Port of Skagway

Smitheroo

I'm wondering if anyone knows any details about Skagway's future as a port for Alaskan cruises.  When we stopped there one of the storekeepers said to me "its been busy. And we didnt even know if the cruise ships would come". Of course I had no idea what she was referring to but then our shuttle driver told us there was a problem with rock slides at the dock. This is why NCL no longer allows passengers to walk the short distance from the ship to the bus that goes into town. The driver told us it was due to the rockslides.   Apparently there has been talk of eliminating Skagway as a cruise port. This would be devastating for Skagway and a disappointment for cruise ship passengers.  Cute little town

Edited by Smitheroo

No way will they ever permanently delete Skagway as a port stop. It is a prime draw for AK cruisers with the White Pass train and rich gold rush history. They will work around the docking issues and no doubt it will be repaired at some point even if it takes a couple of years to get it fully back to former operations. 

We live in Alaska.  While we live in the Interior of the state we subscribe to the electronic version of the Anchorage Daily News for statewide news. The cruise industry is frequently discussed and I have not read any articles even remotely suggesting that there is any consideration of dropping Skagway. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

We live in Alaska.  While we live in the Interior of the state we subscribe to the electronic version of the Anchorage Daily News for statewide news. The cruise industry is frequently discussed and I have not read any articles even remotely suggesting that there is any consideration of dropping Skagway. 

I must have read it somewhere as I would have no way of even knowing about the concern.  And the shopkeeper was aware of it because of what she said- they were unsure if the cruise ships would even be coming (I'm assuming she meant for the season)  It wasnt the shuttle driver, all he said was "they dont let you walk because we are rock slide prone"  He made no mention that this would affect the cruise industry other than not letting the passengers walk the short distance off the ship. So where did I learn of this?   I dont know but I know i didnt make it up. I read it somewhere.  I will investigate.

7 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

No way will they ever permanently delete Skagway as a port stop. It is a prime draw for AK cruisers with the White Pass train and rich gold rush history. They will work around the docking issues and no doubt it will be repaired at some point even if it takes a couple of years to get it fully back to former operations. 

"Cruise lines are concerned that a particularly large rock formation poised high above the dock might pose a risk to larger ships, and are therefore making schedule changes for shorter port times to share dock facilities away from any potential impact should that formation become destabilized."

Looks like the concern is more than the damage to the present dock.  I agree, I cant imagine them ever removing Skagway as a port on the Alaskan cruises. But it looks like RCL removed it from several of their cruises, at least in 2023, according to a quick google.   And that was the subject of the article I read after visiting Skagway.  At the time I was speaking to the shopkeeper (mentioned in my post) I had no idea of the concern. I didnt know what she meant when they were pleasantly surprised about the business so late in the season because :we didnt know if the cruise ships would even come".    Its not the damage to the present dock that is the concern (although that is definitely a concern for a ship to dock) from what I comprehend its the liability caused by a rockslide. We enjoyed our shore excursion in Skagway very much and also our short walk around the town buying souvenirs.   It would be devastating to the local economy and a disappointment for cruisers for sure if the port was removed from the schedule.

Carnival Celebration The Gateway Zone
Carnival Cruise Line reveals the final themed zone featured onboard the new Carnival Celebration cruise ship, the second Excel-class in the fleet and sister to Mardi Gras. The cruise line has already detailed five zones, but the sixth and final one named The Gateway has been revealed.

0 seconds of 1 minute, 4 secondsVolume 0%

Cruise lines are concerned that a particularly large rock formation poised high above the dock might pose a risk to larger ships, and are therefore making schedule changes for shorter port times to share dock facilities away from any potential impact should that formation become destabilized.

Carnival Cruise Line reveals the final themed zone featured onboard the new Carnival Celebration cruise ship, the second Excel-class in the fleet and sister to Mardi Gras. The cruise line has already detailed five zones, but the sixth and final one named The Gateway has been revealed.

Cruise lines are concerned that a particularly large rock formation poised high above the dock might pose a risk to larger ships, and are therefore making schedule changes for shorter port times to share dock facilities away from any potential impact should that formation become destabilized.

Edited by Smitheroo

There are 3 docks at Skagway...only half of one dock is affected. I believe the affected dock can still accept ships at the end of the dock, and pax are tendered to another area. There have been a couple of confusing seasons since the rockslide affected the part of the dock, but Skagway has still accepted a lot of ships.

I agree with others...I don't see Skagway no longer being a port of call.

• Like 1

There is a large rock called ship rock that is in danger of falling, and which has the size to cause catastrophic damage to the pier and a ship.  It is why ships can only dock at the end of the rail dock and must use tenders.  This means only 1 large ship can dock at a time.  Smaller ships can use the other docks.

We did B2B Alaska cruises in June 2922.  The first was just before the slide with the second just following.  

Just a few comments random comments —

I am always suspicious about comments from a Skagway shopkeeper as very few (almost none) of folks in those stores live in either Skagway or Alaska.  And I wonder if that person was aware of the amount of emergency funding the State provided Skagway to develop a remediation plan.

Due to passenger feedback regarding the repetitious Alaska itineraries some cruise lines are offering some variations, such as including Sitka on some runs.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

And Sitka is reconsidering the impact of cruise ships.

……

Whoooo baby —- Sitka is definitely evaluating  the future  impact of cruise ships.  An acquaintance in Fairbanks grew up in Sitka and returns for holidays.  They do not want to become another Skagway.