Almost Live …. NCL Bliss through the Panama Canal (Dec 4 to 19) Miami to LA

EganFire

1 hour ago, hallux said:

Interesting - I'm on the January 27 - Feb. 11 cruise on the Bliss but I thought there was at least one more cruise after mine that had SIX showing, not to mention that their contract appears to end mid-cruise on my trip.

This CC article says Feb. 24 is the end for SIX on the Bliss, maybe you misheard? https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/norwegian-cruise-line-set-to-discontinue-7-stage-productions

Well, I may have misheard; however, this in on the website confirming the date I heard. 
https://sixthemusical.fandom.com/wiki/Bliss_Cruise_Production
image.thumb.jpeg.536bd3730accc25a4278872ac7bb256f.jpeg

2 hours ago, Busybeeva said:

How did the day in Panama City go? Was there a ship shuttle or local shuttle from the port to town or to a terminal exit where you can get taxis, meet tour guides, etc? And how early did those run?

Was there a starting time for getting off the ship that day or could you go off the ship at any time?

Any excursion feedback would be appreciated too! We are going on this same itinerary in January. This page has been very helpful. Thank you!

I will have yesterday’s recap up later today and it should cover all you asked. If I miss anything please let me know or if you have additional questions afterwards. 

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, EganFire said:

Well, I may have misheard; however, this in on the website confirming the date I heard. 
https://sixthemusical.fandom.com/wiki/Bliss_Cruise_Production
image.thumb.jpeg.536bd3730accc25a4278872ac7bb256f.jpeg

That looks like a fan Wiki, I wonder if the dates were projected based on previous contracts or do they have some insider info?

Also, if you look at the Bliss info on NCL's website there is this notation - 

Beginning February 24th, 2024, SIX will no longer be offered.

Screenshot as well

image.png.beb45ee24f9831d9e76005d9fbb7d3c2.png

Day 6 - Recap - Dec 9 - Panama City 

After docking last night around 7 PM, we were able to come and go from the ship as much as you wanted at anytime. I watched many people leaving the ship the minute the gangway opened for them. 

Overnight, I could hear some typical port noise. With no movement and no ocean noise it was different. It was something I had not thought of beforehand. If anyone is a sensitive sleeper you may want to pack ear plugs.

Today, I awoke at 430 AM for my excursion. I booked this from a website Viator and not with NCL. I booked the "Ancon Hill walking tour. Sunrise, nature tour, and authentic breakfast."

I found this tour on here, Cruise Critic, when I saw someone on my cruise post they are doing it. I was not excited about many of the options provided by NCL and after hearing some things from others who did today I am glad I went my decision to book a non NCL excursion. I will share more about that; however, I want to mention the terminal first. (Sorry no pictures, I should have taken some)

First, the new port. We used the bridge system to leave the ship from Deck 6, instead of a gang way from a lower deck. This bridge still has that "new walkway bridge" smell. Seriously, we must have been one of the first using it, and the concrete walkway to the terminal was sparking new concrete. Inside the Terminal nothing is there. It is big, and it is obvious Panama has built this to be a starting point for cruises as they have counters for check in, etc...  To continue about the terminal before getting to the excursion, it has no road yet. That is to say no paved road. It is a construction site. Gravel roads with large sewer caps and manholes cause a bumpy ride in and out. Outside they have no signs saying where you go. No taxis awaiting and no shuttle bus offered. 

Talking to others on board, you can use Uber, but many drivers don't know or think they can drive in as the sign from the road says "construction entrance". Those that I spoke with and used Uber said they had to contact the driver and tell them to enter that entrance. The terminal does not allow you to walk out at this point as there is no sidewalk to do so. 

Back to the Excursion.... The tour operator emailed saying a free shuttle would take us to the Tropical Vibe Hotel, and as I said earlier, nothing exists for that. A very helpful tour operator for another company helped us and called us a Taxi. He charged $5 per person to take us to the Hotel. The driver spoke no english and dropped us at a gate and signaled we would have to walk from there. The entire drive was maybe .7 miles through a gravel road with no lights and many bumps. I would have walked it if I could have. 

