Local tours operators at ports in NZ North Island?

Hi all, I'm cruising to New Zealand with Carnival at the end of January and wondering if there are local tour operators at any of the following ports: Wellington, Napier, Tauranga, Auckland or Bay of Islands?

The ships tours seem even more exorbitant than ever and even the ones online are fairly expensive so hoping to find something that won't blow the budget in at least a couple of ports.

Thanks in advance,

Sharon 🙂

14 minutes ago, Sharon2539 said:

Hi all, I'm cruising to New Zealand with Carnival at the end of January and wondering if there are local tour operators at any of the following ports: Wellington, Napier, Tauranga, Auckland or Bay of Islands?

The ships tours seem even more exorbitant than ever and even the ones online are fairly expensive so hoping to find something that won't blow the budget in at least a couple of ports.

Thanks in advance,

Sharon 🙂

What do you want to see?

The best place to start is here https://www.whatsinport.com/New-Zealand.html

Look at the ships excursions and if they are better than DIY, google similar tours or places to visit and use "shore excursion" in the search

• Like 1

I usually start my research on new places, with "What to see and do" in each place.  Then I research places which appeal to me.  Often you will find you can use public transport, just like the locals do.  I have plan A fine weather and plan B wet weather activities.  

• Like 2

In Tauranga, the local visitor information people set up a tour booth at the entrance to the port, and you can just book with them on the day. They represent several different local tour companies. Get there as early as you can for this, as the popular ones get filled quickly.  Prices did seem high to me, but I went to Rotorua, which is a long drive, and the entrance fee to some of the Maori places is quite high.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

In Tauranga, the local visitor information people set up a tour booth at the entrance to the port, and you can just book with them on the day. They represent several different local tour companies. Get there as early as you can for this, as the popular ones get filled quickly.  Prices did seem high to me, but I went to Rotorua, which is a long drive, and the entrance fee to some of the Maori places is quite high.

Thank you! Do you happen to recall if they take card or cash only?

They take credit cards. I stayed in NZ after the cruise for a week and never had any NZ banknotes. You can pay for almost everything with a CC, same as in Australia.

In Napier, the shuttle bus takes you to the visitor centre and they also have day tour options you can join in without a prior booking. 

Do some research on good things to see at the port before you front up to the booth. They don't have  a lot of time to explain what's available to you in detail. The main thing is to get off the ship early. Don't hang around having a lesiurely breakfast and waiting for the crowd to clear, because by the time you get on land, the choice of tours will be less. 

Edited by cruiser3775
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

They take credit cards. I stayed in NZ after the cruise for a week and never had any NZ banknotes. You can pay for almost everything with a CC, same as in Australia.

In Napier, the shuttle bus takes you to the visitor centre and they also have day tour options you can join in without a prior booking. 

Do some research on good things to see at the port before you front up to the booth. They don't have  a lot of time to explain what's available to you in detail. The main thing is to get off the ship early. Don't hang around having a lesiurely breakfast and waiting for the crowd to clear, because by the time you get on land, the choice of tours will be less. 

I find many cruisers are well travelled so ask your fellow cruisers for their recommendations of what to do and see. Then you are ready to make a booking on the wharf.   I love the way experienced cruisers often come up with something you hadn't thought of.  I miss the regular world cruisers who used to blog about what they did in each place.

I recommend always to take some local cash.  I had two credit cards stop working in London once.  On a South Pacific island the place which accepted credit cards was closed for a long lunch.  I became the banker so people could buy a cold drink in the heat.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

The main thing is to get off the ship early. Don't hang around having a lesiurely breakfast and waiting for the crowd to clear, because by the time you get on land, the choice of tours will be less. 

For this reason, we almost always have tours (with locals) booked ahead of time. Then we are able to have a leisurely breakfast & get off & join our tour at appointed time. Note: this doesn't work so well on Fiji time, where you may have a leisurely breakfast followed by a leisurely wait for the tour to depart 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mr walker said:

we almost always have tours (with locals) booked ahead of time

That's a better way to do it for sure, but I won't book a private tour that asks for payment in full or a large deposit in advance.  There is considerable risk that a cruise ship may not make it into any scheduled port, or arrive much later than planned. So check their terms and conditions carefully to see if they offer unconditional return of your money if the ship does not arrive. Even better, find oen that says you can pay on the day.

• Like 3

I am planning shore excursions for a family cruise to NZ next January. When we are in Tauranga I planned to go to Rotorua and probably go to Te Puia. I have been there a few times over the years, but not since COVID. I was surprised at the entry price for Te Puia - adults NZ$90, or with the Maori show it is NZ$120. Of course, the cost of getting to Rotorua has to be added to that. We might hire a vehicle. Another alternative is a private tour but that is more expensive.

On one trip to NZ, we went to another thermal park in Rotorua. It was to the south of the town. I didn't feel it had as much as Te Puia, but I have in mind that there will probably be a folkloric show on the ship that night and the children in my group will see Kiwis (birds) at the Aquarium in Napier. Therefore it doesn't matter if we 'miss' those in Rotorua. We would also go to the Redwood forest. I am thinking about going to the blue and green lakes although they are not far off the main road.

I would appreciate any comments on other thermal areas around Rotorua. I know there are a couple of small bit of thermal activity that can be seen around town. Don't suggest the luge - the children are too young (10, 9 and 4) and they are girls. Boys would be more interested in the dare-devil type of activity.

4 minutes ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

Last time we visited Rotorua we went to Wai O Tapu Thermal Park. There was quite a lot of walking involved, but the colors were amazing and we really enjoyed our day there.

That is the one we went to about five years ago. The colours of the water were great but as you say, a lot of walking. We might have to do Te Puia despite the cost. It has a geyser, bubbling mud as well as the cultural component.