Vaccines and Malaria treatments if not going into rural area

lstokes

Panama Canal Cruise back to back from Miami coming up.

Oceania sent notice of possible Yellow Fever vaccine and anti malaria treatment may be needed.

Since not going into any rural areas nor extended periods off ship, are these necessary?  Oceania and countries are not requiring, just suggesting.

26 minutes ago, lstokes said:

Oceania sent notice of possible Yellow Fever vaccine and anti malaria treatment may be needed.

Since not going into any rural areas nor extended periods off ship, are these necessary?  Oceania and countries are not requiring, just suggesting.

I would check with your own physician or a travel medicine clinic, rather than a bunch of anony-cruisers.

Also, your own personal medical history/condition may lead to one choice or the other.

... As might your age...

GC

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

We are doing similar intenerary (miami to Buenos Aires). Discuss with your doctor as the medical recommendations can be affected by your age and other risks. Wife and I are both over age  62 and doctor proceeded as follows for us : no yellow fever vaccine recommended , anti- malaria pills ( there is no “vaccine”) taken before, during and after being in the risk areas, and hepatitis a and b vaccine . Note that the combined a/b vaccine may be hard to find and may be hard to schedule if you are close to sailing.  It involves an initial shot, followed by another a month later and another one down the road for maximum effectiveness. That said, my wifes Dr said some protection is better than none!

also check each country you are stopping on the state dept website ( link in the Oceania notice) as some have YF vaccination requirements that are not the clearest and not sure if “enforced”.  Worst case is ,I assume, you won’t be allowed off ship if not vaccinated. 

• Thanks 1

For our Singapore to Bangkok cruise on Riviera this coming January, they're recommending Malaria precautions. I won't do it. We have taken the anti-Malaria pills for Africa and India. Both times, our appetites were gone, we were lethargic, and just felt off. We can't take an alternative due to our medical histories, so we'r going to forego the malaria pills. I want to enjoy my cruise and the food--can you imagine sailing with Red Ginger, Jacques, Toscana, et al and never wanting to eat? 

I have been on a Panama Canal cruise and didn't get any vaccinations for it but it really does depend on where you will be. I'd check with a medical clinic with knowledge about international travel. 

I've lived in West Africa where malaria is very prevalent. If malaria is prevalent in the countries you will be in (and it may not be), my best advice is to use strong insect repellent such as Deet and wear long sleeves and pants, especially if you are out at night. That's probably a better precaution than an anti-malaria pill.  Speaking from experience.....

• Thanks 1

We went to Costco - the doctor at the travel clinic does a great job of telling you exactly what you need for where you are going.  You can fill it all out on line and the Pharmacy will call and see if you want to do shots or pills through them.  think it costs $69.

2 hours ago, lstokes said:

We already have Dr appointments scheduled.  Just was wondering others experiences in that cruising area.  CDC is vague for cruises only without traveling deep into country. 

I will comment since you mention your consulting with a doctor.  We're traveling to South America this Jan.  YF vaccine is recommended but not required.  We chose to get the YF vaccine, a lifetime shot. Also typhoid fever, a two year shot. Plus hep a/b.  Typhoid is not an issue in coastal brazil but is up the amazon. The fatality rate is so high with these I wanted peotection. Beyond the vaccines long sleeves and insect repelants and protection is very important. We plan extensive travel over the next few years so was worth it for us. Since the Panama canal is not in South America I don't think it's needed but your doctor can give the best answer.

11 hours ago, sunlover12 said:

I have been on a Panama Canal cruise and didn't get any vaccinations for it but it really does depend on where you will be. I'd check with a medical clinic with knowledge about international travel. 

I've lived in West Africa where malaria is very prevalent. If malaria is prevalent in the countries you will be in (and it may not be), my best advice is to use strong insect repellent such as Deet and wear long sleeves and pants, especially if you are out at night. That's probably a better precaution than an anti-malaria pill.  Speaking from experience.....