We walked and found the hotel where Carlos met us on time. He spoke English very well and walked us to a waiting van. In the van we met a couple that was leaving on a Viking ship the next day to Ft Lauderdale. It was a total of 5 of us taking the tour. After about a 10-15 minute drive we exited and walked. Carlos gave great information the entire drive and walk. He previously worked for the Smithsonian as a scientist and his speciality was amphibians. He was very knowledgable about everything we encountered as well as the local customs, cultures, and history. 

The walk included many stairs at the beginning and the entire tour was about 10,600 steps. It was a good amount of walking up hill on roads. The hill formerly was US soil and local woman were known for sneaking on to have their babies so that their child would also be a US citizen. The land was returned to Panama by President Carter. It was a former military base and this is one of the old bunkers on location. 

IMG_4469.thumb.JPG.7b649b7f445f680a7bd04833a3e5b2a9.JPG

The views were great. The day was warm but not yet intolerable as it was so early in the day. This was one of our first photo spots and when I remembered I should have been taking photos earlier than this. 

The sunrise was at low tide and you could see the NCL Bliss as well as the skyscrapers of Panama City.

IMG_4474.thumb.JPG.0cc25058fd9cda76540679671de8412a.JPGIMG_4473.thumb.JPG.4e830e6eff1fd10cb800848844ca2887.JPG

Carlos explained that before 2000, there was only one skyscraper. The rest have been built after 2000, when the Panama Canal was returned to Panama control from the US. The economy skyrocketed and the development was out of control. Carlos said as a Boy Scout he camped in the woods in 1995 that is now all skyscrapers. 

We saw the following local wildlife while on the tour. Sorry that I was not able to get pictures of each. We saw Toucans, Tamarin, Agoutis, and many birds. We hoped to see a sloth, and Carlos was looking in all their regular areas but they must have taken a vacation on this day.

IMG_4517.thumb.jpg.6e6339ac68169cef63c59c4c621181a9.jpgIMG_4518.thumb.jpg.1b079d25f7805a019afd5b077a8b1bf5.jpg

The views were great; however, Carlos was the star. His knowledge was amazing and he was so eager to share and ensure that we had a great time. We were able to see the Canal and the Pacific gates, both new and old. We also were able to see the loading area for the transcontinental railway. The large shipping container area is now under the control of China. Carlos said he has noticed an increase of Chinese in the city since this transfer of ownership.

IMG_4483.thumb.JPG.f8869847cab77327fcb2e4186cece01f.JPGIMG_4482.thumb.JPG.a2861afc31dcba1c337c9e3392cbc051.JPGIMG_4481.thumb.JPG.0b8e8a4d30d046d0b1cacb32f16a5bae.JPGIMG_4480.thumb.JPG.97e1f4aa8137f2afd6b096470c1f2083.JPG

On top of the hill, Carlos offered us some snacks that included bananas and mandarin oranges. After seeing everything the hill had to offer, minus a Sloth, we walked back down the way we came and loaded back into the van. Carlos gave a tour as we drove through the city to what he described to us a place the locals would go and eat. He said this is not a tourist area and represents what the locals would typically eat. Everything we could eat or drink was included. It was cafeteria style and we just pointed at what we wanted to eat and it was loaded onto a plate for us. 

Many forms of corn meal, yuca, pork, empanada, sausage, liver, and sausage.  There were also numerous fruit juice options and many other selections to choose from. No one left hungry for certain.

On the 20 minute ride back to the terminal, Carlos gave more information and answered any and all questions. Now that the sun was up, we had a great full view of the new downtown area of Panama City. 

We also could see the Bliss awaiting our arrival. Everyone in the van said it looks like our ship gave birth to the cruise ship docked next to us.

IMG_4499.thumb.JPG.c3cdda77daa88bee53a0be8793367dfc.JPGIMG_4497.thumb.JPG.c4779eaa1442e531fa004babb7d6eac8.JPG

The driver at our request, tried to get us back to the terminal instead of the hotel we were picked up at. This is when we noticed the sign said construction entrance and at our request, he drove on in. No one stopped him and he was amazed. He even took pictures and videos as many locals did not realize it was in use yet. 

