Cruise ship excursion or DIY?

Qwltngcruiser

We will dock in Barcelona on our next cruise. Royal is charging just under $100 (after a discount for Black Friday) for a hop on hop off bus, which seems a little extra pricey to us. Does the hop on hop off bus that I can purchase tickets from online stop close enough to the cruise port?  I know in some cities they are not allowed to come close to the cruise port and you have to walk a ways for the first stop. We’re not afraid of a walk, but want to maximize our time in the city as we have lots that we want to see. 

15 hours ago, Qwltngcruiser said:

We will dock in Barcelona on our next cruise. Royal is charging just under $100 (after a discount for Black Friday) for a hop on hop off bus, which seems a little extra pricey to us. Does the hop on hop off bus that I can purchase tickets from online stop close enough to the cruise port?  I know in some cities they are not allowed to come close to the cruise port and you have to walk a ways for the first stop. We’re not afraid of a walk, but want to maximize our time in the city as we have lots that we want to see. 

Hi,

Barcelona Touristic bus hop on/off costs 33 euro per adult and 18 euro per child.

I just come from searching on the web and today there's a 10% discount buying online.

Nearest touristic stop is 3,5 km away from the pier (inside the port but away) so you will need a taxi.

Taxi shouldn't cost more than 10 euro (and 10 euro return) for that journey.

Barcelona touristic bus has two routes, 2 hours round each one.

Have a look here

https://pro.static2.holabarcelona.com/documents/Mapa_Rutes_Barcelona_Bus_Turistic_2022.pdf?_gl=1*5458x4*_ga*MTIxMzQyNDQ4MC4xNzAwNTQ5MjQx*_ga_QYBCBFBCQM*MTcwMDU0OTI0MS4xLjEuMTcwMDU0OTI0MS42MC4wLjA.&_ga=2.223187355.1472067180.1700549241-1213424480.1700549241

May you have enough time, try to take both of them

But... it is strongly recommended to hop off at Plaza Catalunya and walk across Ramblas (1,4 km) to the port (and take the taxi back there). It is a pity, buses do not cross that street.

• Thanks 1

When you want to "maximize" what you see/do, a HoHo bus may not be the best option.  Consider how much time you will spend just waiting for the next HoHo bus at each stop where you decide to hop off.  Barcelona has a decent public transportation system (Metro and buses) which is relatively inexpensive.  Rather than spending the money on a HoHo, you might be better-off using a combination of the Metro, local buses, and your feet.  While HoHo's are certainly a great option for those who are too lazy to do their own homework (on how to get from point A to point B) the reward for planning your own transport will be to save substantial time (it can be hours) waiting for buses.

Hank

On 11/20/2023 at 3:07 PM, Qwltngcruiser said:

want to maximize our time in the city as we have lots that we want to see. 

When reading past threads and posts about Barcelona sightseeing, you will read that a popular option is to take a taxi from the port to the Sagrada Familia, assuming of course that  that will be one of your sightseeing choices.  And remember to pre-book your entry ahead of time.

And if you have already decided which sights, attractions or areas you want to visit, you could first of all try to group them by area, as that would be a helpful start as you will be able to see how close some are to others.

And yes, Barcelona has an excellent public transport system,  and depending on your chosen activities, it can be relatively easy to walk between some of them.  You should be able to find much online  info about public transport , together with advice on how to use it. Also online maps of the city.

It is an amazing city to visit and some pre-trip "homework" should be well rewarded.  Enjoy.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

. . . . While HoHo's are certainly a great option for those who are too lazy to do their own homework (on how to get from point A to point B) the reward for planning your own transport will be to save substantial time (it can be hours) waiting for buses.

Hank

There are reasons other than being lazy that someone, such as the OP, may choose to do a HOHO tour.  Granted they aren't efficient for straight transportation between point A and point B, but some people find them enjoyable for different reasons. They can provide an overview of an unfamiliar, large, spread-out city.  Buses and subways are not without their waiting times, and no sightseeing can be done from a subway car.  They can offer commentary on the sights that some people find enjoyable.   A one-day cruise stop may not allow enough time for walking between sites, or some people's feet may not be up to extensive walking.  