I grew up in Central Africa.  In those days there were no anti-malaria pills.  I got malaria and unfortunately "latent Malaria" which can come back and back.  It was not fun I can assure you.  Now when I go to an area where there is Malaria I take the pills.  And I also remember to continue them until I have finished the course even if I am no longer in the Malaria area. 

Please check (1) with your doctor and (2) have him check with the local health authorities.  Then do what is advised...

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, davencl said:

I will comment since you mention your consulting with a doctor.  We're traveling to South America this Jan.  YF vaccine is recommended but not required.  We chose to get the YF vaccine, a lifetime shot. Also typhoid fever, a two year shot. Plus hep a/b.  Typhoid is not an issue in coastal brazil but is up the amazon. The fatality rate is so high with these I wanted peotection. Beyond the vaccines long sleeves and insect repelants and protection is very important. We plan extensive travel over the next few years so was worth it for us. Since the Panama canal is not in South America I don't think it's needed but your doctor can give the best answer.

We are also doing South America in January and are debating whether to get the YF shot. We’re a little north of 70 but pretty healthy. Realizing that we’re all different, if you’ve already gotten the vaccine, did you have side effects? Our doctor is doing some research and hasn’t given us his answer, yet. 

4 minutes ago, SophieM said:

We are also doing South America in January and are debating whether to get the YF shot. We’re a little north of 70 but pretty healthy. Realizing that we’re all different, if you’ve already gotten the vaccine, did you have side effects? Our doctor is doing some research and hasn’t given us his answer, yet. 

I am 70.   DW had no reactions,  I think I may have had a reaction to the Typhoid fever shot.  A week later I had a low grade fever for a day but don't know if that was a reaction.  The reason I think it may have been the Typhoid fever shot is because it is a live vaccine.  

19 hours ago, davencl said:

Same here. Forgot to mention wife and I also got typhoid prevention: she got shot,  I got pills taken over a few days. 

29 minutes ago, davencl said:

I am 70.   DW had no reactions,  I think I may have had a reaction to the Typhoid fever shot.  A week later I had a low grade fever for a day but don't know if that was a reaction.  The reason I think it may have been the Typhoid fever shot is because it is a live vaccine.  

Wasn't your yellow fever vaccine also live?

Like the OP I've been struggling with this YF question. Hate to miss out going to some bucket list places. Seems the chances of contracting are not so high (depending on precautions and where and when travelling) but the outcome of contracting unvaccinated is severe. 

I'm going to go along with medical advice from a travel medical clinic.

10 minutes ago, YoHoHo said:

Wasn't your yellow fever vaccine also live?

Like the OP I've been struggling with this YF question. Hate to miss out going to some bucket list places. Seems the chances of contracting are not so high (depending on precautions and where and when travelling) but the outcome of contracting unvaccinated is severe. 

I'm going to go along with medical advice from a travel medical clinic.

Yes I had them switched.  Thanks for pointing that out YF is live, the Typhoid shot is inactivated.  The Typhoid pills are live.

Edited by davencl

On 11/15/2023 at 9:26 AM, GeezerCouple said:

I would check with your own physician or a travel medicine clinic, rather than a bunch of anony-cruisers.

Emphatically agree!!!

Any vaccine has negative side-effects that must be balanced against any good it will do against the risks *you* face in the environment *you* will be in.  Even your own physician will be well-informed about only some parts of that balancing.  Us folks?  "Surely you jest" 😉

On 11/15/2023 at 8:58 AM, lstokes said:

No, not needed. I think they just have to send the notice. See you soon!!

We received the same notice for our Caribbean cruise in March. 

I am pretty sure that we had a Yellow fever vaccine many years ago, but not anything for Malaria.  Our ports of call are Mexico, Belize, and Honduras.  Was thinking of doing a river rafting excursion in Belize or Honduras (can't remember which port it is in) through the cruise line. 

Now second guessing being on a smallish body of water, in a jungle type atmosphere that could have mosquitoes.  I go to my physician early next month and will ask for her opinion.  

• Like 1