Of course, I took the obligatory photo of the stern of the Bliss as we walked back to her. 

IMG_4500.thumb.JPG.03692b359a8a8e3886bbcc5c69148973.JPG

My summary: the tour is worth it, if Carlos is on it. I would not repeat it but I would recommend it to do once. It was worth the price and I enjoyed it. Hopefully as the new terminal gets better organized they can just pick people up there instead of the hotel. Talking to others on board who went to NCL excursions they said they were PACKED. The jungle tour had hundreds of people in multiple buses and it was a mess they said.  

After getting back I went to the Vibe and it was SOO hot. Especially with no wind and the Bliss vibe has no misters. 

Before leaving for the excursion this morning, I called housekeeping and notified them I had laundry for pickup. Pickup by 9 AM promised a return by 6 PM if you pay for same day or 6 PM the next day. I marked it for next day as that is included as a Platinum. At 545 PM, my room steward had my laundry back to me the same day. They fold everything so nice and for those who have not done this before, with the exception of socks and underwear, every garment has a tracking number attached. They easily peel off, and that is that little yellow tag pictured below. 

IMG_4508.thumb.JPG.82651aab476eed0f50f43eea475a92bd.JPG

I had a late dinner reservation at Ocean Blue again. I had the Salmon and it was delicious. After dinner I wanted to catch part of the Beetles show but it was coming to an end. I made my way to the Theatre and saw the Juggler who was brought on for this cruise. It was better than I expected, not sure I would see it 100 times but I was glad to see it. He juggled things that did amaze me and he had an expected fun and cheesy personality. Jim the Juggler was his name. 

As we were now underway, I sat on my balcony and enjoyed the stars for a long time. I wish the ship could be darker at night; however, I know for safety and security of those on board they have to have lighting. I just wish we could see those stars without the lights. 

Tomorrow is a day at sea and here is the daily for today:

IMG_4510.thumb.jpg.2f3770208a89677e0d59adaf7480e612.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, hallux said:

That looks like a fan Wiki, I wonder if the dates were projected based on previous contracts or do they have some insider info?

Interesting. Well either way, the good news is your cruise will have 'Six' on board. 

Maybe if it does leave on the 4th, you may be the first cruise with the new show 'Wheel of Fortune' on board.

Either way, enjoy 'Six' as I intend to do tonight. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hallux said:

Interesting - I'm on the January 27 - Feb. 11 cruise on the Bliss but I thought there was at least one more cruise after mine that had SIX showing, not to mention that their contract appears to end mid-cruise on my trip.

This CC article says Feb. 24 is the end for SIX on the Bliss, maybe you misheard? https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/norwegian-cruise-line-set-to-discontinue-7-stage-productions

Why would you really care?

You'll be back home.

1 minute ago, cruiser2015 said:

Why would you really care?

I'm actually curious if there will be 2 weeks' worth of performances over the 15 night cruise (4 nights) or if the Feb. 4 date means they're getting off the ship in the middle of my cruise and there will only be two opportunities to see the show.

1 hour ago, hallux said:

I'm actually curious if there will be 2 weeks' worth of performances over the 15 night cruise (4 nights) or if the Feb. 4 date means they're getting off the ship in the middle of my cruise and there will only be two opportunities to see the show.

Good point. I didn't think of that one.

Seems odd that they would have it scheduled to end like that and not have the usual performances throughout the cruise.

Is it even possible for them to switch to a new "major" show mid-cruise?

Edited by cruiser2015

21 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Is it even possible for them to switch to a new "major" show mid-cruise?

Considering my trip has a sea day on Feb. 4, then 5 port calls in Mexico before ending in LA, I have a feeling the cast of Six will be 'along for the ride' at that point and it might be tough getting a new cast and sets on board.

2 hours ago, EganFire said:

Interesting. Well either way, the good news is your cruise will have 'Six' on board. 

Maybe if it does leave on the 4th, you may be the first cruise with the new show 'Wheel of Fortune' on board.

Either way, enjoy 'Six' as I intend to do tonight. 

