how late can you book a cruise?

sunsetme

I'm leaving on Island Princess on Thursday--insides still on sale for $500 or so.  NCL are the kings of last-minute fare drops--you can hop on several Transatlantic cruises for under $500. It would make an interesting bet to see if Princess actually sticks to its no more cruise discounts after booking promise and how they'll justify it. Otherwise they'll be sailing with a lot of empty cabins, while other lines on similar unpopular routes or times will do deep discounting. 

4 hours ago, sunsetme said:

When does booking for a cruise close these days?

IIRC, I believe my TA said 48hrs before sailing? I believe the manifest has to be sent to Homeland security for US departures? This is the reason I believe no more ability to show up on Embarkation day and see if you can sail last minute.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, wallyj said:

IIRC, I believe my TA said 48hrs before sailing? I believe the manifest has to be sent to Homeland security for US departures? This is the reason I believe no more ability to show up on Embarkation day and see if you can sail last minute.

I think that is right.  

At U.S. ports believe the deadline to file passenger manifest is 60 minutes before sailing. Cruise lines typically want the last check in around 1 1/2 to 2 hours before sailing so the can comply.

Of course each country would have its own laws. 

22 minutes ago, skynight said:

At U.S. ports believe the deadline to file passenger manifest is 60 minutes before sailing. Cruise lines typically want the last check in around 1 1/2 to 2 hours before sailing so the can comply.

Of course each country would have its own laws. 

I have always believed it was 90 minutes before planned sailing time. So 2:30 for a 4:00 sailing in many ports 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 5:47 PM, sunsetme said:

When does booking for a cruise close these days?

Pretty much depends on whether the ship is full. I've seen people book a cruise less than a week before sailing(us) You need to have all your info. ready to do it on the spot as well as pay the entire cruise at that time as well.

I agree with others about 2-3 days before is when it is pulled from the website and I think the TA portal also. If there are still cabins available I’ve definitely heard of people getting one 24 hours or day off but you definitely have to call and I think the phone agent had to jump through a couple hoops.