Yeshiva Week 2024 Cruises Check Your Dates

22 hours ago, Badatz2 said:

As for the pizza they will NEVER eat pizza from Sorento as whole shop is very very unkosher.  They might have had pizza as part of the Fresh Kosher package, and you might have seen them walking around the Promenade with it.

I see NEVER is all caps as in they would never do it. They actually did. Must be something new to you because they actually were so many of them getting pizza. There was a special pizza for them that took more time to serve that held the line up forever. As much as we hated to skip the pizza, we did.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, crazyfrazee said:

I see NEVER is all caps as in they would never do it. They actually did. Must be something new to you because they actually were so many of them getting pizza. There was a special pizza for them that took more time to serve that held the line up forever. As much as we hated to skip the pizza, we did.

No problem here.  Look at my comment #23 saying they would only be there if there was a special line.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BND said:

On both legs of our b2b.  Wow.  That is not "a" week.  Why not just charter one ship for one week?

Because some schools have their break from the 11th-21st and some have theirs from the 18th-28th. 

Edited by gumshoe958

2 hours ago, BND said:

On both legs of our b2b.  Wow.  That is not "a" week.  Why not just charter one ship for one week?

They are not all part of a group. It’s people booking for the kosher option and it’s capped at 300/450 depending on sailing.  The others are eating tv dinners possibly wrapped fish. They all  booked like the average shmo books.

Edited by Stick93

3 minutes ago, Stick93 said:

They are not all part of a group. It’s people booking for the kosher option and it’s capped at 300/450 depending on sailing.  The others are eating tv dinners possibly wrapped fish. They all  booked like the average shmo books.

You can book a cruise with any group on them and never know.  Maybe even one you are not fond of. But it’s always nice to see the people come out on These topics who are part of “the non Inclusive” group. I beg anyone to say they won’t cruise with a certain group based on color or sexual preference - at least we can see who you are better.

All you get on a cruise is your cabin - there are 3/4/5000 other people on board always.  Too bad if it’s kids or anyone else. 

Gee, I do understand all that but from the reports I've seen the impact is a bit much with rudeness and badly behaved unsupervised kids.  I never said anywhere that I wouldn't cruise with them.   How'd you get any of that out of my post?  Please tell me.

1 minute ago, BND said:

Gee, I do understand all that but from the reports I've seen the impact is a bit much with rudeness and badly behaved unsupervised kids.  I never said anywhere that I wouldn't cruise with them.   How'd you get any of that out of my post?  Please tell me.

Not meant at you - These posts about yeshiva week always take a turn - I actually erased the post. 

enjoy! 

3 minutes ago, BND said:

Any cruise with 25% plus  children which these cruises will have are rough - Ive been on summer cruises and they are terrible. You don’t expect this January but can happen.  

13 hours ago, BND said:

Ok, here’s a different report.  Several years ago we had never heard of Yeshiva week and happened to book a cruise with them (oasis class out of FL).  They were families with kids.  They behaved like kids on a cruise…those kids might have behaved a bit better than average.  I have been on cruises with worse behaved kids during summer and spring break.

36 minutes ago, nelblu said:

I take the attitude that as long as they are not my kids/grandkids I'm not bothered or embarrassed.🤣

Kids running through the ship and down hallways/around corners don't bother you?  What  if they run into you?  That's our experience on two different spring break cruises.  I've had to tell boys to quit running because it's always 8-12 year old boys that are doing it.  There's too many people with balance issues due to age or injuries.  My issue is parents need to parent, period.

Edited by BND
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Stick93 said:

Not meant at you - These posts about yeshiva week always take a turn - I actually erased the post. 

enjoy! 

FYI. You need to quote the post you are referring to when you reply.  When you quote and then post, it's always assumed you are responding to the person you are quoting.  You can multi quote.  Doesn't matter you "erased" the post as I quoted you in my response.  

On 11/17/2023 at 11:45 AM, cruiseboy89130 said:

How can the Rabbi be on 2 ships at the same time?🤔

Doesn't say he's on the ship -- just that he's supervising the food /making sure it's Kosher.  He's probably doing his part before the foods are loaded onboard.  I read last year that this Kosher Fresh program (which costs so much!) is all sealed and pre-prepared meals; one rabbi could easily do the same thing for two ships.  

I have to think people in this specialty group are disappointed to board, having paid extra for their food, only to open up celophane packages at every meal.  

14 hours ago, Stick93 said:

Any cruise with 25% plus  children which these cruises will have are rough - Ive been on summer cruises and they are terrible. You don’t expect this January but can happen.  