Re your day's activities:

Sounds like a rough start for a nice tour.

How did they handle passenger pickups for the NCL tours?

Also, if they don't tag socks and underwear, how can they prevent those getting lost?

52 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Re your day's activities:

Sounds like a rough start for a nice tour.

How did they handle passenger pickups for the NCL tours?

Also, if they don't tag socks and underwear, how can they prevent those getting lost?

NCL excursions were picked up at the terminal. They had to drive through the construction site as well. 
I learned on a previous behind the scene tour that socks and underwear are placed into a net bag that is tagged with your number. 

56 minutes ago, hallux said:

Considering my trip has a sea day on Feb. 4, then 5 port calls in Mexico before ending in LA, I have a feeling the cast of Six will be 'along for the ride' at that point and it might be tough getting a new cast and sets on board.

Learned this on a previous behind the scene tour: cast does not have to get on at the start port or end at it either. The cruiseline has crew, cast, comedians, etc get on or off at any port they need them to. 

for example. We currently have two comedians on board now that leave tomorrow in Guatemala and two new ones get on.  

also thought this was cool; any stage show cast is on the ship 1-2 weeks before going live. They do rehearsals on the ship but also rehearse in Tampa for weeks beforehand. If the cast is replacing another cast the two teams help the transition. If it’s a new show, it gives the technical team time to rehearse with them and work out set and costume changes. 

I highly recommend the tour. It’s amazing to see the entire stage clear and the next day it has a full show on it. When we went the other day, the set for Six was in pieces backstage. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, EganFire said:

NCL excursions were picked up at the terminal. They had to drive through the construction site as well. 
I learned on a previous behind the scene tour that socks and underwear are placed into a net bag that is tagged with your number. 

They tagged one of my sock a year ago and I am still unable to rip off the tag. I must remember to take that sock with me on my next BTS tour and request assistance to remove the tag. 😅

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

They tagged one of my sock a year ago and I am still unable to rip off the tag. I must remember to take that sock with me on my next BTS tour and request assistance to remove the tag. 😅

We've found those tags stuck to things a year later. Some of them are stubborn.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, EganFire said:

Aha!

5 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Never give up...never surrender!

On 12/9/2023 at 11:52 AM, EganFire said:

We passed under the new Atlantic side bridge and we saw a 6 ft crocodile swimming in the water. This is what would end up being one of the small ones we would see throughout the day. We also watched as they brought Panama Canal linemen on board to help tie us up in each lock.

IMG_4370.thumb.JPG.823f06433641cd0b2a85a5d6b931354f.JPG

Then we saw a large crocodile, about 11 ft. It seemed to know what to expect as it used a chain to hold onto as the water serged into the lock, then he eventually climbed up on one of the bumpers to float it out until we were ready.

IMG_4420.thumb.JPG.c29799025f56b70a60b42040c24f924b.JPGIMG_4413.thumb.JPG.a49c969e5e50597892621398b10f79a6.JPG

As soon as the alarm sounded that the lock gates were opening it seemed he knew what to expect and immediately swam to the opening of the lock.

IMG_4423.thumb.JPG.553a318d5b0ac1ac1257c8ca3725794e.JPG

So!!! A FREAKING CROCODILE?!?!?!?!?!

EDIT: In my excitement, I clicked post too soon. 

That's absolutely stunning! And you've now sold me on a Panama Canal cruise. Holy crap! I love it!!! Thanks so much for documenting the crocodile making way through the locks. 

I'm sad that we chose the Transatlantic instead of this cruise as we were considering this one when we finally decided to book Pr1ma's Transatlantic. I am thankful you're onboard to show us the truly important....CROCODILES!!!!

Have a wonderful rest of your trip and thank you (seriously, you've absolutely made my day with this report)!

Edited by cruiseny4life

15 hours ago, EganFire said:

The hill formerly was US soil and local woman were known for sneaking on to have their babies so that their child would also be a US citizen.

