What time to reserve dinner on eastbound Panama Canal crossing day?

canadarocks

Unless you like to dine really early, like 4pm, you will be through the locks before dinner.  
Well, maybe sometimes a little later.  This was Ruby in the last locks on Nov. 2:  time stamp on Agua Clara cam is 5:40pm.

EM

IMG_2393.jpeg

IMG_2392.jpeg

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't worry about booking anything - have a late lunch, order room service, hit the buffet, grab a pizza, snack at IC, turn up at a dinning room when it suits you. (yes you may have to share a table or wait a few minutes). You don't want to miss the best bit of the canal because you have mentally locked yourself into the MDR at a certain time. 

Timing of anything a ship does is subject to change but I can absolutely guarantee that you will get food. 

• Like 1

Here is my take on the transit, having done two eastbound full through the old locks, one partial Gatun old locks, and one full westbound using the new locks.  There is not as much drama, interest when using the new locks as the original.  No opportunity to view other ships in the neighboring locks, activity along the locks.  The most exciting part will be entering the first lock, and passing into the second.  The observation deck above the bridge will be crowded then.  I would choose to be at the bow on the deck 8 promenade deck extension.  After you clear the third of the Cocoli locks, chances are the deck over the bridge will start to clear out.  I would then go up there and see what I can to starboard of activity in the Miraflores locks, and stay there for passing the Pedro Miguel locks, good chance of seeing something there.  After you go under the Centennial bridge and pass through the Gaillard/Culebra cut (continental divide) it’s all jungle both sides.  Time for lunch or a nap.  
  When you get to the Agua Clara locks, they work just like the Cocoli, except the collecting basins are on the port side, instead of starboard.  After you clear the third lock, there is nothing to see except the Atlantic bridge and the cargo cranes at Cristobal, and all the ships waiting their turn.  EM

• Thanks 2

Here are some screen shots to illustrate my suggestions.  The first is today’s orientation of the Cerro Luisa cam overlooking the Pedro Miguel locks.  The ship in the picture is Serenade of the Seas who transited today.  Background left are the Miraflores Locks.  In the upper center you can see cargo cranes which you would pass before entering the Cocoli Locks.  The next pics are from the Miraflores cam of Ruby (I think) on her Nov. 2 transit, and the Pedro Miguel cam as she passes those locks.

IMG_2403.jpeg

IMG_2386.jpeg

IMG_2387.jpeg

IMG_2388.jpeg

IMG_2389.jpeg

Edited by Essiesmom
  • Thanks 1

While most people tend to want to be at the ship's bow, I prefer to be on the stern. You get a really good view of the locks closing behind the ship, either in the old or new locks. Both are interesting from engineering standpoint, but the old locks even more so just knowing that they were built over 100 years ago. 

• Thanks 1

I did a eastbound transit (original locks) on Oostedam (HAL) this spring.  We entered the locks on the Pacific side around 7:00 am and were out on the Atlantic side by 5 pm.  They give priority to the cruise ships as they've reserved and paid for the slots years in advance, or so said the canal pilot doing the narration of the transit.  Also, going into the first set of locks is very cool, but after that, the whole process becomes fascinating, but somewhat tedious.  Towards the 5th set of the six locks (going down) I was on the Promenade deck so close to the side of the locks that I could have touched them.  There was only about a foot of clearance on each side of the ship to the walls of the lock.

• Thanks 1