Jim_Iain Live - 2nd Half World Cruise - B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Jim_Iain

1 hour ago, hawkesbaynz said:

Such a shame you are in Napier for such a short time. A drive around the vineyards and a meal at Craggy Range would have been fantastic. Napier is an easy walk around. The museum is interesting too.

I really miss New Zealand pies…. 

Too funny about the pies…we’re heading to NZ beginning of Jan for a month to visit family and just last night I said to DH that the first dinner out I’m ordering a pie….the absolute best! 
Cathy

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

It is an incredible journey -    New Zealand has surpassed my wildest dreams.    I love it.

New Zealand has been our favorite destination with the Antarctic being a close second.  Loved the people.  Our local hostess on the train ride from Dunedin showed me the meaning of cheeky.  She was so much fun I would love to rise with her again

arol

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Looking forward to Napier.     Our tour is suppose to include a "Drive Through" the Art Deco area.     We took a ships excursion because of such a short stop --  10:30 AM to 3:30 PM. 

Looks like a beautiful day with a high expected of 73 F.     Nice blue skies and the winds have subsided.

Jim, now that you and Iain have been to both Australia and New Zealand, do you prefer one to the other or are they so different that there’s no comparing the two?  Just wondering.  Have enjoyed following along with this great adventure.  Thank you for taking all of us along with you and Iain.

Trip and Pam

Edited by MisterMet
  • Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 2:36 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I hope so he deserves it.  He was prepping in this picture. 

We were last in Luminae one night and the were clowning around.   Marcus and Sonny swapped jobs   Some how Marcus got into Sonny’s jacket  IMG_2969.thumb.jpeg.35467e316c2605e24704ae28fd45cacd.jpeg

Hi Jim! (And everyone else), sorry for crashing your thread, I've been enjoying reading along on your down under adventures.

I'm currently on the Ascent with my husband and we've been having a good laugh at this post all week with Marcus. He requested I post a correction for him as he is still an assistant waiter on the Ascent (and in my opinion the best assistant waiter ever). This is the third time we've sailed with Marcus and he is simply spectacular.

He also asked me to mention that he doesn't want to be a waiter but instead a butler. Unfortunately, with the recent sky suite changes that happened, a lot of butlers are still at home awaiting a contract as they have reduced the number of butlers onboard but nevertheless he hopes to change roles one day so he can be even more apart of the guest experience and providing the exceptional service level he's known for.

Anyway, hope you keep enjoying yourself!

PXL_20231215_030444735_MP.thumb.jpg.2765d163cc491152fff7c6c0baedfdb6.jpg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

Such a shame you are in Napier for such a short time. A drive around the vineyards and a meal at Craggy Range would have been fantastic. Napier is an easy walk around. The museum is interesting too.

I really miss New Zealand pies…. 

It was a short stop but we arrived early and Captain Matt extended sail away by an extra hour. 

Didn't see any pies but wasn't looking.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MisterMet said:

Jim, now that you and Iain have been to both Australia and New Zealand, do you prefer one to the other or are they so different that there’s no comparing the two?  Just wondering.  Have enjoyed following along with this great adventure.  Thank you for taking all of us along with you and Iain.

Trip and Pam

Really no comparison so far.   They are both unique in their own way.   Australia and many of the city are so much larger than those of Australia.

I was saying today that Sunnyvale is almost 3 times the population of Napier but Napier is much more commercially developed while Sunnyvale has a very high density.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, jetblue said:

Hi Jim! (And everyone else), sorry for crashing your thread, I've been enjoying reading along on your down under adventures.

I'm currently on the Ascent with my husband and we've been having a good laugh at this post all week with Marcus. He requested I post a correction for him as he is still an assistant waiter on the Ascent (and in my opinion the best assistant waiter ever). This is the third time we've sailed with Marcus and he is simply spectacular.

He also asked me to mention that he doesn't want to be a waiter but instead a butler. Unfortunately, with the recent sky suite changes that happened, a lot of butlers are still at home awaiting a contract as they have reduced the number of butlers onboard but nevertheless he hopes to change roles one day so he can be even more apart of the guest experience and providing the exceptional service level he's known for.

Anyway, hope you keep enjoying yourself!