Forgive me for wanting to set the record straight on this point.  Sounds like Carlos was a perfect host and guide for your hike up Ancon Hill, however in this case he must have been using some creative history or relying on urban legend.  The fact is birth in the Canal Zone never conferred US citizenship in the 77 years of United States administration.  I think if that were the case a large percentage of the Panamanian population would be carrying US passports.  Any child born in the Canal Zone would acquire citizenship through his or her parents.  In the 1970s Panama did pass a law granting anyone born in the Canal Zone the right to claim Panamanian citizenship.  

I have enjoyed you pictorial documentation of your transit and excursion.  Enjoy the rest of the cruise!

• Like 1

Day 7 - Recap - Dec 10 - At Sea

Today I slept in; and by that I mean my internal clock did not wake me as usual. I had a late breakfast at the Local. I sat at a table in the bar area where you can hear what is happening in the atrium. They’ll  broadcast the activity on the large screen behind the atrium stage; however, once people sit on the edge you can't see anything from the table in the bar area. They really should mount a few TVs so that those at the table can see as well. 

The activity below was a Teppanyaki demonstration, and it sounded quite good. The crowd was very engaged and lots of laughing. I wish I could have watched what was happening. 

I spent a good amount of time at the Vibe, enjoying the breeze and the sun. 

Watched a great sunset over the Pacific from my balcony.

IMG_4532.thumb.JPG.4f774f2e242f68309673f4ef9f1d2e72.JPGIMG_4528.thumb.JPG.a9bbac2bcb6bf89660b0fab5470838c7.JPGIMG_4525.thumb.JPG.0dc293c0feab909a05ea763fdb6f7726.JPGIMG_4520.thumb.JPG.6b5cad7fa15189f2afce259d7e21b9fa.JPG

Dinner tonight was at Cagneys, and then it was off to watch the late performance of 'Six'

Now, I will say, I have been on the Bliss twice before and never saw 'Six.' I honestly did not know what it was and for some reason never tried it out. After seeing it on this cruise, I can honestly say I do not know why NCL is closing this show. It is very good and well worth the watch.

A show is as good as the Cast and this new Cast is excellent. If I had to be critical, I can say that a few lines were delivered a little fast especially in the first few acts; however, I also know this cast is brand new and that will improve over time. I do NOT understand that on this 15 day cruise, they only perform two nights. I wish they had a third so I could see it again and again.

The actress playing Jane Seymour (The 3rd wife, and the one who died in child birth) has an absolutely amazing singing voice. Such power and those notes she hit just really impressed me. The song is about having a heart of stone; and ironically, her voice melted my heart with her passionate and powerful performance. 

I will also say, the actress playing the second wife Anne Boleyn, (the first beheaded wife), was also quite good at the role. The entire cast is brilliant including the Ladies in Waiting, the band performing on stage. Casting did an excellent job choosing 10 extremely talented ladies for this cast.

No pictures, audio, or video are allowed during the show; UNTIL the Queens encourage you to do so for the last song. Make sure to bring your cameras.

The third picture below shows the queens from left to right, as wife 1 to 6. (Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived) 

IMG_4559.thumb.JPG.16f8fd09179e4a5d95edd69a6b168b04.JPGIMG_4553.thumb.JPG.1094c0284d2396f8ab35da01da1925be.JPGIMG_4544.thumb.JPG.c6d92867b568dc2d8065e6d5efcae129.JPG

IMG_4542.thumb.JPG.20f19c0e05e86ef93ff4ceffce8d3cdf.JPG

Tomorrow we are in Guatemala. 

Here is the daily:

IMG_4514.thumb.jpg.18a3eec6122592b87fc11b0f2b9dc65e.jpg

• Like 3

Day 8 - Recap - Dec 11 - Guatemala 

Last night we gained an hour. This is the card you want to see on a cruise and on this one we will see this card more than once.

image.thumb.png.43dd26640cc83fa0b3dc6f9e089c7c72.png

Here is a picture of us on our way into port:

IMG_4568.thumb.JPG.9b5ad51a1ca9ab0e9418097364013151.JPG

After I woke, I went to eat breakfast in the Garden Cafe and it was busy. I took my food to eat in the Vibe. I did not intend to stay a while, but everyone kept seeing some signs of life in the water so I started to watch as well. 

