu choices at reasonable rates. I do utilize my mobile phone to source more locally recommended eateries and in London where the choices were endless it was much easier to find more unique places that were reasonable priced but also offered a nice variety of choices. Our most expensive meals but probably the best were in the wonderful Inns in the Lakes District. But in other cities it was nice to be able to go to a place that was walking distance, housed in a nice historic building that wasn't a modern new build, and with lots of food choices with reasonable prices. 

Edited by kwokpot

The first time we  cruised, I was afraid we'd have to eat at the buffet all the time. My past experience with buffets almost caused me to skip sailing. When we boarded the ship, the only place open to eat was the buffet and I was sure I had made a horrible mistake. Luckily, once we sailed the other options were available and the rest is history.

Interestingly enough, the buffet now holds some of our favorite memories.

There was the time we were on a culinary cruise and they brought aboard mussels from the port and served them in the buffet. And the time we came out of Sushi on Five after dinner and discovered they were serving lobster in the buffet (we ate lobster anyway!). Or the beautiful exotic fruit station on our Alaska cruise out of Seattle. 

We now check the buffet at both lunch and dinner.

buffet mussels.jpg

buffet lobster.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

In 2019 we did a post cruise road trip from Southampton to as far north as the Lakes District then over to Leeds/York where we ditched the car hire and trained to London for a few days before flying home, spending a total of 7 days in the UK post cruise. We were with my elderly parents for whom spending lots of money on a nice meal isn't how they enjoy utilizing their savings (Pretty typical attitude Asian Immigrants despite being in the US for six decades but I digress). We did in fact patronise several Witherspoon company establishments in the various cities we stopped in and what we liked was the wide variety of menu choices at reasonable rates. I do utilize my mobile phone to source more locally recommended eateries and in London where the choices were endless it was much easier to find more unique places that were reasonable priced but also offered a nice variety of choices. Our most expensive meals but probably the best were in the wonderful Inns in the Lakes District. But in other cities it was nice to be able to go to a place that was walking distance, housed in a nice historic building that wasn't a modern new build, and with lots of food choices with reasonable prices. 

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Much to our American friends amusement/disbelief when we tour we only do around 120 miles a day - leaving our hotel at around 09.30 to arrive at the next overnight by 18.30. Our schedule enables us to pretty much stop and explore anywhere we choose which in turn has resulted in us seeing many sights that others just rush by.

Finally on Weathespoons. Whilst some of their pubs might be described as being in “traditional” buildings or indeed in original pubs many are not. Our local one is in a converted 1960’s glass fronted shop and another in an converted cinema. Basically whatever the Weatherspoon’s owner can find that’s available cheap.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2023 at 8:46 PM, the penguins said:

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Much to our American friends amusement/disbelief when we tour we only do around 120 miles a day - leaving our hotel at around 09.30 to arrive at the next overnight by 18.30. Our schedule enables us to pretty much stop and explore anywhere we choose which in turn has resulted in us seeing many sights that others just rush by.

Finally on Weathespoons. Whilst some of their pubs might be described as being in “traditional” buildings or indeed in original pubs many are not. Our local one is in a converted 1960’s glass fronted shop and another in an converted cinema. Basically whatever the Weatherspoon’s owner can find that’s available cheap.

Spoons is not even a favourite with our young adult kids 🙈. They dread one of their mates suggesting meeting there for food and our local one is definitely not in a ‘traditional’ building. Give me the Lakes any day of the week 😂.