Transport options Cairns to Palm Cove and scenin railway question.

DT1304

Hi all,

Thanks to all of you for your advice about things to do in my other thread.

I have a couple of other questions....

When we get to Cairns I want to go to palm Cove for the afternoon. How easy is it to get an Uber or some sort of transfer to Palm Cove, and back to the ship later that arvo (not time sensitive as we are overnight in Cairns) There are 5 of us together. Ship transfer to palm Cove and back is about $80 per person which seems a bit ludicrous.

On day 2 in Cairns we want to take the scenic railway up to Kuranda and the Skyrail back. I wanted to book the Gold Class train service but they do not have availability. Can anyone advise if they would consider standard class carriages vs Gold Class service a deal breaker or is there not much difference apart from the food and drinks service. I can get Gold Class if we book through the ship but it is also so expensive. Booking directly rather than through the ship for standard service is HALF the price.

34 minutes ago, cruiser3775 said:

It's 27 kms to Palm Cove. There is a bus service from the city but it is only hourly.  Your best bet would be a maxi taxi, booked in advance.  https://cairnstaxis.com.au/

The standard carriages on the train are fine. 

I found the public bus from the city to Palm Cove convenient as the bus stop isn't far from the ship.  You use cash to buy the ticket.  You can buy a day bus pass. You don't need an expensive ship transfer.

I have a driver that I use when I go to Palm Cove (he does a transfer from Cairns Airport for me) but he would pick up from anywhere. His prices are very reasonable and he's very nice. He's usually in a Pajero so shouldn't be an issue to fit you all in. 

Not sure what I can post here but google A2B Transit. Kim and Helen. Hope they can assist.

11 minutes ago, mum and son said:

I have a driver that I use when I go to Palm Cove (he does a transfer from Cairns Airport for me) but he would pick up from anywhere. His prices are very reasonable and he's very nice. He's usually in a Pajero so shouldn't be an issue to fit you all in. 

Not sure what I can post here but google A2B Transit. Kim and Helen. Hope they can assist.

If you personally recommend, post a link - all good.

26 minutes ago, arxcards said:

If you personally recommend, post a link - all good.

Thanks Geoff. I do personally recommend, very highly. I even trust them to deliver precious cargo ie. my parents, when I allow them to go away without a chaperone 😆. Kim even calls me to let me know he has delivered mum and dad safely to their hotel, as my oldies can't seem to manage a mobile phone.

https://www.a2btransit.au/

• Like 2

I was thinking about that, but it doesnt really make sense for us.

Ship only gets in to Cairns 11:30am and the 2nd day we have booked the scenic railway and skytrain so that will take all day.

Easier to just get a bus/transfer to Palm Cove for the arvo.