They saw sharks, dolphins, and turtles. I did get to see two turtles and 4 dolphins. I only caught one in a picture. From 20 decks up it looks so small. 

IMG_4574.thumb.JPG.ace1074a5170797459ed6b84a7523978.JPG

On deck 6, just outside the Social, the culinary team was assembling the ginger bread village for Christmas. Remember the items I spoke about when I did the behind the scene tour?

IMG_4591.thumb.JPG.a3173f1e54ca28123d0f1d4945a44e78.JPGIMG_4589.thumb.JPG.62e10f82702f6fdd2817a4c809b09eca.JPG

I had an excursion booked through NCL for the Antigua Craft Beer tasting and city walking tour. The ticket said to meet in the Theatre. I purchased a couple of waters to bring with me and went to the Theatre. The place was crowded but that is expected. A large amount of the excursions were asked to meet there.

An employee is on stage talking on the PA system telling what groups to head off the ship. They do this to help control the mass crowds trying to leave the ship at one time. People do not listen. She was very clear with her instructions; and repeated things many times. And people did not listen. Then other people were yelling attitude at her as they walked by her. It was embarrassing to say for these people. 

My group was called and I headed down. It was crowded as expected leaving the ship. They had a large amount of tours going to Antigua Guatemala and every group had to board a bus to do so. 

We made our way through the shops to the awaiting buses. It was HOT, about 93 degrees F. I boarded the bus and found a seat to settle in for a 90 minute ride to the city. Our bus driver was Oscar, and our tour guide was Nancy. Nancy spoke clear and full English and lived in the Antigua. Our excursion had a meeting time of 12:30 PM. I was on the bus by 1 PM, and we left shortly after.

DISCLAIMER: I take notes as I am on an excursion to help write these recaps afterwards. I cannot promise everything is accurate and or correct and if an error is made I apologize on the front side. I never intend to mislead or misinform and I am only reporting things as I hear them and as the tour guides are saying them. 

On our way into the port I noticed a large area of black smoke that was causing the air around the port to be hazy, and ash often was falling. Nancy explained it was harvest time for sugarcane and they must scorch the field before they harvest. 

The ride: About 40 minutes on a 4 lane road, and it was very bumpy. After this, we turned onto a 2 lane road to climb to the 5000 feet of elevation. This road was about 55 minutes due to traffic. Antigua does not allow the large buses, so we had to park and change buses to smaller types just at the city limits. This smaller bus ride was 10 minutes on what we were told is cobblestone roads. More to come about the city. 

Nancy told us that Guatemala has 37 volcanoes, and 3 of them are active. Fire Volcano is one of the three and we would be seeing a lot of that one today. Every so often it erupts 24 hours a day. Nancy explained these eruptions are seen as a good thing by residents as the volcano is venting and not building up for a large scale eruption. 

Here you can see (from through the bus glass - sorry it had a tint on it) Fire Volcano erupting as we drove up the mountain.

IMG_4644.thumb.PNG.60b9f0e018c14c9b1f2e36073302febb.PNG

Let me tell you, I live in an area with cobblestone. I will never complain about the ones I have at home any longer. These were built in the 1940's and I would describe them as a dried rocking river bed instead. I would call these "wobblestones" instead as thats all the bus did, wobble all over the place. 

We arrived at Antigua Brewing Company. We found reserved tables for us to sit at and met Kevin, one of the brewers. He gave a brief talk about the brewery process and stated we would be tasing 4 beers today, along with a food pairing. They served each beer and food item one at a time. 

IMG_4603.thumb.JPG.428d5695b7942a5a716e174145fc4cac.JPGIMG_4615.thumb.JPG.dd6f302822031c7b73156fd5d8c8ecfc.JPG

• The first was a Belgium Blonde with a cup of Mahi Cerviche. Both were yummy. 
  • The second was an Orange Wheat with a beet salad. I really enjoyed this food item. 
  • The third, was the Fuego IPA (named after the active volcano) and a pulled pork. This was my favorite round.
  • The fourth, was a Coffee Stout with a fried plantain in sauce. It was like a dessert round.