I plan on taking the Barcelona HOHO on the day I land, jet-lagged, for a pre-cruise stay.  Thank you, @Zaragoza for the information on their routes.

There are different acceptable travel styles, and offering alternatives rather than answering the OP's specific question struck me as a bit odd.   The OP may have done his or her research and this was their choice.  

Edited by Joanne G.

Perhaps we should have been more "port specific"  :).  Many first time visitors to Barcelona, especially those who have a limited amount of time, will generally focus on the Ramblas, adjacent Gothic Quarter, Sagrada Familia, and perhaps Parc Guell.  The Ramblas/Gothic Quarter area is best enjoyed on foot as much of this area is about the street atmosphere, cafes, the indoor La Boquria Market (enter right off the Ramblas), the Cathedral in the Gothic Quarter, etc.  For somebody coming from the port it makes sense to grab transportation from the port to the base of the Ramblas (near the Columbus Statue) and start walking.  A large bus is worthless for this section of Barcelona.  The cost from the port to the Ramblas varies from free (if you walk or your ship has a free shuttle) to a few Euros.  To visit Sagrada Familia, we often suggest just grabbing a taxi although it can be done by public transit.  

The other big issue is that many sites (i.e. Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell, etc) now work with timed entree tickets which should generally be purchased in advance.  Otherwise, you may face a long queue to buy tickets at the site and may not be able to get entree for hours (it could even be sold-out for the day).  There are also companies that sell skip the line tickets which also involve timed entrance.  Using HoHo buses does not normally work well with timed entrance since one cannot always time those buses.  While HoHos are nice if one wants to simply ride around some of the streets of town, they may not be very helpful for those who actually want to visit the most popular sites.

For those with more time we also suggest visiting one or more the Gaudi houses (and no, you cannot see the inside of these interesting houses from a bus).  

Hank

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

There are reasons other than being lazy that someone, such as the OP, may choose to do a HOHO tour.  Granted they aren't efficient for straight transportation between point A and point B, but some people find them enjoyable for different reasons. They can provide an overview of an unfamiliar, large, spread-out city.  Buses and subways are not without their waiting times, and no sightseeing can be done from a subway car.  They can offer commentary on the sights that some people find enjoyable.   A one-day cruise stop may not allow enough time for walking between sites, or some people's feet may not be up to extensive walking.  

I plan on taking the Barcelona HOHO on the day I land, jet-lagged, for a pre-cruise stay.  Thank you, @Zaragoza for the information on their routes.

There are different acceptable travel styles, and offering alternatives rather than answering the OP's specific question struck me as a bit odd.   The OP may have done his or her research and this was their choice.  

I’ve used HOHO buses in a number of European cities and have to say that my experience using them in Barcelona (and Rome) were such that I would not recommend them in either city ASSUMING you want to use the “hop on hop off” functionality. In both cities I found the service is oversold resulting in too many riders and too few seats on buses, thus resulting in crowding — if you get off the bus at a stop, two or three buses may pass you by before you are able to get back on due to no empty seats.

Additionally, traffic is very dense in both cities, and buses can’t efficiently get around their loops. Sometimes several buses will show up in quick succession, other times you can stand and wait a long time for one to show up.

As already pointed out, you can’t really “see” some of the sites of interest from the bus due to pedestrian-only areas.

Finally, and I’m not making this up, you can actually walk faster than the bus when traffic is heavy. I’ve done it.

If you want to use it on the first day of a multi-use visit, fine. But if someone only has a day and a number of “must see” places, I would strongly suggest looking at other options.

I see no issues with experienced travelers passing on the benefit of their own experiences….

• Like 2

Hi all of you

I explained how to get the HOHO bus just after the first question.

I always try to avoid those HOHO, I rather prefer DOY visits and my last experience with these buses was awful.

But I understand everyone has its own preferences, so I explained all information about the Barcelona HOHO bus and may someone needs further information, do not hesitate to ask, even to share info to be translated or so

Some hints about it

1st- it is almost mandatory to get off the pier by taxi. Second option is by shuttle bus. Should you want to go just to city centre, you get off the ship and there's a shuttle, you may get it. Other option... a taxi will not increase the amount too much.

You can see Barcelona port is located besides city centre but distance between nearest Cruise terminal to nearest underground station is about 4 km, so walking is not an option.