PXL_20231215_030444735_MP.thumb.jpg.2765d163cc491152fff7c6c0baedfdb6.jpg

Thanks for the post and jump in any time.   Send our regards to Marcus.   He is indeed a stellar staff member in any capacity.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 7:06 PM, Jim_Iain said:

This is my objective of the day.  Climb another volcano

Jim, I intended to climb Mount Maunganui last Oct 30th...but a gale had other ideas and the port was cancelled...I had been planning it for months but nature has a way of scuttling such things.

Thanks for the photos!!

25 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Jim, I intended to climb Mount Maunganui last Oct 30th...but a gale had other ideas and the port was cancelled...I had been planning it for months but nature has a way of scuttling such things.

Thanks for the photos!!

Sometimes we have to roll with the punches.    Mother nature doesn't negotiate with us.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Sometimes we have to roll with the punches.    Mother nature doesn't negotiate with us.

So true Jim, especially in NZ. She gives great beauty but enjoying it can be a lottery!

We ended up doing a visit to Napier on our own, due to Ames’s up on our tour. 

Napier, a coastal city on New Zealand's North Island, is set amid the renowned wine-producing region of Hawke's Bay. Rebuilt after a 1931 earthquake, the city is known for art deco landmarks like the zigzag-patterned Daily Telegraph Building. Along the tree-lined waterfront promenade the Marine Parade, the Pania of the Reef statue depicting a Maori maiden, is a symbol of the city.

Population approx 68,000

IMG_2317.thumb.jpeg.a81c38ea246bb297b0b84ce0f0485edb.jpeg

IMG_2320.thumb.jpeg.fbfc78350f365f67a306d20300f4c453.jpeg

IMG_2321.thumb.jpeg.88b54ed5290f4d86383be47ff66f9c31.jpeg

IMG_2322.thumb.jpeg.7984362f61aad9d582a71a11f5cbbcae.jpeg

IMG_2325.thumb.jpeg.5553b89fa718853561271e7edd4d62ae.jpeg

• Like 8

We strolled along Art Deco streets and enjoyed exploring the little shops.   Street art adorn many empty walls giving the town an artsy vibe. 

IMG_2326.thumb.jpeg.11bb32c65c7f94056381f97c03c055f1.jpeg

IMG_2327.thumb.jpeg.317b8cee37f1f7b15570d7e5094d7ea2.jpeg

IMG_2332.thumb.jpeg.dabece054361dd36a9a2d565f14a18d1.jpeg

IMG_2329.thumb.jpeg.3dbf9fa308abc72d6ad0e5a48c4c235d.jpeg

IMG_2333.thumb.jpeg.3554f94889ee05901d3e2ebf7be4ced7.jpeg

IMG_2334.thumb.jpeg.40ac585e3c27f22d07ba86f542904547.jpeg

IMG_2336.thumb.jpeg.92eaed6b691b93d0f50905c27ef0798d.jpeg

IMG_2339.thumb.jpeg.49ef3d43627fcc066b028366e9bf0257.jpeg

IMG_2337.jpeg

IMG_2338.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

We took a rest and did a google as map had an arrow to the Penguin and Kiwi exhibit that we finally figured out was in the National Aquarium of Napier 

Went in and inquired and they had many penguins but only one Kiwi that we might or might not see as ithey are nocturnal.    The keep him in a dark display and have feeding a couple times a day. 

IMG_2372.thumb.jpeg.bc13c7744faa7e0937e1e9601b15f551.jpeg

IMG_2374.thumb.jpeg.bebf2b923399bebba79a2f2589fc22ae.jpeg

IMG_2375.thumb.jpeg.633f29205869ca969d9d257cee4168c3.jpeg

IMG_2376.thumb.jpeg.60b16380988265cf1a6d672d56b87bf6.jpeg

IMG_2377.thumb.jpeg.faa3fd4f923885917f8515bed50545f0.jpeg

• Like 16

Great photos! I was swimming once in Nelson Bay, north of Newcastle in NSW, when an apparent torpedo burst through the midst  all the swimmers. It was a tiny penguin, so unexpected! It swam around and through our group for about 20 minutes, don't know how it managed to avoid collision, they swim so fast and come to an abrupt stop and change direction. Then it swam off into deeper water. I'll never forget it. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Really no comparison so far.   They are both unique in their own way.   Australia and many of the city are so much larger than those of Australia.

I was saying today that Sunnyvale is almost 3 times the population of Napier but Napier is much more commercially developed while Sunnyvale has a very high density.

Very diplomatic answer Jim…..There’s quite the trans Tasman rivalry -best not to enter into that argument!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3