We had some time before leaving, so we looked around and went to the roof top bar area. Highly recommend this. It was now cloudy and a little cool. The volcano had some clouds blocking the top; if not we could have easily watched eruptions from this vantage point. It was now 60F or about 16C. Compared to the high 90s we had hours ago.

IMG_4608.thumb.JPG.fea167bc3d30620336d6b69d1f6609cc.JPGIMG_4605.thumb.JPG.9628e147d274b467faf6d130ede04873.JPG

We then followed Nancy on a walking tour of the city. The sidewalks are built by the business property owners and not the city. They were narrow, and uneven, and often had large cracks or holes to avoid. The roads and sidewalks were really like walking in a dry rocky river bed. Some struggled with it. Make sure if you go that you have good footwear on. 

The drivers do not seem to actually have rules and the city did not have a single stop sign or light to be found. Walkers be warned. 

I found it funny, that in this historical old city, we walked by these two things:

IMG_4635.thumb.JPG.7785bc151f9d528014e6757951ab8390.JPGIMG_4619.thumb.JPG.cc6e7b095160ba73d5420172b77f479c.JPG

The entire time you are in Guatemala, you will be approached by people selling items. Flutes, drums, bracelets, scarfs, blankets, and just stuff. Kids as young as 5 and older folks at my guess 90s can be found doing so. Nancy explained it is cultural here, and as for the kids - this is there. two months off school. They attend JAN to OCT, and off NOV and DEC.

I personally found, if I politely said "No gracias" they left me alone, until I walked near others and would just repeat the script over and over. 

The city has somewhere around 40 catholic churches and some are very old. Nancy took us to the city center square and provided some history. We also saw the city administration building. 

IMG_4632.thumb.JPG.d9358c7c2de23a4bf9b74ce91c7440cb.JPGIMG_4629.thumb.JPG.1404f1b110879f51f7c31b22ecf89ede.JPGIMG_4625.thumb.JPG.66de44241aa470e55168e55ac2a9fd3a.JPG

Our last stop was Jade Maya. We met Mary Lou Ridinger. She provided and overview of what Jade is, how it is formed in nature, and that she and her husband basically started the entire Jade business in Antigua years ago. The store is neat to walk around, they have a courtyard garden area, a jade museum, a jade store, and you can see the shop in which they process the jade stones. 

IMG_4637.thumb.JPG.06c49a17cb98316ca0292271ee717b21.JPGIMG_4638.thumb.JPG.21c79e43e6027f7d8c2ef749cd5c2c6e.JPGIMG_4640.thumb.JPG.f7a7c64689ddf86927e6d938aa16ecdb.JPGIMG_4641.thumb.JPG.49615d6497913e114ce717e0a56e1a98.JPG

We met at 6 PM and for some reason the original bus met us instead of smaller ones we expected. We boarded around 615 and left. It was dark as the sun had set and I much praise Oscar our driver. He certainly earned his salary on this ride. Those corners and turns are not meant for a large bus and he made it look simple. Plus the city traffic was nuts. Remember, no stop signs, no lights, just chaos. 

6:55 PM we made it to the two lane road to drive down the mountain. 735 PM we made it to the four lane road. 820 PM we made it to the port. 845 PM I was back on the ship. Due to it being late, I just grabbed a little bite at the Garden Cafe.

IMG_4646.thumb.JPG.c240bc5de16e2063d9fe57fa27b569d1.JPGIMG_4645.thumb.JPG.2f2b8e4a171fd2fe8d2dcf3b97533dbb.JPG

I then headed down to the Social to watch the new comedian who just joined us today. His name is Orlando Leyba. As soon as he walked on stage I realized I have watched him on a special somewhere. Later I found this to be on HBO MAX. He has also made at least 4 appearances on Jimmy Fallon to name a few. He traveled a red eye to join us today and had not slept in a day, and he was still very funny. At his admission it was a random weird show but I laughed a ton as well as those in attendance. I can't wait to see another show with him. 

Tomorrow is a day at Sea and here is the daily:

IMG_4578.thumb.jpg.48a5fe65ad079a90b28908f951c28037.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, EganFire said:

After seeing it on this cruise, I can honestly say I do not know why NCL is closing this show.