We sailed ONCE on a holiday.  ONCE and never again.  No, the problem wasn't children; that is, the problem wasn't that we had young people.  No, the problem was an excessive number of people.  The children caused the ship to sail over capacity; if the ship sails with two people in every room, it's "full", whereas if children join their parents in a cabin, they can put the ship at "over capacity".  That meant more people in the hallways, in the pools, in the theaters, in the restaurants.  The worst thing was that we didn't even get a seat in the Main Dining Room; rather, we were assigned to a little side room -- and we reserved that cruise more than a year in advance.  Sheer numbers made the experience "lesser" -- and, to add insult to injury, it was one of the most expensive cruises we every took! 

No, you won't find my family on a holiday cruise again.  We do like the first week of December, when the ship is decorated for Christmas -- but the prices tend to be low and the ship is under-capacity -- but that's kinda a week tucked in between holidays.  

Back to the main point:  That's the same thing we've read about these Yeshiva Week cruises.  They sail over-capacity, which affects space and service, and -- to make matters worse -- since this group is so large, they actually close down the Solarium Bistro.  Taking away an entire venue from all the other cruisers (while allowing the specialty group to use all the restaurants) just isn't ... well, Kosher.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

…….-- to make matters worse -- since this group is so large, they actually close down the Solarium Bistro.  Taking away an entire venue from all the other cruisers (while allowing the specialty group to use all the restaurants) just isn't ... well, Kosher.  

Actually, it is Kosher. That’s the whole point of certifying and using the solarium bistro.   Passengers who select (and pay  extra) for the kosher meal program, know that they can get freshly prepared kosher meals. 

Freshly prepared meals that come out of other kitchens (MDR) would not be kosher.  What is traditionally offered is a heated pre-prepared, frozen meal for those who require kosher meals. I suspect many would prefer to pay extra for the freshly made food. Not much different than someone deciding to buy the dining package. 

M

2 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

Am I seeing that on some sailings,  the kids are well-behaved, and on others, they are decidedly not well-behaved? 

Certainly kids behave differently and a few bad apples can ruin the barrel, but I've never personally seen most of the behaviors people attribute to "large numbers" of kids on ships.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

Actually, it is Kosher. That’s the whole point of certifying and using the solarium bistro.   Passengers who select (and pay  extra) for the kosher meal program, know that they can get freshly prepared kosher meals. 

Freshly prepared meals that come out of other kitchens (MDR) would not be kosher.  What is traditionally offered is a heated pre-prepared, frozen meal for those who require kosher meals. I suspect many would prefer to pay extra for the freshly made food. Not much different than someone deciding to buy the dining package. 

M

Yes, the food is Kosher.  I was not being literal, and it was a poor word choice.  I mean it's not "right" to take away an entire restaurant venue from the majority of the cruisers.  

• Like 2

We were on the Allure in January 2020 during Yeshiva Week.  I did a lot of homework before boarding.  I know the Solarium Bistro would be closed to us.  I knew one of the elevators would be programmed to stop at every deck on Shabbat.  I knew they would not want to interact with us and their dress code.  What I didn't know is they allow their children to run around in all venues to express their energy and joy, even during worship services. 

No more Yeshiva week cruises for me....

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Doesn't say he's on the ship -- just that he's supervising the food /making sure it's Kosher.  He's probably doing his part before the foods are loaded onboard.  I read last year that this Kosher Fresh program (which costs so much!) is all sealed and pre-prepared meals; one rabbi could easily do the same thing for two ships.  

I have to think people in this specialty group are disappointed to board, having paid extra for their food, only to open up cellophane packages at every meal.  

The Rabbi in charge supervises the entire operation and has one or more "Mashgichim"  (Kosher Supervisors) with hands on control in the kitchens and prep areas. Rabbi Weberman in this case might choose to be on one of the ships.

The whole idea of the Kosher FRESH program is three Fresh cooked meals a day and not prepackaged meals.  Those are free on Royal and most cruise lines, so no one is going to pay extra for them.

1 hour ago, goldfish65 said:

Am I seeing that on some sailings,  the kids are well-behaved, and on others, they are decidedly not well-behaved? 

I suspect you’d get also varying reports if you asked about spring break cruises with loads of kids.  Some people would report the their cruise was ruined by poorly behaved kids while other people would say they had a decent cruise with lots of kids being kids.   Not only are there different kids and different parents on the various cruises, the different observers with different personalities keep different schedules and hang out in different parts of the ship so they see different things and are impacted differently. 

My sailing was a few years ago.  Ii is quite possible that the behavior has gotten worse.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BND said:

FYI. You need to quote the post you are referring to when you reply.  When you quote and then post, it's always assumed you are responding to the person you are quoting.  You can multi quote.  Doesn't matter you "erased" the post as I quoted you in my response.  

A lot of times, when I quote a post, I’m not necessarily responding specifically to the author, but addressing the subject of the post to assure clarity in what I’m talking about….