Regent cruise that "cruises the Antarctic Peninsula"

ikelmay

We have booked a bucket list cruise with Regent that takes in the southern countries of South America.  Can any experienced cruisers give any details of what "cruising the Antarctic Peninsula" involves?  It comprises three days of traversing the region between Ushuaia and Stanley, but I'm struggling to get any information about what we might possibly see or whether there is any detail given on board as to what to expect.

We booked mainly for the interesting ports of call and this cruising time is an added bonus.  I'd like to know what to expect before we get there!  I know it's a cruising pass-by rather than a stop, but that's about it.

Many thanks

We had previously done an expedition trip to Antarctica so we saw our fill of snow and penguins.  One of the best features of Antarctica is the land and sky scapes.  We thoroughly enjoyed this cruise in early 2023.  We traveled from Buenos Aires to Santiago with a pre cruise to Iguazú Falls.  

The best part of the cruise was the Antarctica team that Regent had on board - ornithologist, geologist, researcher, and photographer.  All were experts in their fields.  Lectures were packed and the team was very down to earth and accessible on the ship.  

We also saw two new species (for us) of penguins- king penguins in the Stanley Islands and Magellanic penguins in puntas arenas.  

it was a memorable trip.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

If you are physically able to take an expedition cruise instead, I recommend that you do so. A drive-by cruise cannot compare to setting foot on Antarctica. Silversea puts together an excellent one. This is what the scenery looks like

I totally agree.  To go all that way and not go ashore would be a shame.  There is nothing like getting up close and personal with the wildlife (as close as safely permitted - which is pretty darn close.)  This is even more so if you enjoy walking/hiking.  We did a Seabourn Venture (with all the stabilizer headaches) expedition last December, and will be going back this coming January.  

• Like 1

First choice is always an expedition cruise.  We went on Ponant.  However, you always have to assess your ability to navigate snow and ice on foot.  For some people a drive by is the only option.  This is how Ponant celebrated our first landing!IMG_0558.thumb.jpeg.7e7eda6edac4ba14f15c5a1aeba54490.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.  Yes, a destination-based trip would be amazing but it wasn't possible this time.  I'm really hoping we'll have some excellent speakers and guides on board   I'm also looking forward to some relaxing sea days for a change!

52 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

I have watched a few tv shows featuring Ponant cruises.  I was wondering... how did you like cruising with them?  They do seem to be a pretty good way to see Antarctica. 

We loved them!  It was a small, well managed ship.  We had about 100 Japanese on tour on our trip which made for a memorable voyage.    They even had a young Japanese naturalist on board who was raised in New Jersey.  All announcements were in French, English, and Japanese.

The crew were mostly from the Philippines so when word got out that my husband was a retired French professor, we became very popular.  They carried little notebooks and were quick to write down all the relèvent phrases they needed to serve french passengers.  

7066.thumb.jpeg.6ce6e8a58cb99c7b4fb440cf153b4c2b.jpeg

IMG_6040.thumb.jpeg.b0bb778f8749355474960ad9352e5209.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ikelmay said:

We have booked a bucket list cruise with Regent that takes in the southern countries of South America.  Can any experienced cruisers give any details of what "cruising the Antarctic Peninsula" involves?  It comprises three days of traversing the region between Ushuaia and Stanley, but I'm struggling to get any information about what we might possibly see or whether there is any detail given on board as to what to expect.

We booked mainly for the interesting ports of call and this cruising time is an added bonus.  I'd like to know what to expect before we get there!  I know it's a cruising pass-by rather than a stop, but that's about it.

Many thanks

Ikelmay, which itinerary are you booked? I’m on the February 2, 2024 Voyager out of BsAs. We have a rollcall, I hope you will join us!

We're on the returning loop out of Santiago that starts on the 19th.  I'll wave at you as we board.

21 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

Ikelmay, which itinerary are you booked? I’m on the February 2, 2024 Voyager out of BsAs. We have a rollcall, I hope you will join us!

• Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 8:58 AM, Pcardad said:

If you are physically able to take an expedition cruise instead, I recommend that you do so. A drive-by cruise cannot compare to setting foot on Antarctica. Silversea puts together an excellent one. This is what the scenery looks like

IMG_1279.JPG

IMG_0704.PNG

IMG_0908.JPG

19 hours ago, ikelmay said:

We're on the returning loop out of Santiago that starts on the 19th.  I'll wave at you as we board.

19 hours ago, ikelmay said:

We did a Siversea Expedition cruise last November to Antarctica. The worst cruise my wife have ever been on. The Expedition staff was a D-, the COVID protocols were not followed and the ship's management was disorganized although filled with misinformation in response to questions. We are sailing again back to the White Continent on the Seabourn Quest, a ship we love. Although notdesignated as an expedition cruise, there are daily landings. We have high expectations.

W

We did this cruise Jan/Feb 2023 and though the cruise was not the best we had, we loved our time in Antartica. To me it is one of the most beautiful natural places on earth.  I understand the cheerleaders for expedition but if that is not your reality for whatever reason, i felt this was the best way to see it for me.  When it was on special in Canada a couple of weeks ago i wanted so badly to do it again but life got in the way and we weren't able to book it. 

We had good weather except for a bit of fog, the ocean in Antartica was like glass. Crossing the Drake passage twice was a bit rocky but didn't last that long. 

I did a thread on our cruise so it might be worth checking out. Sorry I am not computer savy enough to post the link for you. 

• Like 1