Money.  When NCL first bought the rights to do the show it wasn't well-known (it was just getting its start on the West End in London).  The popularity has since skyrocketed and I'm sure the cost to renew the rights 5 years later are too much for NCL to swallow so they're ending the run.  It's a shame, it's a FANTASTIC show!!

Day 9 - Recap - Dec 12 - At Sea

The sunrise was from behind the ship as we had turned West (later to be found that we were trying to head further out to sea to avoid some rough winds and sea).

Today started slightly windy and with gentle seas. After sunrise it started to build. I ate breakfast at the Local and while at breakfast we really started to feel things. I made my way to the Vibe and we were able to see several sea turtles, at least 15 and a shark.

I fell asleep too easily with the rolling seas and when I awoke from a good nap I missed the time period for lunch. Well, lunch at Savor or Taste as I had not yeti  tried that for lunch and wanted to today. 

The seas were now 15 ft and the wind was building as well. I noticed NCL placed these at every landing of each staircase.

IMG_4654.thumb.JPG.ca5fd3d456a07e17f491f5f0a16ed6ef.JPG

I never did see what the worse height was but the ship was really moving today. The Captain did mention on his announcement today that we headed West to avoid the worse of it. If this was the avoided route, I am glad we did not experience the other. 

I had some wings from the Local for a late snack to hold me over for dinner. They were quite good. As I ate, the atrium was playing word scramble. 

I learned on a previous cruise to check your statement daily and address issues you find when you find them instead of waiting for the last night. I noticed two charges for the drinks I purchased to go into Guatemala that should not have been charged as I had the package. I went to the guest services desk and they agreed that I was charged wrong and took them off. 

While we were in port yesterday, the chefs assembled the ginger bread city in the center of the ship on deck 6, where it opens above to decks 7 and 8. This gave a great view from above of this piece of food art. (I will get better pictures tomorrow).

IMG_4651.thumb.JPG.eff4dff73917602384e66b2cf24e77d3.JPG

Tonight as reward for the rolling seas, the sun provided a beautiful sunset for our entertainment. 

IMG_4699.thumb.JPG.81a164bf91d0c2b6e9d94dbb12931e00.JPGIMG_4695.thumb.JPG.6bc501745325fdff4ebd96259ded0c35.JPGIMG_4686.thumb.JPG.030fd061cb0b3771fed65d3884ad87fe.JPGIMG_4678.thumb.JPG.db17918b6c4fefba04980a69eb5eb847.JPGIMG_4667.thumb.JPG.b305175d4d2af3577ddd101da9598a65.JPGIMG_4663.thumb.JPG.30c8d54621659ae4e870818810737c57.JPG

Dinner was at Le Bistro. This was my first time to it on the Bliss. I honestly was very surprised it is on deck 17 in aft section. It has a nice view of the darkness at sea at night and then a view of the jogging deck. People were walking or jogging by as we ate. I also noticed that in one of the corners of the restaurant, a table of 5 high ranking ship officers were enjoying a nice dinner together, included was the head Chef and the Captain. 

After dinner I went to the late comedy show with comedian John Hastings. The place was packed, standing room packed. He mentioned he has been on many cruises and that for the first time, he too was affected by the high seas today and was sick earlier. He was feeling better and the show must go on. He was quite funny and the show ran late as he was just having too much fun with us. I really enjoy these two comedians, and will try to see both of them again while on board for sure.

Tomorrow a day at Sea (should have been Acapulco). Here is the daily:

IMG_4701.thumb.jpg.2909d18c60cfe0f0e6f7ae0ea92b9ce9.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/10/2023 at 2:32 PM, hallux said:

Screenshot as well

image.png.beb45ee24f9831d9e76005d9fbb7d3c2.png

Oh no!  Any idea what it is being replaced with?  I’m looking at March, 2024 booking.  

17 minutes ago, L1211 said:

Any idea what it is being replaced with?

Either an interactive game show (audience participation) as has been done on Breakaway (I think) or an NCL original production is the guess.  There are some threads about the changes.