Cabin changed up on us - terrible customer service

JustinLexapro

Hello,

This is our second Virgin Voyage (our first was wonderful). We were booked on the Brilliant Lady, however the ship wasn't going to be ready in time so we were changed to the Valiant Lady (disappointing but we accepted it).

We were originally able to get a cabin we liked, however after reviewing the app a month later our cabin was marked unassigned (without any notification). We called and the only cabin available was under the red room, and we've heard reports from these forums that these rooms are noisy.

We're really unhappy with this disruption, so we called to try and get a better room. When we learned none were available we asked for compensation and were offered a really insulting amount based on the cost of the cruise. We spoke to a manager, and she was not able to help us come to a satisfactory solution either.

The manager suggested we reach out to sailor service via email. We did so a month ago, and have still not gotten a reply! We followed up twice since then; also on Twitter three times, but nothing...

The only advice we managed to get from the phone call is that we should keep phoning back to see if rooms are available. I feel like this is a lazy response, and that good customer service would involve Virgin monitoring this on our behalf and contacting us (not the other way around).

I'm really hoping to get some advice from this community to understand how to get Virgin's attention.

Many Thanks,
Justin

Edited by JustinLexapro

The Red Room isn’t a massive issue for noise at night, shows finish at 11pm generally, although some people have reported it’s rehearsals in the afternoon stopping them napping that is a bigger issue. I’ve also heard being above it is worse than below. Have you checked how much to upgrade to a terrace balcony room?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JustinLexapro said:

I think I got mixed up. We are in 8370A which I believe is above the Red Room. And no, this was not a gty booking! We will definitely work with a TA next time. 😖

8370 is as far forward as possible so might not be too bad, but also may not have a hammock too (I’m not sure about which don’t, the pinned post might help)… see if more XL cabins do come up from cancellations but I don’t think it will be that bad. Probably no night noise issues unless you need to get to bed well before 11pm.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jon81uk said:

8370 is as far forward as possible so might not be too bad, but also may not have a hammock too (I’m not sure about which don’t, the pinned post might help)… see if more XL cabins do come up from cancellations but I don’t think it will be that bad. Probably no night noise issues unless you need to get to bed well before 11pm.

Thank you. We will be out past 11 but still hoping we can be moved if there are cancellations. Just really disappointed with how things have gone with customer service so far!

There have been some weird happenings but having a cabin just disappear like that is among the weirder ones. As mentioned above, not only will working with a TA help in this situation, they usually have direct connections inside VV so they can have issues escalated above the 'manager' level. 

• Like 4

We book the same cabin for every cruise. It's all about a location that works best for us.

Twice, they've tried to change cabins on us a week or two before the sailing, and we let our travel agent deal with it.  The first time around, we couldn't get our original cabin back because it was being worked on, but they were able to give us another cabin very close by. The second time around Virgin was able to assign us back to our original cabin right away.

It pays to check your cabin assignment on the app every now and then because the chances of getting your cabin back on embarkation day are not very good.

It wouldn't hurt to email them again at sailorservices@virginvoyages.com

Keep it short & sweet, and let them know that you haven't received a reply to your earlier emails.

Happy to report we finally got through to someone helpful. It wasnt the multiple phonecalls, emails, or tweets. It was Facebook messenger! We're now in 14326A which seems like it'll be alot quieter! Next time definitely using a travel agent! Thanks all for the feedback.

Edited by JustinLexapro
  • Like 4

On 11/22/2023 at 8:27 AM, JustinLexapro said:

Happy to report we finally got through to someone helpful. It wasnt the multiple phonecalls, emails, or tweets. It was Facebook messenger! We're now in 14326A which seems like it'll be alot quieter! Next time definitely using a travel agent! Thanks all for the feedback.

I'm always really cautious about Deck 14 due to the the pool and gyms being directly above on Deck 15. But it looks like you have the Fab Suite above you so your only concern will be if they have any late night parties happening in that suite. Massive and Fab Suites are definitely the 'party suites' onboard the Ladyships. As they should be with that much room, unlimited alcohol, and the amount of money you pay to be in them. 🙂 

For future reference, I go no higher than Deck 13 for our cabins just because of the gyms, pools and the fact that those big suites on Deck 15 can be loud into the wee hours of the morning on some sailings.  

Edited by CruisingWalter
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at possibly booking a VV cruise for 2025. Can you change the room they assign you or choose your own? I noticed in the dummy booking it said just like a hotel they assign rooms, but I can choose my own room when I stay at Hilton properties so maybe it's more like that? This would be our first trip on VV.  I want mid-ship balcony with cabins above and below and not near the elevators (yep I'm picky). 🙂

Any booking help for future reference is greatly appreciated.

I’ve been presented with a room number option on my last 7 cruises when booking directly. I recommend booking using  the 24 hour hold option and calling sailor services with your booking number to see what other rooms are available. Others have had excellent luck using a travel agent who have instant access to available room inventory. 

Avoid rooms on deck 8 and 14 though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, olemissreb said:

Can you change the room they assign you or choose your own?

They assign cabins when booking online, but you can call and have it changed.

We always give our travel agent a specific cabin number to book, as we really love the location.

3 hours ago, olemissreb said:

I'm looking at possibly booking a VV cruise for 2025. Can you change the room they assign you or choose your own? I noticed in the dummy booking it said just like a hotel they assign rooms, but I can choose my own room when I stay at Hilton properties so maybe it's more like that? This would be our first trip on VV.  I want mid-ship balcony with cabins above and below and not near the elevators (yep I'm picky). 🙂

Any booking help for future reference is greatly appreciated.

To can choose your own room from the beginning if you use a travel agent or call VV to book.  If you book on line, your cabin will be assigned but you can change it by calling VV,  There are other advantages to using a Gold Tier agent--I'd highly recommend one.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 3:00 PM, JustinLexapro said:

Hello,

This is our second Virgin Voyage (our first was wonderful). We were booked on the Brilliant Lady, however the ship wasn't going to be ready in time so we were changed to the Valiant Lady (disappointing but we accepted it).

We were originally able to get a cabin we liked, however after reviewing the app a month later our cabin was marked unassigned (without any notification). We called and the only cabin available was under the red room, and we've heard reports from these forums that these rooms are noisy.

We're really unhappy with this disruption, so we called to try and get a better room. When we learned none were available we asked for compensation and were offered a really insulting amount based on the cost of the cruise. We spoke to a manager, and she was not able to help us come to a satisfactory solution either.

The manager suggested we reach out to sailor service via email. We did so a month ago, and have still not gotten a reply! We followed up twice since then; also on Twitter three times, but nothing...

The only advice we managed to get from the phone call is that we should keep phoning back to see if rooms are available. I feel like this is a lazy response, and that good customer service would involve Virgin monitoring this on our behalf and contacting us (not the other way around).

I'm really hoping to get some advice from this community to understand how to get Virgin's attention.

Many Thanks,
Justin

I had this happen to a client recently. It took me about a week to get their original cabin reinstated, but Virgin finally did it.  I imagine it is too late for you to get a TA assigned, but TAs can go into the system and see which cabins are still available. (and keep checking until something opens up)

So sorry this happened to you--it is beyond annoying. I hope you will find the onboard experience makes up for this!

• Thanks 1