Taxi... at least to "Plaza de Colon"

2nd- Las Ramblas street (free translation "watercourse street" IS A MUST) and HOHO bus doesn't cross that street. So I said I would hop off in Pl Catalunya and walk for 1,3 to the sea, and later a taxi.

But please, to all of you, do not leave Barcelona without being in Las Ramblas. As said, it is a must, and it is just besides the port

3rd- As said, HOHO buses do not cross Las Ramblas. 

However, there are some bus lines that cross Las Ramblas, Via Laietana and some other streets not so narrow in the old-town.

4th- Despite question was about HOHO bus, I will offer my own suggestion for a DOY visit in Barcelona

- take the port shuttle bus from the pier to Pl. Colon

- walk along the Port in Moll de la Fusta (from the Catalan, translated as Wood Docklands)

- keep on until Santa Maria del Mar church, 

- walk along the Born quartier, keep on until Via Laietana

- visit the Cathedral and all around

- go back (along all narrow streets) to Plaza Colon

- walk on Las Ramblas Street. 

- After Liceo theatre (there's an underground station with that name, the only one in the middle of Las Ramblas) go to Boqueria market (just one block behind Las Ramblas)

- Back to Las Ramblas up to Pl Catalunya

- go to Paseo de Gracia, 

- visit all Art Nouveau buildings. The most known is Casa Batllo, designed by A.Gaudi but there are some ones that deserves to be visited, at least spotted from the street.

From Casa Batllo to the Port you have 2,1 km walking. You can get Line 3 of the underground from Paseo de Gracia to Drassanes  (translated from the Catalan: Dockyards) stations. May you have walked more, any station is fine to get back to the port.

Get the Port shuttle bus (or a taxi) to your ship.

If you have enough time, Sagrada Familia is just three stations away (and one transfer, from line 3 to line 5) from Casa Batllo in Paseo de Gracia. 

Go, spot, walk around and back to the ship.

PS. Ask whatever you want about Barcelona, and DOY visits.

I will do a cruise in other countries next year, we will be a 14 people group and I am planning all DOY visits (budget is OK for a 2 people visit, not the same for a 14 people group.....).

I have done some cruises in the past mixing ship excursions and other with DOY. Today I would do all of them as DOY.

May I can help you about Barcelona, just ask.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Joanne G. said:

There are reasons other than being lazy that someone, such as the OP, may choose to do a HOHO tour.

Very true and for an overview of a city, especially a large one, they can be great for an overview providing you stay on for the full route and have a seat which isn't actually exposed to very hot sun, or to rain.

We gave up on HOHOS quite a number of years ago when we tired of losing long periods of time standing waiting for the next one with available seats to come along. 

Had become increasingly jaded with them by then anyway, not only for the waiting times, but also for the seating.  As we were travelling as a couple, we were finding that sometimes one of us had to sit upstairs and the other downstairs as these were the only two seats available.  And sometimes on bad weather days, the only seating available was on the open upper level.  In one city the driver pulled a tarp-style cover over the open seating as a weather protector, but that meant we saw almost nothing. On other occasions the sun beating down on us was very uncomfortable.

Since then we have mostly used taxis and /or public transport and  our feet to get around. And there is definitely more control when trying to reach a sight for a pre-booked time slot which is at a "use it or lose it" sight.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

Well.... it is matter of opinion

If you go to Paris and you use HOHO bus, you will see most scenic points: Eiffel, Arc de T, Champs Elysees, cathedral, Louvre, Seine, Opera, etc...

but if you go to Rome, HOHO bus passes besides Colliseum but you will forget Trevi, Panteon and all Vatican area. Does it worth?. 

In the case of BARCELONA, answer was.... there's a HOHO bus strongly cheaper than first price published here

There are two routes, 2h each one (hint, in the past there was a third one with a 40m tour)

but I think a DOY excursion along Ramblas, Gothic quartier and Paseo de Gracia deserves much more than HOHO tour.

HOHO bus doesn't cross Ramblas

• Like 2

On 11/21/2023 at 3:55 PM, alserrod said:

Hi all of you

. . . . I explained how to get the HOHO bus just after the first question. . . .

