Lunch on embarkation day

deanman02

Sometimes I read posts about the buffet and don’t recognise the description at all…

In our experience since you can now leave hand luggage in your room Oceanview is busy yes but overcrowded not usually. People no longer hog tables with their luggage and are unwilling to move until the rooms open announcement. They either drop off their hand luggage, get a quick bite to eat and then head off to explore, find a bar and complete muster or do the wondering and ‘jobs’ first then head for the buffet a bit later…Also as others have said you can easily grab some buffet food and head somewhere else with it. 

Also most guests in the buffet adhere well to hygiene standards using appropriate utensils and if they are with children supervise and monitor appropriately. Yes, over the years we will have all seen a ‘pick and put back’ guests or ‘nibble on route’ guests but they are an exception not the rule.

OP I do suggest you either visit the buffet earlier or later to avoid the peak time but it is a nice venue with a good choice of food. We usually have access to Luminae for lunch and some cruises we will have lunch there but on other occasions we don’t particularly want a full sit down meal (especially if we have had breakfast at our hotel). On these occasions we will head to the buffet for a light snack. We always can see somewhere to sit but if the weather is nice we may simply take our plates outside. Despite having drinks packages we also find the free lemonade in the buffet is a really refreshing rehydrating drink to enjoy with our food…Plenty of time for cocktails later!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, keesar said:

It is usually disgusting watching some cruisers having their last meal at lunch on embarkation day in the OVC.    People taking food with hands,  dropping food and picking it up and putting it back, etc.  We go to the Spa Cafe and have a relaxing lunch.

LOL---If you posted this earlier, I could have save 23 minutes typing post # 7.

"last meal at lunch on embarkation day "---- Didn't you forget to add  " and every day during the cruise " ?

48 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

LOL---If you posted this earlier, I could have save 23 minutes typing post # 7.

"last meal at lunch on embarkation day "---- Didn't you forget to add  " and every day during the cruise " ?

I have noticed that there are huge platters not eaten, especially on the first day.  

Before we board, we dine either at the Arches or the BK in Dania.  The last  decent burger we will have for a week. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 39august said:

Spa cafe is usually not open on embarkation day. 

My response regarding the Beyond was based on my actual sailing in October 2022 and directly from the daily planner which I saved (memory can be faulty). Having said that you are absolutely correct that there are sailings where the Spa Cafe isn't open on embarkation day. The same could be said for The Eden Cafe on E-Class ships. Generally it isn't open on embarkation day but there have been many exceptions that are well noted here on CC. Best advice is to check the paper planner and/or app when you get onboard!

9 hours ago, chemmo said:

Also most guests in the buffet adhere well to hygiene standards using appropriate utensils

We have definitely NOT been on the same ships. I'd say less than 10% of people use the handwashing or sanitizing stations on entry. We always use food-grade gloves when visiting the buffet.

3 hours ago, keesar said:

Before we board, we dine either at the Arches or the BK in Dania.  The last decent burger we will have for a week. 

I don't think I've ever had a decent burger at McD, though I do like BK. If you ever find yourself in Luminae, I highly recommend the burger there.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

But, it’s not known as Golden Arches, so I had no idea about your reccomodation.

An image of the Golden Arches is the logo of McDonalds; go on their website and it will probably ring a bell. 

5 hours ago, 39august said:

Spa cafe is usually not open on embarkation day. 

I believe you are right.  It is another victim of the cuts. It was our go to place on embarkation day after dropping our luggage.  Lots of space and quiet because few knew about it.

• Like 1

We always eat a good breakfast at the pre cruise hotel. For us no need for a lunch. Once onboard, we go to our stateroom to get our Seapass cards, drop off carryons and go check in for the muster. Then we're off to get our traditional welcome aboard drinks and chill out until our luggage arrives. 

2 hours ago, mahasamatman said:

We have definitely NOT been on the same ships. I'd say less than 10% of people use the handwashing or sanitizing stations on entry. We always use food-grade gloves when visiting the buffet.

I don't think I've ever had a decent burger at McD, though I do like BK. If you ever find yourself in Luminae, I highly recommend the burger there.

I think the burgers at McD and BK taste much better than the Mast Grill.  Then I have the image of burgers sitting in a pan of drippings waiting to be served.  

1 hour ago, keesar said:

I think the burgers at McD and BK taste much better than the Mast Grill.  Then I have the image of burgers sitting in a pan of drippings waiting to be served.  

Ask for a burger cooked your way. We always do. 

On 11/11/2023 at 4:44 PM, mocruiseguy said:

If you’re on an Edge-class ship, check to see if Le Bistro is open for lunch. Things may have changed, but we had a quiet, wonderful lunch there on embarkation day last December. We’re planning on doing the same in a few weeks on the Apex, if it’s open. There is a fee, but we love the service and food there. 

We had our embarkation day lunch at Le Bistro on the Apex in April 2022.  Granted there was a charge, but we found it to be worth it’s weight in gold, to be able to board the ship and enjoy a delicious French lunch in a peaceful, non-hectic and uncrowded environment. This  allowed us to be relaxed during the first couple of hours onboard, which is usually stressful until the cabins are ready. We plan on doing it again when we board the Ascent in February 2025. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

Shouldn't worry I have seen Americans recommend Weatherspoons as traditional old English Pubs with great food.🤣

Don't they serve a specific purpose as an inexpensive place to eat with a wide variety of choices? Are they fine dining, no. But I rather go to a Weatherspoons than a nondescript Fish and chips place for lunch or dinner.

26 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Don't they serve a specific purpose as an inexpensive place to eat with a wide variety of choices? Are they fine dining, no. But I rather go to a Weatherspoons than a nondescript Fish and chips place for lunch or dinner.

They do indeed serve a specific purpose.

I was just trying to cheer up Jackie (upwarduk) for not knowing the Golden Arches was McDonald's. Weatherspoons food is mass produced in central kitchens and shipped to the pubs for reheating and serving.

The biggest attraction is the price of the beer and the coffee.

What you call "nondescript Fish and Chip places" are where you get the "real thing". Ask any local and they will happily point you in the right direction. Of course F and C always tastes better when eaten straight from the wrapping paper/bag  (used to be old newspapers but sadly not any more) using your fingers.

In the last few days we have eaten in an IHOP, Whatburger, Cracker Barrel, Layered ( great place for breakfast/lunch in Historic McKinney) and La Parisienne in Frisco so you can see we enjoy variety.