WiFi Questions Please ( 1 VS 2 device)

scubamommy!

Hello, trying to search for these answers but can find it.

We have basic wifi (which was included when we booked ) and due to having to work while on the trip ( as little as we possibly can, LOL) we must upgrade to premium. I see they are on black friday sales for our cruise. My question relates to the one device ( with sale is only $2.99 per day) or 2 device ( with sale is $12.99 per day) and how the 2 device counts. I also think its weird that the price difference between the two sales is so great....

So if I get one device plan/upgrade and I need to use my phone or laptop, then log out, can I log back into the opposite? Or if I want to use my phone then log out can my husband then log in on his phone?  Can it be any ONE device or is it specific to a CERTAIN one device? 

And if it is a certain ONE device and we want to both use our phone AND our laptop, does that mean we BOTH have to purchase the TWO device plan ? Meaning we woudl basically have 4 devices registered? 

I'm just a bit confused. 

I hope this question makes sense, any help is appreciated. 

You can use as many devices as you want with 1 device plan as long as you don’t need to use 2 at the same time.  For most cruises my wife and I share 1 device plan unless it is included with fare between 2 phones, ipad and sometimes a lap top.  All you need to No is long off one device and log on with another.   For our next cruise on we do have free basic so I upgraded 1 device. 

• Like 1

Yes you can use unlimited devices on each account but only 1 at at time on each account.  You can upgrade your account directly from the Celebrity app and your wife can use hers independent of yours.

It is really easy to switch devices.  You can either log off on one and log back in on the second device or you can just log on the second device and it will ask you if you would like to log the other off.  

Another option if you are slightly technical is on Windows PC(sure Apple also) Open Action Center - Turn on WiFi Hot spot and you can create a mini hot spot and with the PC logged into the account you share that account and connect your phone at the same time.   Of course this will only work when you are in close proximity. 

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 3

It isn't necessarily easy to share a 1 device plan between 2 people.  The problem is more the coordination between when you want to work and your partner may want to look at their social media, read email, or check the game scores 🙂   
At $2.99 , it's a no brainer for each of you to get the 1 device plan 

• Like 1

You should each upgrade to $2.99/day.  Basic is around 1mbps and Premium is 5mbps, or in other words 5 times faster.  It should be noted you cannot receive incoming calls or make outgoing calls on basic wifi, must be the upgraded premium.  On basic, you could make phone calls on 3rd party apps like WhatsApp but if you're like me, I'd probably be fired if tell my work "So I can cruise and save $3/day on wifi, don't call or text my phone number, contact me on WhatsApp!"

• Like 1

8 hours ago, arealcheapskate said:

With our last cruise we used a Wifi Router with a battery pack - just clones the MAC address off your phone.

Had about 6 devices going at once. If you use the standard wifi with a VPN router they cant even keep you from streaming etc. 

You do not need a travel/wifi router if you bring a Windows laptop or a Mac, they have a "wifi repeater" function built-in, just search your laptop for "hotspot"

image.thumb.png.cac332cc1bd44c2a8767082893b890ce.png

21 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

You do not need a travel/wifi router if you bring a Windows laptop or a Mac, they have a "wifi repeater" function built-in, just search your laptop for "hotspot"

You may want to check out how that works. I can connect my laptop to their ship''s WiFi and then use Bluetooth to connect my mobile device. However, that has limitations in the number of bluetooth connections I can make to the laptop. 

11 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

You may want to check out how that works. I can connect my laptop to their ship''s WiFi and then use Bluetooth to connect my mobile device. However, that has limitations in the number of bluetooth connections I can make to the laptop. 

Whatever solution someone wants to use, a laptop, travel route, Bluetooth connection, wifi connection, etc, absolutely test it out before you board.  Most are only concerned about wifi, however

• Like 1

Does the 2-device plan share the same bandwith in between the two devices or each device gets it's own independent bandwith? (wifi speed is important to me)

If the 2-devices share the same bandwith, I can just pay for one device and turn on hotspot for the second device because the result will be the same?

On 11/20/2023 at 10:29 AM, NutsAboutGolf said:

image.thumb.png.cac332cc1bd44c2a8767082893b890ce.png

very cool, I didn't know this. Works fine with my Windows 11 laptop on a test from home. So, if this works with the laptop, I should be able to use my Pixel phone with the MSC wifi connection and enable Hotspot so my wife can check her email. I was just concerned that some Phone carriers don't allow you to Tether your cell signal and share it and was wondering if MSC wifi might have this restriction too. Considering how they like "nickle and diming" you on everything 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ccheng6401 said:

Does the 2-device plan share the same bandwith in between the two devices or each device gets it's own independent bandwith? (wifi speed is important to me)

If the 2-devices share the same bandwith, I can just pay for one device and turn on hotspot for the second device because the result will be the same?

The devices do not share bandwith, each gets its own independent bandwidth to a point.  The limitation is between the ship and the satellite.  That is a fixed bandwidth that is shared by all devices being used at any given time. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2023 at 10:45 PM, Jim_Iain said:

It is really easy to switch devices.  You can either log off on one and log back in on the second device or you can just log on the second device and it will ask you if you would like to log the other off.  

In my experience, that's how it used to work.  However, currently on the Silhouette, I must actually log off one device before logging on with another.  PIA.

• Thanks 1