Thank you for all the good information.   (I feel silly that I mistakenly tagged the wrong screen name to thank in my previous post.)

On 11/22/2023 at 8:22 AM, Hlitner said:

Perhaps we should have been more "port specific"  :).  Many first time visitors to Barcelona, especially those who have a limited amount of time, will generally focus on the Ramblas, adjacent Gothic Quarter, Sagrada Familia, and perhaps Parc Guell.  The Ramblas/Gothic Quarter area is best enjoyed on foot as much of this area is about the street atmosphere, cafes, the indoor La Boquria Market (enter right off the Ramblas), the Cathedral in the Gothic Quarter, etc.  For somebody coming from the port it makes sense to grab transportation from the port to the base of the Ramblas (near the Columbus Statue) and start walking.  A large bus is worthless for this section of Barcelona.  The cost from the port to the Ramblas varies from free (if you walk or your ship has a free shuttle) to a few Euros.  To visit Sagrada Familia, we often suggest just grabbing a taxi although it can be done by public transit.  

The other big issue is that many sites (i.e. Sagrada Familia, Parc Guell, etc) now work with timed entree tickets which should generally be purchased in advance.  Otherwise, you may face a long queue to buy tickets at the site and may not be able to get entree for hours (it could even be sold-out for the day).  There are also companies that sell skip the line tickets which also involve timed entrance.  Using HoHo buses does not normally work well with timed entrance since one cannot always time those buses.  While HoHos are nice if one wants to simply ride around some of the streets of town, they may not be very helpful for those who actually want to visit the most popular sites.

For those with more time we also suggest visiting one or more the Gaudi houses (and no, you cannot see the inside of these interesting houses from a bus).  

Hank

That's pretty much what we did last time. Pre-booked Sagrada Familia tickets for 9am (so recommend that time-slot if you do - we were first in and able to go through and take many photos before it filled up!). Taxi from the ship to Sagrada Familia was cheap. Then walked from Sagrada Familia.. went to the Gothic quarter.. La Ramblas etc. Then a cheap taxi ride back to the ship at the end of the day. All very easy.. and nowhere near what the ship wants to charge the OP. 

• Like 3

On 11/22/2023 at 10:15 PM, Over from NZ said:

That's pretty much what we did last time. Pre-booked Sagrada Familia tickets for 9am (so recommend that time-slot if you do - we were first in and able to go through and take many photos before it filled up!). Taxi from the ship to Sagrada Familia was cheap. Then walked from Sagrada Familia.. went to the Gothic quarter.. La Ramblas etc. Then a cheap taxi ride back to the ship at the end of the day. All very easy.. and nowhere near what the ship wants to charge the OP. 

We did something very similar to this, only we went to Gothic Quarter in the morning since we knew we would do a lot of walking outside there and wanted to get there in the cooler part of the day. We taxied there from the ship spent the morning exploring there, visited the cathedral, and had lunch at a wonderful tapas place and then taxied over to Sagrada Familia where we had pre-reserved tickets in the afternoon. And then we caught a taxi back to the ship. It was really easy and way more cost effective than a ship tour. I loved Barcelona - it’s a beautiful city!

• Like 1

Barcelona is a wonderful city and while we did the HOHO, we were there for 4 days.  If it only a port of call, as others have said, it is not a suggested way to see all the wonderful quarters. 

Get a cab, go to the Gothic Quarter, La Rambla, and walk to as many places as you can (including Parc Guell if you can).   Traffic in Barcelona is so very busy, that we found that we were able to reach places faster by foot than by cab.   And yes, go for tapas for lunch! 

Also, even though we had booked Sagrada Familia tickets and a guided tour in advance, it was so very packed, I would have been happy just to see the grandness of the outside.  That's just me. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mimiya11 said:

Barcelona is a wonderful city and while we did the HOHO, we were there for 4 days.  If it only a port of call, as others have said, it is not a suggested way to see all the wonderful quarters. 

Get a cab, go to the Gothic Quarter, La Rambla, and walk to as many places as you can (including Parc Guell if you can).   Traffic in Barcelona is so very busy, that we found that we were able to reach places faster by foot than by cab.   And yes, go for tapas for lunch! 

Also, even though we had booked Sagrada Familia tickets and a guided tour in advance, it was so very packed, I would have been happy just to see the grandness of the outside.  That's just me. 

I agree wit most of what you've said - apart from the part about skipping the inside of Sagrada Familia. It's phenomenal we felt. The solution - book for 9am. We were the first people in! By the time it was starting to fill up.. we'd already had a decent wander.. taken all our pics etc with not too many in there.. and were ready to leave. 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Over from NZ said:

I agree wit most of what you've said - apart from the part about skipping the inside of Sagrada Familia. It's phenomenal we felt. The solution - book for 9am. We were the first people in! By the time it was starting to fill up.. we'd already had a decent wander.. taken all our pics etc with not too many in there.. and were ready to leave. 🙂 

Absolutely, take the first timed ticket available.  On a sunny day the interior lights up with color.

IMG_7552.thumb.JPG.5f0afad70f9db91123d3c4007a956506.JPGIMG_7578.thumb.JPG.c5d728ccd8ed422fe8ffda80be8efb51.JPG

• Like 2

For traffic jams, remember you always have underground.

>> "Drassanes" is the nearest station to the pier (you will need the port shuttle or a taxi, but you will have avoided all jams)

>> "Liceu" is in the middle of La Rambla (Drassanes is Rambla south and Catalunya is Rambla north)

>> Cathedral is just 500m away from "Liceu" and 200m away from "Jaume I"

>> "Barceloneta" is near Santa Maria del Mar church and besides the port. There's 1 km from Barceloneta to Drassanes station on foot. You can finish there and go walking along the port before shuttle or taxi

>> "Lesseps" or "Valcarca" for Parque Güell. It is out of this map, line 3 so no change needed from the Port

>> "Sagrada Familia" just in front of basilica

>> "Ps Gracia" and "Diagonal" for all Art Nouveau in Barcelona

I am absolutely sure that anyone who has travelled in other undergrounds, will not have any problem in Barcelona.

metro-tickets.png

Count us among those who really enjoy the interior of Sagrada Familia.  DW and I first visited that place over thirty years ago, and it has been fascinating to return again and again to see the progress.  While some project it will be finished in 2026, that remains to be seen (and we are skeptical).  The first stones were laid in 1882, so more delays would not shock anyone :).

Hank

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Count us among those who really enjoy the interior of Sagrada Familia.  DW and I first visited that place over thirty years ago, and it has been fascinating to return again and again to see the progress.  While some project it will be finished in 2026, that remains to be seen (and we are skeptical).  The first stones were laid in 1882, so more delays would not shock anyone :).

Hank

We also return again and again.  The first time we saw it was closer to 40 than 30 years ago. We walked into the site which was full of weeds. There was no roof.  You could look straight up to the sky.  It really amazes us the way it has grown to almost completion.  The most striking was when we were there shortly after all the stained glass windows were installed.  The colors are magical. Hopefully, we will see that main tower completed in the future.  That will be quite an accomplishment considering that it is meant to be just a few meters shorter than the Tibidabo mountain that overlooks Barcelona.  Gaudí believed that no work of man should be higher than a work of God (but it could come close.)

• Like 3

Well.... just some few meters less...

Sagrada Familia is 172m heigh

Tibidabo mountain is 512, heigh

BTW, for people who already had visited Barcelona I recommend, in second visit, to go to Tibidabo. It is possible after underground, old tramway and a cable car and views are really scenic.

Here you have a Barcelona landscape since Tibidabo. The monument in the left is Sagrada Familia

88290850-barcelona-vista-panorámica-desde-el-tibidabo-montaña-españa-europa.jpg

3 hours ago, alserrod said:

Well.... just some few meters less...

Sagrada Familia is 172m heigh

Tibidabo mountain is 512, heigh

BTW, for people who already had visited Barcelona I recommend, in second visit, to go to Tibidabo. It is possible after underground, old tramway and a cable car and views are really scenic.

Here you have a Barcelona landscape since Tibidabo. The monument in the left is Sagrada Familia

88290850-barcelona-vista-panorámica-desde-el-tibidabo-montaña-españa-europa.jpg

Sorry! I should have said Montjuic, NOT Tibidabo! 

The local hill, not the local mountain. 

Montjuic is 173 meters. The tower will be 170 meters.

Edited by marazul